U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:44 PM

607 posts, read 2,064,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I over the debates on race.I not going to contribute to further discussions on race anymore as there are other issues much more pressing than race. People here seem so obsessed about race just like the people on stormfront are.

It's not only racial but also (mostly cultural).

British and French are just groups in between, not like swedes and danes vs spanish and italians who are more in the extremes culturally wise of europe.

Belgium also has that feeling, but more the french speaking area (wallonia), the flemish belgians I've met have been definitely way more on the northern-european side in terms of character/culture/mentality/physical appearance than your average French or even britishman.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:57 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,435,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
I mean from cultures, language and peoples.

The English (brits in general) are considered germanic but It doesnt feel quite germanic to me, neither It's people (they usually dont look nordic/germanic but darker and with different features than continentals/scandianvians), behavior, enviroment, and language (although has some germanic roots).

The french is considered latin but It doesnt feel quite latin/romance country in the sense some nations like spain/portugal/italy feel, It doesnt the people (more diversity in looks, many people doesnt look specifically southern european), the language (although romance predominantly), nor the way they usually behave. The exception would be down southern france, but central-northern france is atleast to me not really latin.
No we are nothing like the French. Don't like them either, they have a snotty attitude about them. Very reserved aswell.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,435,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
Northern France and England have very strong cultural, historical and genetic ties. Visit Normandy or Brittany and you will understand. I do consider England quite Germanic, but so is northern France. Normandy was named after the Normans who were descended from Norseman (Viking conquerors). I do think that people of northern France and southeastern England are virtually inseparable in terms of appearance. The French also like rugby, Brittany is the only Celtic nation that isn't part of the British Isles. Both Britain and France are severely intertwined (and I mean that as a compliment). They are like siblings who are embroiled in rivalry.
Yes Genetic that is all. Just because somewhere has genetic links (from 1000 years ago) does not mean they are alike.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,562,817 times
British people are definitely more in-sync with their Anglo-Saxon counterparts. British cities, however, feel very similar to their Germanic and northern French counterparts in my opinion. Amsterdam's architecture appears to be dark/brown in colour, and it reminds me of the UK. As I've mentioned, Lille reminds me of my home city a lot.

We also have similar drinking habits. The recent riot in the Netherlands also shows that Dutch teenagers are just as spotty and annoying as British teenagers.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 AM

132 posts, read 138,936 times
You're not alone in noticing Lille's British appearance:

Lille - the most British-looking city of France - SkyscraperCity

Old 09-23-2012, 07:31 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,365,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Well, you have a very annoying attitude about you.
It's part of a certain upbringing and a certain mentality within a certain geographic conext, if you know what I mean. Hopefully, he'll grow out of it.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 PM

607 posts, read 2,064,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
British people are definitely more in-sync with their Anglo-Saxon counterparts. British cities, however, feel very similar to their Germanic and northern French counterparts in my opinion. Amsterdam's architecture appears to be dark/brown in colour, and it reminds me of the UK. As I've mentioned, Lille reminds me of my home city a lot.

We also have similar drinking habits. The recent riot in the Netherlands also shows that Dutch teenagers are just as spotty and annoying as British teenagers.

The dutch are culturally/ethnically/linguistically much more germanic than the average british people.

On average athmosphere/situation the dutch will be much more relaxed and less agressive/obnoxious than any british group (you can lump here the Irish aswell). Even given conditions the most educated/relaxed person can turn into agressive or obnoxious, I just was speaking about overall terms, and brits behave in masse differently than continental europeans.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,804,413 times
I used to think France and UK were extremely similar/borderline countries, but over time I realized they have differences that are not subtle, outside of the obvious language difference.

France is better and superior to the UK in my opinion, at least for me. France has an even better quality of life, more variation with scenery and places, is even closer to the rest of Europe in geographic distance, even better people, etc.

My impressions of France became even more positive recently, and I already had good opinions for France.

Why do some people make it sound that UK/England is actually better than France and make an unnecessary competition with that? Are they joking and saying that just because English is the official language in UK, and they are too lazy to try to learn some French?

I still enjoy some features about UK/England, and an exciting high quality of life can still be found there, but definitely not as much as I did before and observed a rapid noticeable decline in how much I like UK/England. My perception for the UK (maybe even France) could change, but not anytime soon.

I like France so much to the extent where I want to learn the French language within 5 years. French appears easy to learn and I have some history with other languages. However, someone can still get around in France rather easily with English.

It is surprising some French people don't seem as patriotic and enthusiastic with their country as I expected.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 09-28-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM

48 posts, read 50,333 times
I think England is very Germanic. People act like English is so Latin influenced it might as well be a dialect of Italian or something. The truth is most of the Latin influence in English is technical words and some of the grammar is simplified, but it's still a Germanic language through and through.

France does seem less 'Latin' than Spain, Portugal and Italy though because it has strong ties to Germany and also to Ireland/Scotland/Wales through the Celtic connection. It's also a very Germanized Latin tongue, France and Germany used to be part of the same kingdom.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM

48 posts, read 50,333 times
I think English people actually look even more stereotypically white than say, Bavarians. You do have a darker looking phenotype in UK and Ireland which I am a part of but many of them could easily pass for a Swede or Norwegian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or