Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 01:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
English cuisine is very rich, one of the most singular cuisines in Western Europe. The problem is that English cuisine only survives in very posh restaurants, clubs or gastronomical societies. Their game dishes, for example, are incredible.
I'm vegetarian.
There are game dishes throughout Europe.

Excuse me but your comment is laughable.
If it's not accessible to the general public, it's not their cuisine.
If you have to go to very posh restaurants, etc. it's pretentious only.

Quote:
Western, white christian immigrants with skills and possibly with assets?
All European countries.
If they are not European, their children will be Europeans, not the case of non-white immigration.

Racist much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:37 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
With continued automation and increasing technology (not to mention outsourcing), a slightly shrinking population is not a bad thing for a developed country and its economic outlook. More people would mean more unemployment, as we're seeing in the U.S. Greece is already beginning to kick foreigners out of their country for economic reasons; what makes you think they and other EU countries (struggling or otherwise) will all of a sudden experience a dearth of labor and require employment from the outside?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Sure, that's the general attitude, so a person moving there would always be an American and be viewed how - good/neutral/poor?
Yes they would because they were born and rared in the us not Ireland so they are american not Irish.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I simply could not imagine immigrating to europe from the us. Europe is after all the homeland of anti-americanism.
I emigrated from the U.S. to Europe a dozen years ago, and have lived in southern Europe since. I have never - not once - run into any form of anti-American.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Your more likely to run into that in the UK. In the UK we have a bit of rivalry between the americans.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
My grandmother was born in Raynes Park, Surrey (at the time, now it's part of London) and retained her English accent to the day she died in June of 2010. Am I not the same (European) ethnicity as her, despite being an American?
I don't get this ethnicity thing. You are American. You are not British and you are not European. Nobody in Britain will ever think of you as a Brit.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
If the quality of life in America continues to decline, white Americans, err Americans, will more likely immigrate to China or Brazil where growth/opportunity/visas are more likely to be strong in coming decades.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Western, white christian immigrants with skills and possibly with assets?
All European countries.
If they are not European, their children will be Europeans, not the case of non-white immigration.
The Americans will need to learn something called a "foreign language" first in order to work and immigrate first, right? Are you willing to learn German or Swedish, or you just expect to be spoken to in English after you move?

Their children WON'T be European. Europe countries don't provide citizenship based on birth place like America does.

I don't see whether one is Christian has anything to do with immigration. I don't see any country using religion as a criterion.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 AM

231 posts, read 505,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Your more likely to run into that in the UK. In the UK we have a bit of rivalry between the americans.

But Owen, it's more in the form of "bloody yanks", blah, blah, not for real.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 AM

497 posts, read 982,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The Americans will need to learn something called a "foreign language" first in order to work and immigrate first, right? Are you willing to learn German or Swedish, or you just expect to be spoken to in English after you move?

Their children WON'T be European. Europe countries don't provide citizenship based on birth place like America does.

I don't see whether one is Christian has anything to do with immigration. I don't see any country using religion as a criterion.
He/she would mean that their children will not only be European by their nationality, but they will also be ethnically European. The same can't be said for the children of Non-European migrants.

As for the language part, Europe and other countries all over the world, accept refugees that can't speak the language of their new country, but they still accept them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe