U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM

21,187 posts, read 19,205,790 times

Advertisements

I like the anonymity of trains, I can just go the station, buy a ticked, and enter the train. No security checks, no baggage worries, etc. Ever tried taking a bike onto a plane?

But the longer the distance, the more attractive the plane becomes...

I would never take a job, though, where I would have to travel back and forth over long distances on a regular basis. Environmentally that sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 PM

5,317 posts, read 10,993,970 times
Comments inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I like the anonymity of trains, I can just go the station, buy a ticked, and enter the train. No security checks, no baggage worries, etc. Ever tried taking a bike onto a plane?

We did in 1994 from Switzerland to Los Angeles,
Was no problem at all ...
getting it ON the plane !!
Getting it OFF, My son found out they bent the front wheel !!

BTW, for NON Europeans, this questions may seem weird.
For those of us who have lived in Europe, a normal thing to do.
I used to bike to the train station, get on the train
(The Hague to Delft -Neuling knows where that is),
get off the train, bike to school.

If time becomes a factor !

I would never take a job, though, where I would have to travel back and forth over long distances on a regular basis.

Who would do that ? Altho, I do have a friend, who works in Los Angeles, and lives in Utah !
He comes home only on week-ends. He does not take a train !!!

Environmentally that sucks.

Agreed

Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM
JL

7,348 posts, read 11,842,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Other Half
and i thought it was Old Hag or Hubby...

Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 AM

567 posts, read 905,263 times
Speaking of long commutes into L.A., several years back they were complaining that most LAPD officers don't actually live within the city limits. (Cost of living is a big part of it.) Somebody ran the numbers to see where the cops were concentrated, and they found out that there was one cop who lived in Arizona and commuted by Cessna.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,495,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
So I don't really see why there, at least it seems like this, such a great demand for long distance trains. I don't see the advantage.
I know how much you "like" me (), but I'll still chime in:

Pros:
Trains really give one a "pulse" of the people, the landscape - plus, it's sort of nostalgic, like taking a ship somewhere, and it's relaxing - the food car, walking around, no seat belts. Other than short hauls, the only train that makes any sense to me is the overnighter between Lisbon and Madrid - leaving at about 11 pm and arriving at about 8 am. It also doubles as your hotel room, as I don't believe it has regular seats. The overnight trains from the top of Italy to the bottom of Italy are GONE.

Cons:
There is a proliferation of low-cost carriers in Europe that trump the train in most instances. However, one has to tread carefully with them. The initial cost may be attractive. However, the slap you with fines if you don't print your boarding pass and want to check in at the desk, their luggage fees are ridiculous (especially if you didn't pay for it on-line beforehand), and they are militant with carry-ons. They won't even offer you a free glass of water! However, to make certain one-way hops across Europe, they are really the only way to go.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:15 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,363,258 times
Quote:

I would never take a job, though, where I would have to travel back and forth over long distances on a regular basis. Environmentally that sucks.
There are security checks to access high speed trains in Spain (by this I mean bag scanning, not body searching).

Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
What's DH? Desperate half?
"Dear husband", apparently.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM

21,187 posts, read 19,205,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
There are security checks to access high speed trains in Spain (by this I mean bag scanning, not body searching).
Really? Hm, not so here in Portugal, nor in Germany and probably most other countries...

Old 09-28-2012, 02:49 PM

14,960 posts, read 13,535,315 times
Quote:
Really? Hm, not so here in Portugal, nor in Germany and probably most other countries...
May be after the terrorist act on Spanish train?
Could be a case..

Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM

That's a possibility, even though the bombs were on commuter trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or