Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,593,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
I agree about the suburbs... Italian Bauhaus is a great description for it.
I always seem to leave out Bologna in my analysis.
Which is too bad, as everyone says just as you that it is the most progressive and open.
But... there's something about that place which seems a little too organized for me.
I like disorganized chaos.
But, Bologna being close to the Parco nazionale delle Foreste Casentinesi, Monte Falterona e Campigna is a plus for me, not a negative. But then I would say that I prefer being closer to the Gran Paradiso and France.

I think I've made up my mind, it's going to be one of the choices - but my heart is in Palermo, and they don't call it a Regione a statuto speciale for nothing. I will include Bologna into my job search. I have a friend who works at Ducati, and they have openings for international financial controllers there.

Thanks everyone for their input.
To each its own... I don't love sterile cities (such as Minneapolis and Charlotte), but I can't stand chaotic ones too
Let us know your definitive choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Sorry, that city is hideous... and since I'm not a small town person, I don't get why anyone would love to live between Messina and Pozzallo...the towns are ultra-boring and Messina is... well... Messina.
Because I "get them," and because I like the sea, and the hills tumbling down to the sea. It's the part of Italy where I feel most comfortable with the people. Some "stronzi," of course, but many are "salt of the earth."

Also, from whichever location chosen, one could drive to Siracusa, Catania or Messina to eat a meal or take in some entertainment venue ... or just people watch some of the obnoxious things one would expect in those areas.

Come on, i.u., you know there's nothing better than people watching while eating some good gelato in Italy. In San Antonio TX, not so much.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-07-2012 at 05:36 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 AM

8 posts, read 22,103 times
I've just joined citydata because I really felt that i had to reply to this thread.
I am 17 years old and I've always lived in Catania and I can assure you,this is the worse place in Italy,maybe even in Europe.
First of all,catania is not really a city,it is more like an huge and ugly suburb made of ugly concrete buildings.The historical centre is dirty and disgusting and really dangerous (like most of the city)the only safe area of the city centre is via etnea.
There are no green areas,the only one is Villa bellini but is more like a garden than a park and is not that good.The streets are smelly and dirty,the traffic is insane everytime you are in it you risk your life.The people are rude and stupid and violent,they are like beasts.The seaside and beaches are filthy.Crime is everywhere.Nature is completely non-existent,the woods of mt.Etna cannot even compare with the ones of central europe,or the alps.The only good areas of the city are around Corso Italia,Viale xx settembre,Piazza Europa,Piazza Roma,the main part of Via etnea,and the areas that surround this places.There are other safe areas,but they are ugly (not that those that i called good areas are that good anyway).
Overall Catania is truly one of the worse place of "the West" and you should absolutely avoid it.I think i'll leave soon,but maybe not for personal reasons (i have the possibility to make money here in the future,and this maybe the only reason to live here)

Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Also,outside the city there are huge areas that are like "no mans land",where no normal person should go,
Search on google street view for "Librino" to get an idea of it

Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franus View Post
I've just joined citydata because I really felt that i had to reply to this thread.
I am 17 years old and I've always lived in Catania and I can assure you,this is the worse place in Italy,maybe even in Europe.
First of all,catania is not really a city,it is more like an huge and ugly suburb made of ugly concrete buildings.The historical centre is dirty and disgusting and really dangerous (like most of the city)the only safe area of the city centre is via etnea.
There are no green areas,the only one is Villa bellini but is more like a garden than a park and is not that good.The streets are smelly and dirty,the traffic is insane everytime you are in it you risk your life.The people are rude and stupid and violent,they are like beasts.The seaside and beaches are filthy.Crime is everywhere.Nature is completely non-existent,the woods of mt.Etna cannot even compare with the ones of central europe,or the alps.The only good areas of the city are around Corso Italia,Viale xx settembre,Piazza Europa,Piazza Roma,the main part of Via etnea,and the areas that surround this places.There are other safe areas,but they are ugly (not that those that i called good areas are that good anyway).
Overall Catania is truly one of the worse place of "the West" and you should absolutely avoid it.I think i'll leave soon,but maybe not for personal reasons (i have the possibility to make money here in the future,and this maybe the only reason to live here)
Do you like OTHER parts of Sicily? Catania has come a long way from where it was 10 years ago. Sure, I wouldn't hang out in San Cristoforo, but the rest of it is more gritty than dangerous. You think Catania is more dangerous than Naples, then? Per carita'.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Do you like OTHER parts of Sicily? Catania has come a long way from where it was 10 years ago. Sure, I wouldn't hang out in San Cristoforo, but the rest of it is more gritty than dangerous. You think Catania is more dangerous than Naples, then? Per carita'.
Maybe Catania has come a long way from where it was 10 years ago,but it is still very very far from being a decent city.I do not know if Napoli is more or less dangerous,but it is a better city than Catania,thats for sure.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 AM

I cant really see why someone would want to come here.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,030,552 times
Neither. I live in Sicily (near Catania) and I'm ready to leave ASAP. Sicily is the armpit of Europe. I'm not a fan of Italy period, but the further north the better (or sucks less).

Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Where do you live?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franus View Post
Where do you live?
I'll bet he's at Sigonella. Where else would an American be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe