Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people from the Celtic countries ethnically still different from the English?
Yes, they aren't any more English than a German or an Italian is, totally different ethnicity 36 24.49%
They're somewhat closer to being English than any other ethnicities are, but they're still different enough 74 50.34%
I consider all British Isles groups one single meta-ethnicity 37 25.17%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 PM

2,672 posts, read 5,451,295 times

Advertisements

It is too much to hope for some intelligent discussion on the subject without all the barely veiled racism all directed at me. A few people here come across very Stormfront like. It's not a good look. I suppose people want the Irish to be different than the rest of the people in their location to satisfy their racism. This is seen in the comments directed at me regarding me wanting to be "Germanic" and the Irish don't look like the English because they are not "Germanic".

I've just pointed out the genetics which is science and nothing to do with people's preconceived ideas. If some people can't accept this please leave your snidy comments out of it and make a comment showing some intelligence. I'm surprised at the vitriol directed at me. I've never come across anything like this directed at me to my face.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:11 AM

Here is a diagram of where the Iron Age Briton plots on a genetic graph.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...=sharing&pli=1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...=sharing&pli=1

Old 10-10-2014, 05:09 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,072,323 times
Bernie

Don't bother with them.
How could they be racist against Irish when most Americans/English have Irish blood?
It has probably something to do with religion, which is stupid since them, as wanabee nazis, should know that their god was a Catholic....as most of their higher ranking leaders.
Those people are not European, since in Europe everybody knows that Irish and English look the same, notwithstanding the fact that many Brits have Irish origins.
They also ignore that the Germanic culture, not the Scandinavian, is partly celtic and that most Germany was Celtic and some claim they are.
I believe that the OP must be the same American troll obsessed with redhair that now pretends to be an Orangeman.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Bernie

Don't bother with them.
How could they be racist against Irish when most Americans/English have Irish blood?
It has probably something to do with religion, which is stupid since them, as wanabee nazis, should know that their god was a Catholic....as most of their higher ranking leaders.
Those people are not European, since in Europe everybody knows that Irish and English look the same, notwithstanding the fact that many Brits have Irish origins.
They also ignore that the Germanic culture, not the Scandinavian, is partly celtic and that most Germany was Celtic and some claim they are.
I believe that the OP must be the same American troll obsessed with redhair that now pretends to be an Orangeman.
Thanks Miserere. I've got a thick skin. It is just pathetic that people have to sink to that sort of level. I'm supposed to lie about genetics apparently. It doesn't suit their superiority complex.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:06 PM

29 posts, read 26,875 times
Quote:
Bernie

Don't bother with them.
Most? Don't exaggerate.

Quote:

.....notwithstanding the fact that many Brits have Irish origins.
You see, that's more like it.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:10 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,199,538 times
Quote:
Bernie

It all comes down from religious wars and those religious denominations they have in the US. Irish are "Papists" so they have to be different, etc.
Well they won't be treating me differently.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 PM

4,690 posts, read 13,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
The Blood of the Isles, by Sykes.

Ethnically, more than 85% of the genetic stock of Irish, Scots, Wales and English is identical.

The other 15% corresponds to invaders that came mainly after the fall of the Roman Empire, pirates and predators that took advantage of the weak position of the isles when Romans withdrew.

The islands were populated 8.000 years ago (some 2000 years after the ice witdrew) by proto-bascoid people that went walking from northen Spain, and the Celtic culture also came from Spain some 2500 years ago.

So the Mylean mith was truth.
Rubbish! There are 17 major genetical cluster within the U.K.!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:49 PM

93 posts, read 74,963 times
Ethnicity mainly has to do with language and culture. The people who are obsessed with genetics are splitting hairs and IMO are loons.

I'm sure many Englishmen are of part Irish, Welsh, Scottish descent. And in turn many people from those countries have some English or other type of British/Irish in them.

But the defenition of ethnicity is " a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language,". In which case they are all separate although similar ehtnicities.

Is Phil Jones, famous English footballer less English because he has a welsh surname? Or is Carl Frampton, famous northern irish boxer less Irish because he has an English surname?

It seems like the "race, genetics and germanic" obsessed crowd in this forum fails to realise that people have mixed with each other. Its rarely clear cut that one person is 100% english descent and one 100% irish descent,

Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 PM

4,690 posts, read 13,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Do you think all the people of the British Isles could be considered a meta-ethnicity now, much in the same sense Danes, Swedes and Norwegians are very much subgroups of the same Scandinavian people in certain ways, or in the way Czechs and Slovaks and Germans and Austrians are close blood?
Oh well, great question! The people of the British Isles are quite similar ( a small example :they all have high frequencies of redheads in comparison to other European groups), but they also different. We could say that the Irish, Welsh, most Scottish are close in the same way the Danes, Swedes, Norwegians are. However the English, the eastern Scots show the Celtic/Ancient Brythonic, as well as the Germanic side, thus are different in that sense. Even the Cornish who are the "most Celtic" of the English, are still genetically closer to the other English than they would be to the Welsh or the Irish. However each country of the British Isles has its own character. The English have their own character, so do the Welsh and so forth.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:45 PM

9,155 posts, read 13,187,624 times
My perception as an outsider is that they have some differences but they are more similar to the English then not. Probably the biggest difference in the British Isles is between people who live in rural areas and people who live in urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.