Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It doesn't get weird until you go north.
What's weird about the north? How far north is "north" in Sweden? I spent a summer in the north (not the far north), and didn't notice anything weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 04:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 8,155,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It doesn't get weird until you go north.
Yes, reindeer owners will run you over with their snowmobiles

Old 08-19-2012, 04:58 PM

983 posts, read 3,593,218 times
Default occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ummm, no.
Your definition is not correct.

Only English speaking people are western?

Lame.
Lame is to make such a fuss about a term that has various definitions and interpretations such as "western".

Let's just stick to the OP's definition and focus on his main question.
There are other threads where one can delve into the endless discussion about what is "western" and what not.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,605,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I think hes referring to the anglophone world. In all honesty I agree with his definition, I think culturally Brits are much closer to those countries than mainland Europeans.

Now Op, I really have no experience with this so i'm sure someone else will see you through, I would just say that all countries in Europe are different so maybe you should be a little bit more specific. I would just maybe learn about the humour and stuff of the country you are visiting before going as you may need to be prepared.
I'm not the OP but, I always appreciate a courteous response from someone. Thx.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
...snipped....Last but not least, no need to worry if you would *fit* in their surroundings,
You will not be there long enough to *fit* !
Just have a fun time and enjoy this opportunity !
this was my first thought when I read the OP. All of your advice was very good and a good bit of common sense..!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
ummm, no.
Your definition is not correct.

Only english speaking people are western?

Lame.
o.m.g.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
o.m.g.
OMG what?
Since when the Dutch, the French, the Italians became the "Easterners?"
Since when?
Of course OP's definition was hilarious, to say the least...

Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Lame is to make such a fuss about a term that has various definitions and interpretations such as "western".

Let's just stick to the OP's definition and focus on his main question.
There are other threads where one can delve into the endless discussion about what is "western" and what not.
Definitions do matter.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 AM

231 posts, read 504,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
The US is the most different from Europe? Really? Well i'm from "europe" and I find that Americans are the closest people to my country in the world.

Owen

There are parts of the US such as Boston or chunks of the Eastern seabord that have a large Irish population, many are native Irish. But for the rest of the country, more so to the places inhabited by protestants, etc, the buck stops there...

I lived in both countries, and I love Ireland but not the weather. When I lived in Ireland, I knew several families that had direct relatives in NY and Boston, they had a very vivid relation with their relatives.

Maybe I am very biased, but I found more similarity between sections of Northen Spain and Ireland hands down. Of course, the language is different, weather is more beningn in Northen Spain and they drink cider and wine.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,268,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's weird about the north? How far north is "north" in Sweden? I spent a summer in the north (not the far north), and didn't notice anything weird.
Deep in the woods in the northernest parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe