U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,759,886 times
Reputation: 11318

Advertisements

There are numerous malls in Prague and Pilsen in Czech; Krakow has a lot of shopping.
There are a lot better places than malls, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
 
86 posts, read 235,394 times
Reputation: 78
Istanbul Cevahir is the largest shopping mall in Europe, and the sixth in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,701,487 times
Reputation: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk19 View Post
Istanbul Cevahir is the largest shopping mall in Europe, and the sixth in the world.

I don't really know why you would mention Istanbul...

a) That's not Europe. And don't nitpick about the geography here.

b) That's a little too far away, I'd say. A couple of hundred miles for a mall?
A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
295 posts, read 755,440 times
Reputation: 341
Since it's gonna be a Christmas shopping, try combing it with some nice traditional Christmas markets. In my opinion, these are best in Germany, Austria, some central European countries.

Of course, consider how handy is to get to the shopping destination and back, ie how are the air connections. If you'll opt for Zagreb, there are plenty of big malls in and around the city (Arena Centar, West Gate, City Centar One, etc) and also one outlet village called Roses NW of Zagreb:
Roses Fashion Outlet |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,437 posts, read 5,495,191 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Hi, we are currently located in The Balkans for work for the next year. We would like some advice on the european countries that have outlet malls that we might be able to do our christmas shopping at. We do have children. Thank you in advance.
If I was living in Europe, the last thing I would be concerned about would be American style Christmas shopping or going to a mall. Seriously. How about trying to find out how the locals celebrate their Christmas and maybe doing something different for your family this year? I am sure people in the Balkans are not waking up at 3 am to stand in front of some department store like people do here in the USA on Black Friday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,507,072 times
Reputation: 8778
One of the weirdest things in Europe is that a lot of shopping malls, not as big as ours, are actually anchored by the largest versions of supermarkets and sell food. A lot of the enclosed malls in Portugal were anchored by Continente and Pingo Doce supermarkets. One of them was 3 levels, with a great food court and a multiplex cinema.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,437 posts, read 5,495,191 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
One of the weirdest things in Europe is that a lot of shopping malls, not as big as ours, are actually anchored by the largest versions of supermarkets and sell food. A lot of the enclosed malls in Portugal were anchored by Continente and Pingo Doce supermarkets. One of them was 3 levels, with a great food court and a multiplex cinema.
In Brazil, this type of mall layout is also very common- almost always the large shopping malls are anchored by a "hypermarket" like Extra or Carrefour.

I don't know where the OP is located but of all European countries I have been to, Estonia is probably the country where I have seen the largest amount of new malls and stores being built- I am sure it has something to do with the transition from Communism to Capitalism but in some areas just outside of Tallin and Tartu, all you see is new stores and malls.

In Latvia also, I saw a lot of brand new malls and stores in the outskirts of Riga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 03:34 AM
B87
 
Location: Norwich, UK
11,162 posts, read 7,456,731 times
Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I don't really know why you would mention Istanbul...

a) That's not Europe. And don't nitpick about the geography here.
A
Istanbul is in both Europe and Asia, but the city centre is in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Boonies
1,829 posts, read 2,723,441 times
Reputation: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
If I was living in Europe, the last thing I would be concerned about would be American style Christmas shopping or going to a mall. Seriously. How about trying to find out how the locals celebrate their Christmas and maybe doing something different for your family this year? I am sure people in the Balkans are not waking up at 3 am to stand in front of some department store like people do here in the USA on Black Friday
I understand what you are saying and even I from the USA do not get up for Black Friday..no way nor wake up at 3 a .m. to shop, unless it was for some emergency medical situation.

We have small children elementary children. I am thinking of stuff for them and I have scoured the stores in our city malls and the things are cheaply made and still expensive. I have inquired with locals about how they celebrate their christmas and believe it or not....the folks I have spoke with like to have the Christmas tree and the decorations.

I am not looking for the Black Friday chaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 06:11 AM
 
1,264 posts, read 2,143,650 times
Reputation: 1425
There are shopping mall everywhere in Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
In Brazil, this type of mall layout is also very common- almost always the large shopping malls are anchored by a "hypermarket" like Extra or Carrefour.
Same in France as we invented the concept of the shopping malls anchored by a hypermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top