U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 10:01 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,589,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordPressed View Post
Since I did a thread about how much Latin Americans love Blonde people with blue eyes, I want to know about how Europeans view people with black hair and brown eyes, do they find them exotic or what?
Well it depends. Europeans favoured light-coloured(e.g. blonde hair, blue eyes, fair skin) complexion since the ancient times. However, people who have black hair with extremely pale skin and blue or green eyes are seen as very attractive. However those with black hair, brown/black eyes and tanned/olive skin tones aren't so favored unless they're extremely good-looking. This is because manyimmigrants/refugees in Europe are from West Asia and North Africa and of course very often have those features, in places such as France they won't like you.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Yes but the type of dark hair you see among northern europeans (swedes, danes, norwegians, dutch, northern germans) isnt usually the very deep darkbrown, black hair you see among non-european populations or the one you see among several southern europeans and people of balkan origins. A guy with novak djokovic hair color woulnt feel so common in rural denmark for example.

There is a lot of white americans with black hair, even brits and Irish with black hair, like zeta jones, victoria beckham or sean connery (brythonic origins). But black haired or dark/brown haired scandinavians/dutch/northern germans are not common at all, their brunettes are just medium/light brown for the most part.

Not true at all. Black hair is not common anywhere among indigenous people from Northern Europe!
From the British Isles to the Baltic regions. Pure jet black hair even among the Irish is not more than 3%, of course it should be less in Sweden/Norway. Dark brown hair is the actual dark hair color in Northern Europe and would be more common in Keltic areas. For your information, dark brown hair is common in northern Sweden! In Storuman, Sweden, the frequency for dark hair is 45% according to a Swedish medical journal published by the Umea University in Sweden in 2000. People like Catherine Zeta Jones are exotic even within the British population, this is why they were chosen for acting, her beauty, her looks are not your average pale Briton. The same goes for Sean Connery. Black hair is much more common in Southern Europe, that doesn't mean all Southern Europeans have black hair either. White Americans for your information come from a diverse background from all over Europe, thus black hair would normally be more common among them.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Yes but they will insist you they have mostly darkbrown or even just plain brown instead of black hair .

The same with eyes, they will tell you always their eyes are not really brown but hazel or have some green, light brown color on it.

Its like they were ashamed of recognizing their true hair /eye color.

I'm not telling they have as black hair/dark eyes as japanese but they have black hair(or very dark brown) for european standards which is different to the typical "brown hair" the average person in a country like france or the UK have.

The same for their eyes.

Why are you always exaggerating? In Southern Europe, I mean Iberia, Italy Greece and the Balkan region, dark brown and black hair are even. Black hair is not dominant like in North Africa/the Middle-East either! Eyes are predominantly more of a light brown to hazel. They don't insist, it's true. Very dark brown hair is not black hair. Southern Europeans are much better looking than Northern Europeans who are pale and age much faster. Brown hair is the commonest hair color in all of Europe, not only France and the U.K.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Really? I think here it is the opposite, but always depending of the person of course.

----------------------

About black hair and brown eyes are common in South Europe, France included, as people said, I have seen too many as well in Austria, Ireland, Hungary...

Ireland? Brown eyes in Ireland is about as common as in Scandinavia or Nordic countries. Ireland has one of the highest proportions of blue and other light eyes in the world and are comparable to any Scandinavian or Baltic nation. According to the Irish Journal of Medical Science (1997), the commonest eye colors in blue and green in at least 80% of the population. In the 1940's, Harvard University school of anthropology study on the Irish people, found brown eyes to be completely insignificant in the Irish population, and the Irish population to be as light-eyed as the blondest-haired of Scandinavia. It would always be better to base it on scientific facts to have a more concrete solution.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 AM

7,809 posts, read 6,627,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Not true at all. Black hair is not common anywhere among indigenous people from Northern Europe!
From the British Isles to the Baltic regions. Pure jet black hair even among the Irish is not more than 3%, of course it should be less in Sweden/Norway. Dark brown hair is the actual dark hair color in Northern Europe and would be more common in Keltic areas. For your information, dark brown hair is common in northern Sweden! In Storuman, Sweden, the frequency for dark hair is 45% according to a Swedish medical journal published by the Umea University in Sweden in 2000. People like Catherine Zeta Jones are exotic even within the British population, this is why they were chosen for acting, her beauty, her looks are not your average pale Briton. The same goes for Sean Connery. Black hair is much more common in Southern Europe, that doesn't mean all Southern Europeans have black hair either. White Americans for your information come from a diverse background from all over Europe, thus black hair would normally be more common among them.
Im sorry I dont agree! I work in an open office in the UK and RIGHT NOW I am looking at my co workers and I would say that 70% have black or very dark brown hair 20% have mid brown hair and the rest are blond and grey. Go to your local supermarket and you will see the same kind of percentages.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Nope, sorry - black hair are not a common trait in Russians. Different shades of brown - yes, but black hair are very rare; for the most part when Russians have black hair it indicates that they are already mixed with other ethnicities.
There are plenty of Russians who are black-haired especially in the southern region near the Black Sea, near the Caucasus and in eastern Asian Russia. It is rarest in the northwest.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Im sorry I dont agree! I work in an open office in the UK and RIGHT NOW I am looking at my co workers and I would say that 70% have black or very dark brown hair 20% have mid brown hair and the rest are blond and grey. Go to your local supermarket and you will see the same kind of percentages.
70% black hair? You are either lying or don't have a clue of what is black hair. Not even Italy/Spain has that high frequency of black hair. The U.K. is definitely not the Middle-East! This would only occur if you include immigrants and non-Whites. Well if you included non-Whites, immigrants then I could say the same for every major city in western Europe. I used to live in Belgium and the Netherlands, I am of
Flemish, Dutch and English ancestry, if I included immigrants, non-Whites would yield the same result. Well here in America at my job, 80-90% are Whites mainly of western European ancestry( France,
Germany, Switzerland, Denmark) but half are of British Isles ancestry . Out of 70 people who work on my shift, most hair colors range from light ash-blond to dark brown with the majority light or medium brown. Only five have black hair and four have red hair, my own hair color is a light auburn but I don't class it as red. Even here truly black hair among Whites is well known to be of Southern European origin or Latin American or American Indian mixture. This is why people of Irish/Dutch ancestry with real black hair were given names such as "Black Irish" or "Black Dutch", because it's not common in those lineage. In my own experience living in Europe, I was aware, that people with truly black hair and brown eyes like Greeks, Romanian Gypsies, Africans, South Asians,etc... would from time to time suffer racism at the hands of European natives. I dare to ask you co-workers who have truly black hair and brown eyes if they have never been prejudiced against just by their appearance? You probably don't have a clue. Most Brits have brown hair from light to dark, not black! If you really want to see black hair go to a neighborhood where most people are Pakis or Middle-Eastern in origin, that's black hair not what you have in your imagination. Even in Italy or Spain, black hair averages around 30-33%! The majority of Southern Europeans have deep dark brown hair. Perhaps you can't tell the difference between deep dark brown and black. 70? That's a lie?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 AM

7,809 posts, read 6,627,248 times
Quote:
70% black hair? You are either lying or don't have a clue of what is black hair. Not even Italy/Spain has that high frequency of black hair. The U.K. is definitely not the Middle-East! This would only occur if you include immigrants and non-Whites. Well if you included non-Whites, immigrants then I could say the same for every major city in western Europe. I used to live in Belgium and the Netherlands, I am of
Flemish, Dutch and English ancestry, if I included immigrants, non-Whites would yield the same result. Well here in America at my job, 80-90% are Whites mainly of western European ancestry( France,
Germany, Switzerland, Denmark) but half are of British Isles ancestry . Out of 70 people who work on my shift, most hair colors range from light ash-blond to dark brown with the majority light or medium brown. Only five have black hair and four have red hair, my own hair color is a light auburn but I don't class it as red. Even here truly black hair among Whites is well known to be of Southern European origin or Latin American or American Indian mixture. This is why people of Irish/Dutch ancestry with real black hair were given names such as "Black Irish" or "Black Dutch", because it's not common in those lineage. In my own experience living in Europe, I was aware, that people with truly black hair and brown eyes like Greeks, Romanian Gypsies, Africans, South Asians,etc... would from time to time suffer racism at the hands of European natives. I dare to ask you co-workers who have truly black hair and brown eyes if they have never been prejudiced against just by their appearance? You probably don't have a clue. Most Brits have brown hair from light to dark, not black! If you really want to see black hair go to a neighborhood where most people are Pakis or Middle-Eastern in origin, that's black hair not what you have in your imagination. Even in Italy or Spain, black hair averages around 30-33%! The majority of Southern Europeans have deep dark brown hair. Perhaps you can't tell the difference between deep dark brown and black. 70? That's a lie?
Read what I posted again.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 AM

831 posts, read 2,715,060 times
Quote:
There are plenty of Russians who are black-haired especially in the southern region near the Black Sea, near the Caucasus and in eastern Asian Russia. It is rarest in the northwest.
Did you visit Russia? If so when?

Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 AM

831 posts, read 2,715,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This , 70% of british people I saw have clearly quite dark hair (no matters if black or dark brown) but quite dark. I agree with your estimations. Saxonwold as usuals is pushing britain to appear blonder than It is, but he can see beyond what your eyes see everyday in the UK

Im sure saxonwold has never ever been to Europe, cause claiming the British as a particularly blonde population is ridiculous, in fact I dont see more blondes in most of the UK than I saw in france. Germany was clearly much lighter haired/blonde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or