Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
How can one judge all of Spains cities when they have only been to Seville? If you want vibe - Barcelona, Palma, Madrid. All polar opposites but international cities.
In Spain, over 5 trips, I have set foot (visited) Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, Palma de Mallorca and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. They were all fine, except that I found Sevilla and Valencia kind of ho-hum. Valencia was especially a pill, with a new arts/museum district in one place, the port in another, the business area in yet another, and the historic center in yet another. Its layout is schizophrenic! On Gran Canaria, I chose to stay in Las Palmas proper, rather than the packaged beach resorts. Las Palmas has an incredibly relaxing vibe. I could go back.

As for Portugal, Lisbon's natural setting is spectacular and there is so much to do. All of my relatives prefer Lisbon to Barcelona. Porto is picture-perfect, the people are fantastic, and the vegetation, with many eucalyptus trees, is beautiful. As for Madeira, they don't call it "the pearl of the Atlantic" for nothing. It's smallish, but incredibly beautiful. I took Spanish (yes, Spanish per our catalog) in college and speak it almost fluently. I had to teach myself Portuguese because I liked Portugal so much and planned on going back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
My favourite is Palma I spent my childhood near the city. It is very Italian in so many ways. I like Valencia but so many attractions are all over the place, it's good that the public transport is cheap like most of Spain to get around. I love Denia my friend lives there. Barcelona is so unique!

I prefer Andalucia because it is the most diverse of all regions and has something for everyone I love Malaga and where I live it's not like other regions at all and being 2 hours drive from Portugal is nice too.

I am semi fluent in Spanish but honestly understanding the people here can be a challenge especially my fiancé they speak so differently especially the Malagueños. I also don't like dry/desert/arid parts so Axarquia is perfect.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 AM

244 posts, read 592,784 times
people on this forum think too much and over-analyze...i could feel just as much affectionate similarities with a spaniard (of any region) as I could with a netherlander...

Old 08-09-2012, 05:06 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,369 times
Quote:
My favourite is Palma I spent my childhood near the city. It is very Italian in so many ways. I like Valencia but so many attractions are all over the place, it's good that the public transport is cheap like most of Spain to get around. I love Denia my friend lives there. Barcelona is so unique!

I prefer Andalucia because it is the most diverse of all regions and has something for everyone I love Malaga and where I live it's not like other regions at all and being 2 hours drive from Portugal is nice too.

I am semi fluent in Spanish but honestly understanding the people here can be a challenge especially my fiancé they speak so differently especially the Malagueños. I also don't like dry/desert/arid parts so Axarquia is perfect.
Scot

You have not discovered the north yet..Galicia, Asturias, Santander...or Castille, mainly the province of Burgos, or the province of Leon...all those areas are fascinating and some regions are not spoiled.

There are Spanish that can't understand some Andalusians, some accents are impossible.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Cojoncillo,

My fiance has been on holiday to Galicia but I have only flown over the region it could pa for Scotland
The landscape is so similar. Green Spain looks amazing.

We plan on making a trip to there and the Basque Country.

I want to hear the Galician bagpipes and try their cuisine.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,206 times
Quote:
Cojoncillo,

My fiance has been on holiday to Galicia but I have only flown over the region it could pa for Scotland
The landscape is so similar. Green Spain looks amazing.

We plan on making a trip to there and the Basque Country.

I want to hear the Galician bagpipes and try their cuisine.
The north it's amazing. The landscapes, the food, and sometimes it's good and it's always good take a break of the warm weather for a few days.

But you can give a chance to Castilla y León, it's not that arid and dry compared with La Mancha or Extremadura, at least, the northern regions. It's in Madrid when you start to see the different landscapes, the south of the city is arid as La Mancha, the north is more green and forested. Sierra de Gredos it's only a few kilometres outside the city

Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I was going by architecture and history, thinking of how the Moorish influence is present and visible in both Andalusia and say, Sicily. But Andalusians THEMSELVES do not have the same outgoing and vivid personalities as Italians.

Canarians, in my opinion, are similar to the Spanish Caribbean in accent, character, etc. Many of them remind me of Cubans and Puerto Ricans in general.. many of the same mannerisms even. Most Spaniards in the Caribbean came from there anyhow.
Nicely put.

I'll have to take another look at Andalusia. I was just itching to get to the Algarve, so I never "checked in." For me, Sicilians are far and away the most "entertaining" of the southern Europeans. Oh my God.

Very true about Canarios. Their accent, cadence and personal style is like that of the Cubans. I once asked a group of retired men dressed in guayaveras (sp) on the boardwalk at Playa de las Canteras for a decent Cuban restaurant in Las Palmas. They were all debating with each other, in a very animated manner, and steered me to a good Cuban restaurant, with probably the best price/quality relationship ever encountered for a Cuban dinner.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 AM

599 posts, read 2,593,266 times
Spain shares more in common with Italy as a while. Basically both are southern european countries with similar tradritions, temperament, and languages. French people although speaking a latin language are as a whole more a crossover between southern europeans and central europeans. Id say the average french comes out when you put in a mixer an spaniard and a a german person. But If you take regions specifically then south-west france shares more in common with north-east spain than anywhere in italy does with anywhere in spain.

The same happens with brits, they might be up north but I noticed (from travels)they are definitely more latin/romance influenced on culture, architecture (and even genetics, physical appearance of people,etc) than other countries of similar latitude or further south, like denmark, netherlands or germany.

I'd say french are the most germanic latin people ever, and the British/Irish are the most latin northern europeans.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 AM

231 posts, read 506,197 times
I bet you are the Mexican-American guy that was in Yurop a couple of weeks.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 AM

599 posts, read 2,593,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
I bet you are the Mexican-American guy that was in Yurop a couple of weeks.
you are wrong. Are you mad because I speak the truth?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe