U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,699,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing Sochi in the future. 2014 Winter Olympics, 2018 World cup matches and Russia Grand Prix!
Sochi was nice in USSR, but now it's just as awful as Vladivostok (one of the worst Russian cities for quality of life) - way too much traffic... And the Olympics pushed housing prices over the roof...

Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,657,859 times
I heard the traffic is horrible, at least they have a light rail system opening soon. I had no clue Vladivostok has one of the worst quality of life in Russia.

How is the quality of life in Kaliningrad?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM

78,008 posts, read 69,950,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
What percent of his posts trash Russia?

YOU are constructive by claiming that Russia is a 4th world country (i.e. close to stone age)?

I've said many times already, that I'm not trying to portray Russia as a paradise, but only as a Western country, very similar in development to other Western countries.
He has very few photo-posts, and they're in response to your overwhelming multi-page photo-montages.
I didn't say Russia is a 4th world country. I said other people had made that comment. There's a difference. However, there's truth to the statement, imo.

Russia can't be compared to the West: Germany, Sweden, Norway, Holland, Austria, Switzerland. Get real. Even if you only compare the countryside, it's like night and day.
There's no doubt that Russia has experienced strong development in the last, roughly, 10-15 years, but it has a long way to go, still. But I'll concede that it's a huge country, many times the size of W European countries, much of it under permafrost, so development is more challenging. Still, if you just take the cities, St. Petersburg, Vladivostok, Khabarovsk (I don't know about Moscow), what you'll see if you look up close is that there has been new construction, some new paint jobs on older buildings here and there, but there is still a lot of Soviet-era decay; crumbling facades on apartment buildings, and so forth. You don't see this in Western Europe, and not in the US with some exceptions (neighborhoods in NYC, for example). But not to the pervasive extent as in Russia.

But my point is mainly that there's no need to post those photos here. Pretty much the only people posting on the Russia threads are people who are from Russia, or who have lived in Russia and love it. We're not idiots, we're not the typical ignorant American on the street, so we don't need this kind of propaganda. We only want to discuss. Good, interesting topics get posted here, but the discussion tends to devolve into polemics as soon as someone gets defensive about obvious problems, like corruption and so forth. If you want to educate Americans or Westerners about Russia, you should find a forum of people who have little or no experience in Russia. Actually, the Politics forum here on C-D would probably fit the bill nicely, haha. But those of us here on the Russia forums know what Moscow looks like, we know what the cities look like, and we also know what the smaller towns and villages look like. We also know that much of what gets published about Russia in magazines is recycled Cold-War garbage. So spare us the lecture, thanks.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I had no clue Vladivostok has one of the worst quality of life in Russia.
There's a general rule: the further away from Moscow - the worse it is. Plus the city practically didn't have a mayor since Soviet times, until recently.

Quote:
According to ratings - about average. Which is weird, considering how European it is. Residents complain a lot that it's underdeveloped - it lacks industry, and is subsidized by the Federation.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Good question. This may be a weird question, but what's the point in Russia's hanging on to Kaliningrad? Do they need an extra warm-water port? (It freezes over in winter anyway, doesn't it?) Why not give it back to the Baltics?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't say Russia is a 4th world country. I said other people had made that comment. There's a difference. However, there's truth to the statement, imo.
You did say that, a few times. And you did that again.

Quote:
Russia can't be compared to the West: Germany, Sweden, Norway, Holland, Austria, Switzerland. Get real. Even if you only compare the countryside, it's like night and day.
Even? Rural Russia sucked, sucks, and will suck until there is harsh climate. How about comparing cities, where almost all Russians and other Westerners live?

Quote:
crumbling facades on apartment buildings, and so forth. You don't see this in Western Europe, and not in the US with some exceptions
Climate and peoples mentality. There's a 2-story building where I live, with a few (8 probably) apartments. The paint is cracked all over the building. Apartments there cost $250,000-$300,000 each. If that's poverty for you...

In US that would indicate poverty - in Russia it doesn't.

Quote:
We're not idiots, we're not the typical ignorant American on the street, so we don't need this kind of propaganda. We only want to discuss.
Speak for yourself (and even you somehow manage to consider Russia a 4th world country). Most Americans believe that Russia is a 3rd world. And I'm showing them that that's not true.

Don't like it - just ignore me.

Quote:
This may be a weird question, but what's the point in Russia's hanging on to Kaliningrad? Do they need an extra warm-water port? (It freezes over in winter anyway, doesn't it?) Why not give it back to the Baltics?
Sorry, but that's an idiotic question.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 PM

37,739 posts, read 55,407,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good question. This may be a weird question, but what's the point in Russia's hanging on to Kaliningrad? Do they need an extra warm-water port? (It freezes over in winter anyway, doesn't it?) Why not give it back to the Baltics?
They will never do it. It's too strategic for them. Kaliningrad is a major port and a big economic asset ( also the only on Russian Baltic Sea port that is ice-free all year round ).
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They will never do it. It's too strategic for them. Kaliningrad is a major port and a big economic asset ( also the only on Russian Baltic Sea port that is ice-free all year round ).
Thank you, this makes sense. But someone said it's subsidized by Russia? That doesn't sound like an economic asset. I can see the need for the warm-water port, though.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
There's a general rule: the further away from Moscow - the worse it is.
I wouldn't agree with this as a blanket statement. Khabarovsk is very nice. Petro-Pavlovsk Kamchatsky doesn't seem bad; a friend of mine (local) bought a house there about 10 years ago, and she's just an academic, not a rich person. Everyone I know there is very happy there. Ulan Ude is nice, imo--it tends to be Americans' favorite city in Russia. The apartments I've seen there are quite nice, and the old part of town, the wooden houses with beautifully-preserved "gingerbread" decor, as we call it in English, is delightful. It's a beautiful town.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 PM

37,739 posts, read 55,407,000 times
Quote:
Thank you, this makes sense. But someone said it's subsidized by Russia? That doesn't sound like an economic asset. I can see the need for the warm-water port, though.

But is still a strategic point. Its primary benefit is military in nature - the " outpost on the Western front ". ( Remember what happen to Alaska?).
It is also hooked up to the Russian railway and pipeline networks, so its very convenient for the Russians.

I think it would be really weird for all the Russians living in Kaliningrad to be sold off to some foreign country to which they have no connection. I believe there are some minorities living in Kaliningrad, but it is basically as Russian as Moscow or St. Petersburg today.
When we think about, Russia has a lots of other territories which are not very convenient to hold on to, but they do.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe