Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Spain or France? Madrid or Paris?
Spain 22 40.00%
France 44 80.00%
Paris 46 83.64%
Madrid 17 30.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,799 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer and why?
Compare these two countries in...
CULTURE
Art:
Food:
Cinema:
Architecture:
Music:
Other:
QUALITY OF LIFE
Healthcare:
Cost of Living vs. Income
CITIES
Madrid vs Paris:
Public Transport:
Nightlife:

And any other things you would like to add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,316 times
CULTURE Both
Art: Both
Food: Spain
Cinema: None
Architecture: Spain
Music: Spain
QUALITY OF LIFE Spain
Healthcare: Spain
Cost of Living vs. Income Spain
CITIES Spain
Madrid vs Paris: Madrid
Public Transport: Both
Nightlife: Spain

Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,182,938 times
CULTURE
Art: France
Food: France
Cinema: France
Architecture: Spain (contemporary)
Music: Neither
Other: ?

QUALITY OF LIFE
Healthcare: France
Cost of Living vs. Income: France

CITIES
Madrid vs Paris: Paris
(Other cities: Spain)
Public Transport: Both
Nightlife: Spain

Old 09-20-2012, 02:48 PM

603 posts, read 1,630,929 times
Spain is good only with food, art and architecture but with others like entertainment, heathcare etc, are just not so good.

Sorry but I will have to be baised and go for France.

France has alot more variety in culture, whether that is food, art, cinema, architecture etc.

France's quality of life is much better in health care and cost of living,

France's cities are also have much much more entertainment, better transport and even nightlife.

There is much more I could say but I will leave it netural for now.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,298 times
I find those "surveys" silly, though. Nothing useful is gonna come out of this.

I find Madrid to be the nicest city in Europe. Very clean, I did not see any bad or dirty areas, and everything is nicely maintained.

I won't add much, but health care sticks out to me. I think that, in France, you (mostly) have to pay everything out of pocket first, and then you get reimbursed. And the insurance only covers 70%. For the rest, you will need something additional. And, if you don't have that, you're out of luck - from what I understand. I think that's a pretty crappy system. I think, though, that, if you do not have the money, there are ways to pay for it. That's totally different than the German system where you don't pay a thing and they directly bill the insurance company. I'm sure I didn't get it right 100%, but that's still a big flaw in France, imo. However, I am not sure how the Spanish system works.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
It depends on whether you align better with French or Spanish sensibilities.

I went with Madrid, Spain.

It appears to be a clean, well-functioning major city. Amazingly, it has 11 or so Metro lines that go everywhere. The weird thing is that, from the center (around Gran Via or Atocha), it takes 3 different lines to get into the airport. City metros into the airports in Mediterranean Europe are NOT a given ... Rome and Lisbon do not have Metro service to their airports and, in 2002, the metro had yet to reach the new Athens international airport. I am almost sure it does now.

However, I will have to say that Paris is very impressive in almost all aspects.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,597 times
As far as spanish cities go, Madrid is about twice as large as Barcelona but Barcelona is twice the city. If this was between Barcelona and Paris I might pause and think, but as it is: Paris without question.

As far as lifestyle goes across the countries: France if I'm rich, Spain if I'm anything else.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM

272 posts, read 906,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I'm sure I didn't get it right 100%, but that's still a big flaw in France, imo. However, I am not sure how the Spanish system works.

In Spain, Health was free to everybody until quite recently. Because of that, many foreigners (from EC countries) came for interventions that later were supposed to be billed to their country, but never were paid. Now Health Tourism is over, I'm not sure what they did.

Illegals do not have UNIVERSAL coverage anymore (only in some autonomous communities), they only have access to Emergencies. Before, one month ago, everything was free for them. Tons of North Africans formed queues asking for fake prescriptions (sold in Morrocco), or to give birth (they are always breeding) and asking for food, some were very agressive.

Now I don't know what will happen. In the city besides mine they wanted to build a mosque in a residential place, the City Hall gave permission notwithstanding the opposition of neighbours and somebody buried to dead pigs on the lot. People are pissed because they form groups of people on the sidewalks and squares and do not let women pass, or tell them they are whores because they dress "in a sinful manner".

I have a private insurance, but I also use Public Health sometimes.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 AM

14 posts, read 48,466 times
The only good city in spain is barcelona.. so I vote for france.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Heh. I have a son living in Paris and another son living in Madrid. Both are enjoying a good quality of life.

For me, I'm always just a tourist, so it's apples and oranges; I really like both countries and both cities. (And I've never understood the Barcelona-is-better-than-Madrid thing, both have their favorable qualities.)

Overall, I do tend to prefer French food, not the rich stuff, just the basic cuisine, but the cost of living is cheaper in Madrid than Paris. (Assuming you have a job!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe