U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 06:16 PM

821 posts, read 694,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
It was a political decision, because English was the language of people who were Germanic and not French which was brought Norman rulers. What school did you go to? Can you read? Germanic influence was strong enough in a sense that, despite so many years of Norman rule, English was still the language of commoners in England! After the weakening of Norman dominance, English came back to the courts of England! This is what I meant!
They spoke French, not because of Norman dominance but just because French was the predominant language in the whole Europe...It was the language of the aristocraty/nobles..
That's all.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:33 PM

821 posts, read 694,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldetonyina View Post
But..allow me to disgress...I think that the UK is not Germanic... Yes, English could be considered a Germanic language, but...English is not the cultured language of the UK, but French.

English, modern English, is not the cultured Anglosaxon language spoken before the arrival of William the Conqueror in 1066, but a barrage, a pidgin of Anglosaxon and French. Plus, all the cultured elite in Britain spoke Latin until quite recently.

The reason why England speaks English is due to "geopolitics". The official language of England could not be the same that the official language of the country they were battling with.

And yes, despite the efforts of Pangermanists, or the uncouth drivels of non-European racists, Britain is a Western european country not related with "Central" Europe at all, not "cousins" as ol' Addie said at all.

From my point of view, UK (TODAY) is not Germanic (except for the language) but there is also no real link between France and UK
Same for France, France (TODAY) is not Romance,Latin (except for the language). I Know Germany, UK, France and Spain so much and it is so totally different!
Germany would be similar as Northern countries, Spain with Italy
But I really consider France and England to be separated from other countries culturally speaking and that s the reason why your opinions are so different.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,584,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
From my point of view, UK (TODAY) is not Germanic (except for the language) but there is also no real link between France and UK
Same for France, France (TODAY) is not Romance,Latin (except for the language). I Know Germany, UK, France and Spain so much and it is so totally different!
But I really consider France and England to be separated from other countries culturally speaking and that s the reason why your opinions are so different.
So Germany is more similar to Icleand and Sweden than it is to England?

Old 11-28-2013, 09:15 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,549,052 times
Northern France is the lightest part of France, due to a stronger Keltic and Germanic settlements in the past. Normandy is a good example where Frankish, Saxon and Viking influence is seen. Pas-de-Calais actually is the French Flanders, so yes there is an obvious Germanic influence. Coastal Britanny and its connection to Cornwall when Brythons were fleeing the Saxon wrath, but most of Bretagne is still so darker than Cornwall. There's an ancient Celtic link between both nations, however Latin influence was much stronger in France than Britain, a good reason is that right after Roman colonization, most of Britain returned to Celtic ways and to their Celtic religion, rituals and so forth. Many still spoke their Celtic languages of which the remnant is Welsh and Cornish(though it became extinct in the 1700's) additional to Latin for the educated ones. Additionally the Germanic settlement in both countries was quite different, Frankish tribes gave in to Roman ways and spoke what was known as "Latin Vulgare" which an hybrid form of Latin spoken in northern France. This wasn't the case with Anglo-Saxons who were much more assertive and dominant in England and fully imposed their culture, languages and way of life on the Brythons, spread the "fear of the Saxons" throughout the British Isles and even part of coastal northern France and Belgium. To a point where some genocides might have occur, some Brythons even fled Britain in large numbers to Brittany(Bretagne). So England became much more Germanic than northern France would ever be! It took a newer effort by the church in Rome to convert England/Angle-land to christianity as if Romans were never there. Genetical tests show it is the parts of the Celtic fringe such as Wales, Cornwall(who were dubbed as "the purest Britons") which have stronger Celtic links with France. While most of England shows a higher content of "Germanic genes". So we cannot say that northern France is as Germanic as England, but has a much higher Germanic input than other parts of France. [/quote]

Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
You are confused. It's just that the U.K. and France at one time were probably the most influential countries in the world! This is why some might see them as separate, but their cultures are Germanic(U.K.) and Romance(France). [/quote]

Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 AM

34 posts, read 27,623 times
you are right I am Norman morkraad I live in Normandy countries, william the conqueror your analysis is very good
aquitaine also very connected with england '
great common history between France and England since 1066
royal family of France and England cousins

Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,539,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arevaitahiti View Post
you are right I am Norman morkraad I live in Normandy countries, william the conqueror your analysis is very good
aquitaine also very connected with england '
great common history between France and England since 1066
royal family of France and England cousins
Don't forget Brittany too, which is one of the Celtic Nations. It looked just like Cornwall to me, only bigger and more beautiful.

Cherbourg in Normandy reminded me of an English seaside town.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,058,666 times
Neither France or the UK are 'borderline' cultures. What is true is that the ' border line' between romance and germanic cultures passes not far from southern UK and northern France, and actually crosses Belgium. As such. Northern France is obviously closer to the 'border line' between romance znd germanic cultures than southern France or Italy... And southern UK is closer to this 'border line' (like southern Netherlands or south western Germany would be) than Scotland or Norway would be.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
You probably do not know what is meant by Romance or Germanic. Educating yourself on those subjects will help you a great deal.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Don't forget Brittany too, which is one of the Celtic Nations. It looked just like Cornwall to me, only bigger and more beautiful.

Cherbourg in Normandy reminded me of an English seaside town.
Britanny is nothing like anywhere in England, including Cornwall. Britanny is one of the most beautiful places in France as well. The part of France which is most similar to Britain could be Pas-De-Calais, the reason for this, is because it's in French Flanders. Remember Flanders was a Germanic region of Europe stretching from southern Netherlands to northern France, although today when we think of Flanders, we think only of northern Belgium. That shows how strong Germanic culture was ingrained in England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or