Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
The red hair in my L21 paternal line must have been bred out over time. No traces of it in old photos and I'm not even a carrier of any of the mutations fortunately. Thick dark brown hair and eyes in my line.
How do you know? The fact that you have dark brown hair means nothing. Have you been tested officially to find out if you are a red hair gene? My father has more or less medium brown hair, light blue eyes and my mom is a blonde, greenish eyes but as a child, I had a fiery red hair, which is now more of a light auburn. There are a few dark-haired couples I know who have red-headed children. So only a test will clarify whether a red hair gene is present or not. [/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 PM

I know quite a few Germans who are really blonde, but we can't say all Germans are blondes either!
http://www.europeword.com/images/ger...an-people3.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-16-2013 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
How do you know? The fact that you have dark brown hair means nothing. Have you been tested officially to find out if you are a red hair gene? My father has more or less medium brown hair, light blue eyes and my mom is a blonde, greenish eyes but as a child, I had a fiery red hair, which is now more of a light auburn. There are a few dark-haired couples I know who have red-headed children. So only a test will clarify whether a red hair gene is present or not.
[/quote]

Yes I know how it works and I've been tested and do not carry any of the mutations that have been linked to red hair. Wasn't really interested in red hair though, more looking for melanoma susceptibility. My paternal line from pictures and those that are living are all about as dark featured as it gets without being of African or Asian descent. This line came over from Ireland in the 1700s so it's possible the mutations have been bred out by now.

Last edited by waviking24; 11-19-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Yes I know how it works and I've been tested and do not carry any of the mutations that have been linked to red hair. Wasn't really interested in red hair though, more looking for melanoma susceptibility. My paternal line from pictures and those that are living are all about as dark featured as it gets without being of African or Asian descent. This line came over from Ireland in the 1700s so it's possible the mutations have been bred out by now.[/quote]

Most Irish families have red hair in their immediate family so it is quite common. If your family have been in the US since the 1700s even if they came originally from Ireland I'm sure they must have mixed with a lot of different nationalities now.

I'm of fully Irish background and both the paternal and maternal family have red hair. Both sides also have brunet and blond hair as well. I would think it is unusual for an Irish family to not have red hair in their family. I haven't done a dna test so I don't know what might show up there. Ireland being an island and sun starved was an ideal place for the genes for red hair to spread.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Yes I know how it works and I've been tested and do not carry any of the mutations that have been linked to red hair. Wasn't really interested in red hair though, more looking for melanoma susceptibility. My paternal line from pictures and those that are living are all about as dark featured as it gets without being of African or Asian descent. This line came over from Ireland in the 1700s so it's possible the mutations have been bred out by now.
Most Irish families have red hair in their immediate family so it is quite common. If your family have been in the US since the 1700s even if they came originally from Ireland I'm sure they must have mixed with a lot of different nationalities now.

I'm of fully Irish background and both the paternal and maternal family have red hair. Both sides also have brunet and blond hair as well. I would think it is unusual for an Irish family to not have red hair in their family. I haven't done a dna test so I don't know what might show up there. Ireland being an island and sun starved was an ideal place for the genes for red hair to spread.[/quote]

Yeah like I said if there was some in the past it has likely been bred out over the years. Just grateful I don't carry any of the known mutations

Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post

I'm of fully Irish background and both the paternal and maternal family have red hair. Both sides also have brunet and blond hair as well. I would think it is unusual for an Irish family to not have red hair in their family. I haven't done a dna test so I don't know what might show up there. Ireland being an island and sun starved was an ideal place for the genes for red hair to spread.
Yeah like I said if there was some in the past it has likely been bred out over the years. Just grateful I don't carry any of the known mutations[/quote]

There are some beautiful shades of red hair. They all aren't the flaming red variety. I have the freckled skin as has my daughter but not the red hair. I wouldn't mind having a red haired grandchild but it is becoming increasingly rare and as I live in Australia I doubt this will happen. Most people with freckled skin have the MCR1 gene but it is not very beneficial in a sunny climate like Australia.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Yeah like I said if there was some in the past it has likely been bred out over the years. Just grateful I don't carry any of the known mutations
There are some beautiful shades of red hair. They all aren't the flaming red variety. I have the freckled skin as has my daughter but not the red hair. I wouldn't mind having a red haired grandchild but it is becoming increasingly rare and as I live in Australia I doubt this will happen. Most people with freckled skin have the MCR1 gene but it is not very beneficial in a sunny climate like Australia.[/quote]

Agreed! I meant because of the increased melanoma risk and having grown up in Florida and being in the sun from the time I could walk.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Yes I know how it works and I've been tested and do not carry any of the mutations that have been linked to red hair. Wasn't really interested in red hair though, more looking for melanoma susceptibility. My paternal line from pictures and those that are living are all about as dark featured as it gets without being of African or Asian descent. This line came over from Ireland in the 1700s so it's possible the mutations have been bred out by now.[/quote]

So what? Not all Irish people carry the red hair gene but they have one of the highest ratio of people who carry the redhead gene in the world, if not the highest! Also many Irish have a very dark auburn hair color as well. The fact that your family is predominantly dark-haired means nothing. I'm referring to as a whole, see. The mutation has not been bred out, since in nations worldwide where there are large concentrations of people of Irish ancestry/descent, the frequency of redheads is higher than with other populations. In comparison to most other nations worldwide, Australia also has a high frequency of redheads, more particularly the country with the largest numbers of redheads in terms of numbers is the U.S.! And we all know the history of the Irish migrating in very large numbers to the U.S., especially during and after the Potato Famine. Canada as well. Though I personally do not have any Irish ancestry as far as I know, but many people think I'm Irish, because I have reddish hair. My youngest sibling was a towhead as a child, it now just blond, some people might mistake him for a Scandinavian or for those who think that all Germans are blondes for a German. He's slightly taller than I am at 6'6'(198cm). Though our ancestry is 50%English-25%Dutch-25%Belgian(Flemish/Vlaamse). The red hair could be bred out only if those Irish intermarried continuously with people of non-Irish background, then with time it will decrease. Melanoma susceptibility would be highest among people of Celtic descent irrespective of hair color usually, this has been proven by medical studies done in Australia as well, which has the world's highest ratio of skin cancer, as well in studies in Canada and Europe. [/quote]

Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM

No you seem not to know how it works. Your ancestors which came from over in the 1700's from Ireland were not able to go through tests for the ginger gene. From the old fashion pictures it would be even hard whether someone has light brown or dark blonde hair. Only very light hair would be visible. If you were knowledgeable enough, you would've known that red hair color can skip generations before coming out again due to its very recessive nature. This was example was picked out by the managing director of the ScotlandDNA Project, Alastair Moffat who has a red-haired child while as far as he knew there were no red-haired people in his family or his wife's. [/quote]

Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 PM

Whether people like it or not the Hallstatt culture did reach the British Isles due to Celtic invasions. Nevertheless the cradle of the Hallstatt was in southern Germany, Austria, a part of the Czech Republic, a large part of Switzerland and a part of eastern France. The British Isles was probably among last places that Celts got to and most likely their northernmost border(Scotland). It is within this region where is the last outpost of Celtic culture remains, in what some have called Celtic countries [Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Wales, Cornwall and Brittany(France)]. While in the cradle, it was overtaken by a northern people( Germanics) in the case for southern Germany, Austria, Switzerland and eastern people(Slavics) in the case for the Czech Republic. Below is a map from a French website showing the origin of Celtic culture connected to the Hallstatt and how it spread throughout Western Europe including the British Isles.
Redirect Notice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe