U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM

1,626 posts, read 268,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0170 View Post
I'd say it is underrated...

jump4love.com

You'd think practically all the women on the above Russian-Ukraine dating website came from East Asia. And yes... wait for it... wait for it... even the blonde haired ones show obvious Asian features. Shocking I know.
Girls on such websites are company's employees or "agents" (the same relationship that pimps have with prostitutes). Don't think these scammers represent the country in any way.

At least use a real dating website - mamba.ru œамба €” беспла‚ная се‚Œ знакомс‚в в ˜н‚е€не‚е is a monopolist in the Russian-speaking market. It doesn't really represent Russian girls (e.g. hot girls generally stay away from such websites), but it least they are real.

And genuine Russian dating website cannot be paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 PM

607 posts, read 707,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Serbian tennis player Ana Ivananovic looks pretty Asian to me (actually she looks a little Hispanic), or somewhat 'Eurasian.'

sport life: ana ivanovic hot pictures and gallery

I've also met ethnic Russians who look so-called 'mixed.' I don't know if peoples like the Uzbeks or Kazakhs are a transition or a mixture, but either way, it seems that it's not uncommon for Eastern Slavs - particularly Russians from the lower Volga, Caspian regions (of course and Asian Russia), and those in the Balkans and even Bulgaria and Romania to look a bit Asian. I don't notice it as much in Hungary, though. The Caucauses (e.g. Stalin from Georgia) as well.

Are you american by any chance? (or maybe from some anglo country?) Because your people (not all but many) is often weird and obsessed with race, speak about insecurities of your own people (because long history of slavery and mixing with natives and blacks) hence you valorate pureness and hold "whiteness" on a pedestal, thing that europeans could care any less about, they care more about their cultures, languagues and traditions than race, thats why ethnicity is used in europe, they dont see themselves as an homogeneous mass of "white people" heck even the word white isnt commonly used in most europe (except by some Brits/Irish whom by nowadays are little america more than real europe.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:51 AM

24,693 posts, read 15,696,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is it not possible that originally there was one race that had both the features of whites and asians? And that some time ago that one race split up and became white and asian. Like all the people who looked more white moved to europe, while all the people that looked more asian moved to China. And anyone left behind just had features of both. Maybe it does not always have to be someone invades and intermarries to produce someone who has both features. It could be those types of people existing before there was the stereotypical features.
Yes I haven't heard much on this group of 'proto-Eurasians.' If the split between Africans and non-Africans occurred 60,000 years ago, that's a fraction of human history. Each group then diverged, perhaps some groups like Central Asians haven't evenly completely diverged that's why they have 'in between' looks. I think the proto-Eurasians probably looked more Africans, but over time adapted to the environment. So as they moved into Asia they got 'Asian features', while I think European features developed mostly in the Middle East and Indian Sub-continent.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:52 AM

24,693 posts, read 15,696,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Are you american by any chance? (or maybe from some anglo country?) Because your people (not all but many) is often weird and obsessed with race, speak about insecurities of your own people (because long history of slavery and mixing with natives and blacks) hence you valorate pureness and hold "whiteness" on a pedestal, thing that europeans could care any less about, they care more about their cultures, languagues and traditions than race, thats why ethnicity is used in europe, they dont see themselves as an homogeneous mass of "white people" heck even the word white isnt commonly used in most europe (except by some Brits/Irish whom by nowadays are little america more than real europe.
No I'm Australian and I agree with you. The whole idea of a 'white race' is silly, culture is far more important than 'race', but I still find genetics interesting.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 AM

567 posts, read 313,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
This is true. My wife is whiter than Frosty the Snowman, but she comes from a tiny indigenous ethnic minority (as in, they are not immigrants, unless you want to go back to the Dark Ages when the barbarian tribes were moving to and fro) that had to fight for their language/cultural rights over the past few decades. The nationalists/fascists over here hate her people and actively mess with them even today, but in America she's just a redheaded white girl, white as white can be.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:09 PM

28,669 posts, read 14,369,203 times
Quote:
Is it not possible that originally there was one race that had both the features of whites and asians? And that some time ago that one race split up and became white and asian. Like all the people who looked more white moved to europe, while all the people that looked more asian moved to China. And anyone left behind just had features of both. Maybe it does not always have to be someone invades and intermarries to produce someone who has both features. It could be those types of people existing before there was the stereotypical features.
Ultimately, of course, everyone is from ancient African stock. But our discussion of Slavic would go back to the end of the last Ice Age. At that time, parts of Asia were uninhabited. People emerged from an Ice Age refuge in Ukraine (and another has recently been discovered in Romania), multiplied, and became the Proto-Indo-Europeans, by most scholars. (The Anatolian origin of PIE is now gaining ground. Stay tuned for further developments.) They came to live a nomadic lifestyle, herding animals. They invented the wheel, which increased their migratory range and capabilities. They moved east, and kept going, across northern Central Asia into the Altai Mts., which were uninabited.

Meanwhile, in the Far East, there were Asiatic people who in the beginning were undifferentiated. They were the ancestors of the Turkic, Mongol, and Tungusic people. Proto-Altaic. These people are said to have originated in Manchuria. The space in-between the Altai (now inhabited by those people from the Russ/Ukrainian steppes) and Manchuria was uninhabited. Some of the "Europeans" continued to move east into Mongolia. Some went south into the desert in what is now Xingjiang Province, and set up a farming civilization around oases. Others moved into Iran and eventually, India.

Meanwhile, those proto-Altaics moved West, into Mongolia, and began entering the Altai (this is how they got named "Altaic" people; scholars used to think they originated in the Altai). So really, nobody "invaded" anyone that early in time, there was just a movement of people, nomadism. And the Asiatics and the Europeans met, and probably began to mingle somewhat, in Mongolia and the Altai.

Eventually, those Europeans in Asia, along with their cousins who had evolved into Indo-Iranian speakers, gave rise to a warrior culture, which was the Scythians. Their numbers and their own unique culture grew, and left its mark all over Inner Asia, and influence other cultures as far away as SE China. Some of them returned to the Russian steppe area around the time the Slavic tribes were developing, and mixed with the Slavs, which we know from genetic analysis. Some of them moved north to the Baltic area and mixed with Indigenous Finnic tribes to form the Balts. Some Scythians moved into Romania. Eventually, they and their relatives, the Cimmerians and their descendants, the Alans, took over nearly all of Europe, radically changing European culture.

Anyway, to get back to your point, if you go back far enough in prehistory, there were people who had the characteristics of all of todays "races", and those characteristics underwent natural selection, and the different world's macro-types evolved. (Look at Australian Aborigines, some of the most ancient people, and some have red, others, blond hair. Look at the Bushmen, who seem to have Asiatic eyes. Their ancestors were the first people out of Africa).

But that part of human migration and evolution happend eons before what the OP is inquiring about. What he's asking about mostly pertains to events after the last ice age, when Europeans were populating unpopulated parts of Asia, and Asiatics were gradually moving into the center of Asia, (approx 8000 to 6000 BC), and events after that; after Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, etc. had emerged as distinct people and cultures, up to the modern time. That's how I've understood the topic.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,164,043 times
But how is it that Central Asia was empty at that time? How did the Asians get to east Asia? Some of them must have settled down along the way.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 PM

28,669 posts, read 14,369,203 times
Quote:
But how is it that Central Asia was empty at that time? How did the Asians get to east Asia? Some of them must have settled down along the way.
Some books I've read on this subject say that Central Asia was unihabited (the area around today's Kazakhstan, which the nomad crossed), but I've read other sources who say there were people there. So you raise a good question. Probably it was sparsely populated, we don't know by whom, exactly.

And how did Asiatics get to Manchuria? Well, there must have been an ice-age refuge in SE Asia. One thing I remember reading by Stephen Oppenheimer (who's written extensively on the early peopling of the world, and population genetics), was that as the earliest migrants came around the coast of SE Asia, and up the E coast of Asia, from there, they followed the rivers to go inland. (Same for those who followed the coast and settled around Pakistan, then made their way up the rivers, eventually entering and spreading around Inner Asia). What Oppenheimer says is that as the ice age advanced, many people simply followed the rivers back down toward the coasts, and to warmer climes.

I read recently, though, that people actually lived in Tibet during the last ice age! Tibet wasn't completely covered with ice, it was high tundra (behind the Himalayas), and it was possible for people to survive there. So if that's true, then it's likely that people survived in Central Asia, meaning the Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan area.

But to get back to your other question--I don't know for sure how those proto-Altaics appeared in Mongolia, where they came from. The trail I've been following in my research just seems to end (or begin) in Manchuria, for those peoples.

http://bradshawfoundation.com/journey Maybe this will help answer your question. Please feel free to post, if you come to a conclusion about your questions.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:06 AM

471 posts, read 310,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Serbian tennis player Ana Ivananovic looks pretty Asian to me (actually she looks a little Hispanic), or somewhat 'Eurasian.'

sport life: ana ivanovic hot pictures and gallery

I've also met ethnic Russians who look so-called 'mixed.' I don't know if peoples like the Uzbeks or Kazakhs are a transition or a mixture, but either way, it seems that it's not uncommon for Eastern Slavs - particularly Russians from the lower Volga, Caspian regions (of course and Asian Russia), and those in the Balkans and even Bulgaria and Romania to look a bit Asian. I don't notice it as much in Hungary, though. The Caucauses (e.g. Stalin from Georgia) as well.
I dont know her genealogy but she is definitely something and like 8 feet tall

The most important question is : do you root for her on the court?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 PM

274 posts, read 247,139 times
She was caught eating egg rolls..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe