U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,173,181 times

Advertisements

Serbian tennis player Ana Ivananovic looks pretty Asian to me (actually she looks a little Hispanic), or somewhat 'Eurasian.'

sport life: ana ivanovic hot pictures and gallery

I've also met ethnic Russians who look so-called 'mixed.' I don't know if peoples like the Uzbeks or Kazakhs are a transition or a mixture, but either way, it seems that it's not uncommon for Eastern Slavs - particularly Russians from the lower Volga, Caspian regions (of course and Asian Russia), and those in the Balkans and even Bulgaria and Romania to look a bit Asian. I don't notice it as much in Hungary, though. The Caucauses (e.g. Stalin from Georgia) as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 AM

77,970 posts, read 69,907,126 times
That's an incredibly adolescent blog. But to get to the topic:

Why does she look Asian to you? I don't see that at all.

You already had a thread about Russians-being-part-Asian. Do we really have to go through this again? *sighh*

Romanians looking Asian -- get out of here! And Bulgarians are as European as they come. There may be a region in Bulgaria where people are descended from the Volga Bulgars (Turkics), but those characteristics would be pretty watered down by now. I have a friend who lived in Bulgaria for years, and never say any Asiatic-looking Bulgarians.

Russians from the lower Volga--maybe, if they intermarry with the Tatars there.

Stalin did not look Asian in the least. Most of the Caucasic tribes/nationalities are indigenous to the area, most are not Asian.

I have known Americans with ancestry from Eastern Europe, who said there were people in the family album from generations ago who had some Asian features (from the Mongol era). And intermarriage does happen. But none of the Russians I know in Siberia and the Far East have any Asian features or ancestry. If they're children of a mixed marriage, then they're not ethnic Russian, they're Native, and their internal passports state their Native nationality.

There is no ancient Asiatic "admixture" in Slavs. The "Asians" they mixed with during the formation of the Slavs were Indo-Europeans/Indo-Iranians who had originated in Russia (some say: Anatolia) first, as proto-Indo-Europeans, migrated East, then developed a warrior culture which returned West, the Scythians. So they weren't Asiatics, except for a few odd, assorted warriors they picked up while they were in the East.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 AM

Well the narrow/almond eyes (although some Europeans do too, granted), sallow skin: maybe it's just how she looks, but I'm just saying she looks almost exactly like half Asian-half European people I know.

Maybe Bulgarian and Romania not so much, but I've certainly seen Russians who don't look 100% European. Actually I saw quite a few Russian tourists like that in SE Asia. Not sure what their background was.

I can see a bit of Tartar in Stalin, but maybe Boris Yeltsin is a better example. I do agree actually that the Hun/Mongol mixing is minimal, it's more later incursions from the Central Asian Turkic tribes. I see it in Persia and Anatolia too.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM

618 posts, read 2,625,663 times
Balkan Slavs don't look Asian at all, unless of course you mean West Asian in which case some of them do look Armenian, Turkish etc.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM

3,101 posts, read 4,537,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Serbian tennis player Ana Ivananovic looks pretty Asian to me (actually she looks a little Hispanic), or somewhat 'Eurasian.'

I've also met ethnic Russians who look so-called 'mixed.' I don't know if peoples like the Uzbeks or Kazakhs are a transition or a mixture, but either way, it seems that it's not uncommon for Eastern Slavs - particularly Russians from the lower Volga, Caspian regions (of course and Asian Russia), and those in the Balkans and even Bulgaria and Romania to look a bit Asian. I don't notice it as much in Hungary, though. The Caucauses (e.g. Stalin from Georgia) as well.
But you should know that in these places a lot of people do not live Slavs. Especially some of the ethnic groups.And I agree with Ruth4Truth. This is her theme, it was already.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM

3,101 posts, read 4,537,663 times
Quote:
Well the narrow/almond eyes (although some Europeans do too, granted), sallow skin: maybe it's just how she looks, but I'm just saying she looks almost exactly like half Asian-half European people I know.

Maybe Bulgarian and Romania not so much, but I've certainly seen Russians who don't look 100% European. Actually I saw quite a few Russian tourists like that in SE Asia. Not sure what their background was.

I can see a bit of Tartar in Stalin, but maybe Boris Yeltsin is a better example. I do agree actually that the Hun/Mongol mixing is minimal, it's more later incursions from the Central Asian Turkic tribes. I see it in Persia and Anatolia too.
Stalin was a Georgian. The real name of his Dzhugashvili.Yeltsin just an alcoholic, so it seems to to anyone lol

Last edited by GreyKarast; 09-26-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM

14,965 posts, read 13,545,410 times
Quote:

Uzbeks ( and particularly Tadjiks) are a mixture, but it has got nothing to do with Russians.
These people were originally of Persian stock, who were overrun later by Asiatic tribes, that's why they have presence of both features in them; they upper class has more European features, lower class - more Asiatic.
Kazakhs and Kirghiz are nomads from Asia.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 PM

77,970 posts, read 69,907,126 times
First, about the tennis player; I'm thinking that what appear to be somewhat Asian eyes is partly the result of make-up. Also, some people just have narrow eyes, it's not about Asiatic heritage. Not all Europeans have big, round eyes, some have smaller eyes.

These topics keep coming up here so often, I'm constantly doing research to find more data. As erasure says, the Uzbeks are a mixture. They have a high frequency of the R1a gene, which is the Indo-Iranian marker. But most sources say the Kyrgyz have the highest frequency of R1a anywhere in Central Asia. There's a lot of mixture with R1a in Central Asia, because the early Indo-Euro nomads who spread out from the Russian steppes moved through Kazakhstan through the Altai, even to Western Mongolia. Some sources say they made it as far as Manchuria to near the Korean border.

I found an interesting article on the Kazakhs. It turns out we can't refer to the Kazakhs as one homogeneous entity. Kazakhs from Kazakhstan are different from Kazakhs from the Altai, who have more Mongol genetic makeup. However, even Kazakhs in Western Mongolia have some of the R1a marker. A US researcher on Steppe Nomads (Scythians), working with Russian Scythologists, did a DNA test on a blonde Kazakh girl from around Western Mongolia, and found she had extremely similar genetic makeup to a Scythian "priestess" who the researchers had studied from a prestigious burial.

So for Trimac, who keeps bringing up the Kazakhs on various threads, there's this:
Y-Chromosome Variation in Altaian Kazakhs Reveals a Common Paternal Gene Pool for Kazakhs and the Influence of Mongolian Expansions

Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM

111 posts, read 240,182 times
The tennis player, Ana Ivanovic, does NOT or even close to looking Asian at all.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
The tennis player, Ana Ivanovic, does NOT or even close to looking Asian at all.
I beg to differ. She looks like many mixed people I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or