Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,357 times

Advertisements

[quote=erasure;26476646]I've heard about this movie before, but now when I'm watching the clips it looks... well, totally bizarre, including the fact that the opening song is like from 1936 or 1934, devoted to the Russian civil war I think. Totally weird, lol.
If you want to have an idea, this is how one of the most "Russian sounding" rock bands comes across, then this probably would be it;

When you found movie totally bizare, it is and its done to see for that way
Movie was at 1989,around those years "perestroika and glastnost" started and movie is based to all kind of stereo types from that time and time before that.
Also need to undestand that before glastnost, there was not too much rock-bands at SU and if there was, they were mostly "Under ground"....and at the start on this movie even man from communist party knows that this ****(opening song) dont sell anymore

That russian version from CCR was quite good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Great effort with killing the conversation with Rallye English, fighter planes and Leningrad Cowboys -WT ****...

Yes road was veri slipperi.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
I don't know about you, but i'm just happy there even exists a thread about Finland that includes contributions from actual finns. Haven't seen too much of that on this forum before. Might not be even remotely intresting to most, but you could say that about alot of threads really.

Ei sen väliä mitä puhutaan, kunhan puhutaan?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
As a third-generation Finnish American, I'm enjoying this thread too. Especially given what Bertolt Brecht once said about the Finns.

Now can we talk about Lordi?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
I don't know about you, but i'm just happy there even exists a thread about Finland that includes contributions from actual finns. Haven't seen too much of that on this forum before. Might not be even remotely intresting to most, but you could say that about alot of threads really.

Ei sen väliä mitä puhutaan, kunhan puhutaan?
Agree that.
If thread is good, it makes sense to keep it "warm" even sometimes with OT....But there has,is and always will be some who is telling that what others can write.
If not doing this right and if some dot is missing, then terrible things will happen: Internet fills/jams with wrong threads and wrong words,also you will loose your job and your girl/boy-friend and your house will burn down...And after that will come grasshoppers,earthquakes and fire-balls from the sky

Ariete, one question:
If some OT bothers you, why not just giving more "Fuel" to orginal thread, instead of complaing?
Earlier you exsample post message concerning finnish cuisine with picture,I really dont see how that will serve first message on this thread....but I did not complain about that because it really did not cause any changins to my daily routines and it was just one part of this discussion.
Are we on that level that if you are going ot,its ok but others can not do it?

Also, I am not sure if you know this but it is not compulsary to read all messages if you dont want to do it,you can just ignore those messages.

My opinion is that good thread is like a train and OT now and then is like a station, maybe new peoples are hopping in and some are stepping down from the train....So, we are here for fun and discussion, not to fill some mission or for science.

Finally: Thread is "mongol finns etc."and "Leningrad cowboys go America" starts with words: some where at the tundra...Mongols and tundra,ringing any bell?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
As a third-generation Finnish American, I'm enjoying this thread too. Especially given what Bertolt Brecht once said about the Finns.

Now can we talk about Lordi?
Who the hek is Bertol Brecht and what he said

My knowlege about Lordi is not too much, I only know that they have win European song contest with song "Hard rock halleluja"....and before that every finn knew winning of that contest will take so long time that there will be ice on hell before Finland is winning

As a third-generation Finnish American, have you visit in Finland, on your roots?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
My opinion is that good thread is like a train and OT now and then is like a station, maybe new peoples are hopping in and some are stepping down from the train....So, we are here for fun and discussion, not to fill some mission or for science.
I agree with this opinion ( at least that's how I like my threads to be going,) so I'll respond with a comment regarding that CCR version that you liked.
I was surprised myself to discover it, but there is a reason why the guy did a good job I think.
See, in the first video, (although he is playing rock/jazz,) his image is unmistakeably Russian, and very folksy at that. The striped shirt he is wearing is a trademark of Russian sailors, yet at the same time it's a trademark of Russian "underworld" - i.e. vast criminal world of people who were in and out of camps/prisons in Russia back in the 20ies-40ies. So he is promoting this image in a very artistic way, with his choice of clothing, slang and manners, yet with a very good sense of humor.
Now CCR I think has very distinctive sound comparably to many American bands - you'll never confuse them with anyone else, and this Russian singer is catching this folksy twang in their music, which in a way resounds with his own perception/feeling.

PS. So what did Bertolt Brecht said about Finns?
( He was a famous German - poet, theater director - that kind of a person. )
We knew his name in Russia pretty well.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
Who the hek is Bertol Brecht and what he said

My knowlege about Lordi is not too much, I only know that they have win European song contest with song "Hard rock halleluja"....and before that every finn knew winning of that contest will take so long time that there will be ice on hell before Finland is winning

As a third-generation Finnish American, have you visit in Finland, on your roots?
Bertolt Brecht said: "Suomalainen vaikenee kahdella kielellä" (in German of course)

And yes, I've visited Finland a few times, but the last time was in 2003... I've love to get back there again someday. I have family in Tampere, Lahti, and Vaasa.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I agree with this opinion ( at least that's how I like my threads to be going,) so I'll respond with a comment regarding that CCR version that you liked.
I was surprised myself to discover it, but there is a reason why the guy did a good job I think.
See, in the first video, (although he is playing rock/jazz,) his image is unmistakeably Russian, and very folksy at that. The striped shirt he is wearing is a trademark of Russian sailors, yet at the same time it's a trademark of Russian "underworld" - i.e. vast criminal world of people who were in and out of camps/prisons in Russia back in the 20ies-40ies. So he is promoting this image in a very artistic way, with his choice of clothing, slang and manners, yet with a very good sense of humor.
Now CCR I think has very distinctive sound comparably to many American bands - you'll never confuse them with anyone else, and this Russian singer is catching this folksy twang in their music, which in a way resounds with his own perception/feeling.

PS. So what did Bertolt Brecht said about Finns?
( He was a famous German - poet, theater director - that kind of a person. )
We knew his name in Russia pretty well.
Well, what you wrote about this russian singer,makes sense.
Some how this striped skirt feels familiar when thinking stereo types of russian sailor...on my sailing years trademark for almost every one was jeans and jean skirts or khaki skirt.

CCR was the "Thing" when I was young (And still are, only little bit older than young) and to get new record from CCR was always like to have treasure...
Music of CCR is something that I will found again and again, after some breaks.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Bertolt Brecht said: "Suomalainen vaikenee kahdella kielellä" (in German of course)

And yes, I've visited Finland a few times, but the last time was in 2003... I've love to get back there again someday. I have family in Tampere, Lahti, and Vaasa.
Oh yes, this is well known in Finland.
In fact, this issue have some other versions also, exsample: "Vaikeneminen on kultaa"(Silence is gold).

Tampere and Lahti are familiar cities for me, quite compact places, not too big.
Its good to know roots and also intresting.
My mothers family is from southern Carelia and every summer I visit once or twice on those places where my grand-grand-grand-grand parents had their daily life.
Its funny feeling to be there, feel like some how being at home and very relaxing but same time knowing that these places had never been my home, have even born at south Finland...Need to think theory if it possible that some feelings can shift thru the generations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe