U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 AM
AFP

6,893 posts, read 4,194,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Life has no meaning.

You're suffering from a very human bias, as we're hardwired to see patterns and put clues together to figure things out, but somewhere down the line this very trait that made us so successful at survival went berserk and started giving meaning to things that had none.
The natural need for understanding so deep seated in human psychology gave us many religions, each tailored to fit the culture they were born in. Each trying to make sense of a world that's based on randomness.
It's the same natural instinct that pushes us towards scientific discovery. Understanding is a pillar that keeps our mind healthy, and anything that doesn't makes sense scares us, so we make up stories to give coherence to existence. Or, in the case of science, study it.

Health is a gift, having luck is a gift. Life is just a neutral state of being.
I prefer being aware of the neutral state. But pain feels good sometimes. I think I get it.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015...ain-feels-good

I agree with number #6

http://becrobbins.com/blog/top-10-re...-pain-is-good/

"6. Emotional pain amplifies pleasure

The more we know emotional pain and all the varying flavors of it (hopelessness, betrayal, anger, shame) the more deeply we can come to appreciate the emotions we enjoy feeling (love, compassion, gratitude). This is the nature of contrast. If we had no night, we would not as deeply appreciate the day and vice versa. Pain actually enriches our positive emotional experience. As well the more capacity we have for pain the more capacity we have for love."

Last edited by AFP; 03-05-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-05-2016, 12:32 PM

1,308 posts, read 807,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
But pain feels good sometimes.

On a serious note:
It's true that the lows will make the better moments feel more worthy, but it's hard to manage emotional pain in a culture that doesn't teach mental self-care and shuns the negative so harshly. It makes the bad moments last longer than they should, 'cause you're not given tools to deal with the lows, you have to pick them up as you go.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:06 PM
AFP

6,893 posts, read 4,194,677 times
Quote:

On a serious note:
It's true that the lows will make the better moments feel more worthy, but it's hard to manage emotional pain in a culture that doesn't teach mental self-care and shuns the negative so harshly. It makes the bad moments last longer than they should, 'cause you're not given tools to deal with the lows, you have to pick them up as you go.

Yes for sure it can take a long time to unwind a knotted ball of yarn and make sense of it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WrWA9lO-Tg...0/DSC03667.jpg

Old 03-07-2016, 02:52 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,522,441 times
Quote:

On a serious note:
You'll do just fine. You worry too much.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:32 PM

1,308 posts, read 807,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You'll do just fine. You worry too much.
Look, sir, I want to debate the emptyness of those words and why they're as senseless as everything you've said so far, but you've gained +5 points on cuteness for trying so I'll leave you alone.

Do not tempt me, though.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordPressed View Post
Since I did a thread about how much Latin Americans love Blonde people with blue eyes, I want to know about how Europeans view people with black hair and brown eyes, do they find them exotic or what?
The most good-looking Northern Europeans are those with dark hair, dark eyes and a good complexion.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:36 AM

7,751 posts, read 6,581,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The most good-looking Northern Europeans are those with dark hair, dark eyes and a good complexion.
Your posts just get more and more bizarre as time goes on!! Are you suggesting that all dark haired Northern Europeans look like Sean Connery or Catherine Zeta Jones!! lol (of course what you say is true in my case though).

Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Your posts just get more and more bizarre as time goes on!! Are you suggesting that all dark haired Northern Europeans look like Sean Connery or Catherine Zeta Jones!! lol (of course what you say is true in my case though).
Didn't I say the most? Sean Connery in his younger days would have so many women falling for him. Women as a whole usually prefer the "tall, dark and handsome" type than a tall, pale, ginger or blond man. Catherine Zeta was a gorgeous brunette in her younger days, thus would be appealing to a Northern European audience, while blonde women are more appealing to a Southern European or even South American audience.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Lol! Why are my posts bizarre, because of the truth?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordPressed View Post
Since I did a thread about how much Latin Americans love Blonde people with blue eyes, I want to know about how Europeans view people with black hair and brown eyes, do they find them exotic or what?
The truth is that opposite attract. See, in South America, even in East Asia, blonde, red-haired or other fair-skinned people are seen as the ideal attractive people. Many women in Japan, South Korea avoid too much sun to keep their skin pale, others even bleach their skins. While in most of Northern Europe, blondes are not that special, many blonde are wrongly stereotyped as "dumb" or "naive", while brunettes are stereotyped as being "stable" and "intelligent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or