U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 02:02 PM

37,716 posts, read 55,375,930 times

Advertisements

I just said that we can cherry pick good and bad things just about every country...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:12 PM

77,972 posts, read 69,907,126 times
The problem is that when someone posts nothing but flashy, ultra-modern photos, then the discussion becomes polarized, and it becomes impossible to have a normal discussion.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,698,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You take over entire threads with your glittery photos, and you begrudge someone posting a couple of photos of their own?
He attacks Russia time and again, trying to portray it as a super poor country. And he lives next door to this Russian city:

Unlike you, who is also far from being reasonable, he doesn't say a positive word - only trashes Russia.

Quote:
The problem is that when someone posts nothing but flashy, ultra-modern photos, then the discussion becomes polarized, and it becomes impossible to have a normal discussion.
I've posted ordinary photos of many different Russian cities. Am I supposed to search for ugly spots? Or post photos of some location 1000 miles away from the nearest settlement?

Last edited by Vichel; 09-30-2012 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Removed the name-calling, to keep the peace.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 PM

77,972 posts, read 69,907,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
He attacks Russia time and again, trying to portray it as a super poor country. And he lives next door to this Russian city:

Unlike you, who is also far from being reasonable, he doesn't say a positive word - only trashes Russia.

I've posted ordinary photos of many different Russian cities. Am I supposed to search for ugly spots? Or post photos of some location 1000 miles away from the nearest settlement?
That's not the point. Firstly, I haven't noticed Smails intruding in the Russia discussions repeatedly, and making ugly posts. But the main point is, that whenever we try to discuss Russia's problems-- and most of us here are trying to be constructive, we love Russia, that's why we try to analyze and get to the root of the problems, because we want to understand what's wrong and what could be done to fix it--"someone" comes along and either deflects the discussion by bringing up flaws in the West or the US, or by posting glittery photos. IMO this is a misplaced type of patriotism. it doesn't help to insist that everything's fine. Once you take an extreme position, then it invites people to post the opposite extreme, in order to try to achieve some balance in the discussion. So the discussion gets hijacked and taken to extremes, (or worse: derailed into a harangue about East vs. West comparison) instead of staying more on-topic and calmly, rationally, analyzing problems.

BTW, would you happen to have any photos of Ulan Ude? I've heard it really experienced some development in the last decade or so. Lots of German tourism investment, I heard.

Last edited by Vichel; 09-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned portion of quoted message.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's not the point. Firstly, I haven't noticed Smails intruding in the Russia discussions repeatedly, and making ugly posts.
What percent of his posts trash Russia?

Quote:
But the main point is, that whenever we try to discuss Russia's problems-- and most of us here are trying to be constructive
YOU are constructive by claiming that Russia is a 4th world country (i.e. close to stone age)?

Quote:
it doesn't help to insist that everything's fine.
I've said many times already, that I'm not trying to portray Russia as a paradise, but only as a Western country, very similar in development to other Western countries.

[quote]

Lets analyze his latest photos:

1. I've got no idea what he wanted to say with this.
2. Laughing at the accident that took away lives...
3. This road from "Moscow to Yakutsk" is a winter road (considered not passable when it is raining, especially in May) from Transsib to Yakutsk (pop. 300,000). It is planned to be paved by 2015. For comparison: the year-round road to much more populous Alaska opened not long ago.

Quote:
BTW, would you happen to have any photos of Ulan Ude? I've heard it really experienced some development in the last decade or so.
All of Russia experienced some development, especially comparing to late 1990's, where the country was in disrepair.

ƒлан ƒдэ - Яндекс.šа€‚инки

Quote:
Lots of German tourism investment, I heard.
Tourism share in GRP is 0.64%, but is planned to exceed 30% in the future. The government has chosen Buryatia as one of 7 tourist clusters that will be created by 2026.

Last edited by Vichel; 09-30-2012 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Removed references to nazism

Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 PM

8,627 posts, read 7,595,349 times
I love Russia a lot. I spent a decent amount of time in Moscow and I count a few of the people I met there among my best friends. But it's not Western... nor should it want to be!

I love when Russia does Russia! Россия вперед!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
But it's not Western... nor should it want to be!
It is Western, just with a twist.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,652,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Tourism share in GRP is 0.64%, but is planned to exceed 30% in the future. The government has chosen Buryatia as one of 7 tourist clusters that will be created by 2026.
Where will the other 6 be?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Where will the other 6 be?
Looks like I failed to keep up with Russia's progress. The new national project has been accepted - to boost tourist infrastructure in much of Russia in 2011-2016. Number of tourists is expected to increase 4-fold. There will be many clusters, new and renewed...

Old 09-22-2012, 06:19 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,652,755 times
I'm looking forward to seeing Sochi in the future. 2014 Winter Olympics, 2018 World cup matches and Russia Grand Prix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe