Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times

Advertisements

When I was in Europe ( Austria, Italy, Germany) I've noticed that in big cities with the system of public transportation one could easily get by without owning a car ( unlike in the US.)
How about life in smaller cities? Would that be still a case, or in smaller European cities car ownership is a must as much as it is in the US?

Last edited by erasure; 08-16-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
It may depend on where exactly in Europe. I grew up in a very rural area and we had two buses a day going to the next biggest town from where in turn you could take a train to the next city. Everyone has at least one car there.
Even in big cities many people own cars. Maybe not for their daily commute to work, but to go shopping, on vacation...

Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 AM

231 posts, read 506,197 times
I move around on two wheels all the year, but we have a temperate weather, but I rent a car quite frequently.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
It may depend on where exactly in Europe. I grew up in a very rural area and we had two buses a day going to the next biggest town from where in turn you could take a train to the next city. Everyone has at least one car there.
Even in big cities many people own cars. Maybe not for their daily commute to work, but to go shopping, on vacation...
OK, I hear you that many people own cars to go shopping or on vacation, however if you don't have a car, can you still get by without it, while communing to work or going grocery shopping?
So is it a necessity as in the US, or a luxury (I am not talking price wise, but in practical sense of it.)

Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM

231 posts, read 506,197 times
Not a dire necessity as in the US, except NY, but not a luxury either. I mean, most people have cars, cars are not expensive.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Large parts of Britain (excluding rural areas of which there are many) are able to be lived in without owning a car quite comfortably. It's not a necessity just a convenience. Sadly using public transport all year works out to be just as expensive as car ownership but without the flexibility.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
I live in a small town and I walk where ever I need to go, whether it is -25F or 85F.
But I also live only 3 blocks from the mid town area.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
OK, I hear you that many people own cars to go shopping or on vacation, however if you don't have a car, can you still get by without it, while communing to work or going grocery shopping?
So is it a necessity as in the US, or a luxury (I am not talking price wise, but in practical sense of it.)
In some areas (like the one I grew up in) it definitely is a necessity and even in the big cities public transportation can be a hassle, depending on where you want to go and how much time you have for that. It would've been impossible for me, even as a student, to accept a job anywhere outside of town if I hadn't had access to a car.

A car isn't a necessity in the US either, it all depends on where you live and what your expectations are. I lived in Milwaukee for quite some time without a car and got by. I also traveled to several smaller Midwestern cities such as Madison or Cincinnati without a car and got around without one, too. Just grocery shopping on the bus sucks. Obviously in towns with 50,000 people or less you need a car, but in many smaller European towns (or let's say German since that is the only country I know good enough to say that) as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
varies across europe , public transport in ireland is worse than in the usa , in both cities and everywhere else

Old 08-16-2012, 06:32 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Large parts of Britain (excluding rural areas of which there are many) are able to be lived in without owning a car quite comfortably. It's not a necessity just a convenience. Sadly using public transport all year works out to be just as expensive as car ownership but without the flexibility.
Public transport in your country is atrociously expensive. It's about the same price or cheaper (and much more convenient) owning a car like a Citroën C1 or its competitors' equivalents. Buy a car like that with a diesel engine in it, forget about public transport, I'm going to drive like so many in the UK do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe