U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,354,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh, absolutely. But this is happening for a couple of reasons; reason number one they could never clearly see the West for themselves, and they were relying more on rumors, and reason number two, overall Russians have tendency to either overestimate or underestimate themselves, comparing Russia to the West, (Soviet times in particular.) I don't see much of healthy, rational approach to Soviet times; it's either total rejection or total embrace, with nothing in-between. May be GreyKarast is one of those exceptions.
The same with Nazi Germany. I don't think that many people have a middle of the road approach to the Nazi Germany. Are you surpised? It's hard for middle of the road approach to Soviet Union when you remember that millions died, were opressed and starved to death.
Some say even Hitler made the trains come on time yet it is hard to look at Nazi Germany or Soviet Union without remembering how opressive these regimes were for their own and many other nations.
You Russians will never realize how hated was Soviet Union in countries occupied as so called Soviet Block.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
What I am not surprised, is that you are not even reading your own links)))
Here, specially for you Rebel;

The symbolic significance of cybernetics in the reformation of Soviet science after Stalin - as well as its position as a label for interdisciplinary research - accounts for much of the subject's popularity in the Soviet Union long after its decline as a distinct field of research in the West. [citation needed] By suppressing cybernetics, Stalin was arguably responsible for its dramatic growth after his death. [citation needed]

So how long are we still supposed to listen to your American right wing propaganda drivel?
You never even heard about it and when I bring to your attention you call it propaganda drivel? You should be grateful that you can learn about the glorious history of your country...

I did not cherry pick, I posted the entire paragraph because the years that Russia lost because of Stalin's ban on cybernetics pushed Russian computer science decades behind the west. While the West was building computers in the 50's Soviet Union preteneded that such a thing does not exist. There was no such a science in Soviet Union because comrade Stalin said so! As a matter of fact Russia never caught up with the West.

Talking about absurdities of life in Soviet Union. Why don't you answer this, how is it possible that in XX century you can simply ban the entire science? LOL

Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 PM

14,996 posts, read 13,572,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
The same with Nazi Germany. I don't think that many people have a middle of the road approach to the Nazi Germany. Are you surpised? It's hard for middle of the road approach to Soviet Union when you remember that millions died, were opressed and starved to death.
Some say even Hitler made the trains come on time yet it is hard to look at Nazi Germany or Soviet Union without remembering how opressive these regimes were for their own and many other nations.
You Russians will never realize how hated was Soviet Union in countries occupied as so called Soviet Block.
Rebel if you need to proceed with your right wing drivel - open your own thread, go ahead, but stop spamming here.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
You never even heard about it and when I bring to your attention you call it propaganda drivel? LOL
I did not cherry pick, I posted the entire paragraph because the years that Russia lost because of Stalin's ban on cybernetics pushed Russian computer science decades behind the west. As a matter of fact Russia never caught up with the West.

Why don't you asnswer this, how is it possible that in XX century you can simply ban the entire science? LOL
Of course I knew about, I repeat again - can you open your own thread and quit spamming this one?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Of course I knew about, I repeat again - can you open your own thread and quit spamming this one?
No, you did not know about it. You don't know about many absurdietes of life in Soviet Union. This however is an open forum and I feel like responding here. I think I have a lot to add. Maybe in a typical Russian way you would like to ban anything that does not agree with your opinion, just liek Stalin banned cybernetics, statistics, sociology or biochemistry?
Maybe you can write to KGB about it?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Spamming usually refers to email. This is an open forum and I feel like to responding here. Maybe you can write to KGB anout it?
Respond all you want, just stay on subject and I won't report you to KGB)))

Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Respond all you want, just stay on subject and I won't report you to KGB)))
I feel better now...
So, who is responsible for technological inferiority of Russia in XXI century?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 PM

78,204 posts, read 70,129,290 times
ROFL! Erasure, thanks for the "inside scoop" on the swivel faucet story! I needed a good laugh from this thread, LOL! Suddenly, it seems hilarious that we're discussing swivel faucets so seriously. ^_^

Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 PM

78,204 posts, read 70,129,290 times
Quote:
Oh, absolutely. But this is happening for a couple of reasons; reason number one they could never clearly see the West for themselves, and they were relying more on rumors, and reason number two, overall Russians have tendency to either overestimate or underestimate themselves, comparing Russia to the West, (Soviet times in particular.) I don't see much of healthy, rational approach to Soviet times; it's either total rejection or total embrace, with nothing in-between. May be GreyKarast is one of those exceptions.
I'm well aware of this. This is one reason I started this thread. There's an inferiority complex, which is very sad, and at the same time, a defensiveness. Russians aren't aware of how many simple, ordinary things they take for granted would be valued in the West.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm well aware of this. This is one reason I started this thread. There's an inferiority complex, which is very sad, and at the same time, a defensiveness. Russians aren't aware of how many simple, ordinary things they take for granted would be valued in the West.
Sure. Things like freedom of speech, personal freedoms... Life is so great in Russia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe