Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,681 times

Advertisements

Yes is it Mediterranean, they have all Mediterranean culture.

Yes there are blonde people there, I've seeen them and not coloured.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 AM

272 posts, read 907,101 times
The Mediterranean concept goes beyond geography, so there are Mediterranean countries and regions that have continental, tropical or temperate weather, and there are regions such as parts of South Africa, Australia and California that have "Mediterranean weather" and are not Mediterranean at all.

It can be argued that Western Europe/Eastern Europe are Mediterranean countries, since their culture came from the Mediterranean. In fact, the entire European culture was centered around the Mediterranean until the Islamic invasion of North Africa and Middle East during the 7th Century.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Portugal in geographic terms, is not a Mediterranean nation. However, it does have some influences from the Mediterranean.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
It may be a lot like other 'Mediterranean' countries in culture, but I dont think you can actually call it a 'Mediterranean' country unless its actually on the Meditteranean! :-)

Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It may be a lot like other 'Mediterranean' countries in culture, but I dont think you can actually call it a 'Mediterranean' country unless its actually on the Meditteranean! :-)
Didn't you said the exact inverse a few weeks ago??
You claimed that France couldn't be a mediterranean country despite the fact that we border the med and we are of a latin-based culture. And now, for Portugal, being bordering the mediterranean is the criterium to be considered mediterranean?
I wonder, which ones are the mediterranean countries? Britain maybe! (thanks to Gibraltar) ...

I'd add my view. "Mediterranean" obviously isn't a rigid concept; it might refer to different things depending on the concept (and depending if the person who use the concept is British or not ).
In can refer:
- To the geography / geopolitics: the countries that border the sea called "mediterranean sea".
- To the climate-type: the areas having a climate classified as mediterranean, and having food productions tipically associated/originated from mediterranean climate areas: olive, wine, etc.
In Europe, there are countries such as Portugal who have in its territory mediterranean or mediterranean-influenced oceanic climates but which doesn't border the med. Inversely there are parts of the mediterranean coasts whose climate is not mediterranean (for exemple almost all of north Africa from southern Tunisia to Egypt which are of desertic climate)
- The the origins/roots of the culture: it can reffers primarily to the countries with latin (such as Portugal is) or greek roots; and, even in a major extend to the countries that have been partially influenced at one point or another with a mediterranean civilisation (most of Europe might be in that case).
- It can in some times refers to some specific images or stereotypes. in that case it might be more difficult to define it scientifically.
- It used to be used to define a "sub-racial" group of European. Today, with DNA science, such idea has lost a big part of its credibility since it has been shown that there are a lot of genetic variety between say a spaniard and a Greek, despite the people having on average similar superficial features.
- It can refers to a certain type of architecture, such as the low-piched roman tiles roofings, etc.

People here won't never agree and will endlessly try to impose their own pre-concieved classifications because they are not speaking about the same use that the concept can have. One might say "Portugal is not at all a mediterranean country" (being right because he use the geographic definition) and the other one will answer "no Portugal is mediterranean" (because he reffers to the climate of parts of the country or to the latin-based culture), etc.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM

599 posts, read 2,593,266 times
Yes, Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy are mediterranean in every sense, so is Southern france although on a lesser extent.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM

599 posts, read 2,593,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Yes is it Mediterranean, they have all Mediterranean culture.

Yes there are blonde people there, I've seeen them and not coloured.
Really? I didnt notice any. Spaniard blonds are like muniain, llorente, (just light brown, not really blond) etc, they are not like oliver khan.

Last edited by Don_Caballero; 12-11-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Really? I didnt notice any. Spaniard blonds are like muniain, llorente, (just light brown, not really blond) etc,
In my country munian would be considered blond. almost nobody as light blond as Oliver Khan.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,681 times
Quote:
Really? I didnt notice any. Spaniard blonds are like muniain, llorente, (just light brown, not really blond) etc, they are not like oliver khan.
Yeah, one of my friends is a natural blonde portuguese girl.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Yes, Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy are mediterranean in every sense, so is Southern france although on a lesser extent.
This here is my very definition of what is culturally Mediterranean Europe. To a tee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe