Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Black hair is not common at all in Ireland and UK.

Population studies done in the past in Ireland have shown that less than 3% of Irish people have black hair, and less than 0.5% have brown eyes. The vast majority of Irish people actually have hair ranging from blond to brown, and have blue or blue-grey eyes. There have been no recent studies done on the colouring of the Irish people. That 0.5% would be pure brown eyes. There are Irish with mixed dark and light eyes.

So no black hair is not common.

For me Roy keane has black hair, and there are tons and tons of people like that in Ireland and the UK.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...PbdSwz7Mk6z9Oh

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-13-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Black hair/Brown Eyes are uncommon among indigenous people in northern europe, not that they do not exist, but they are a small minority. I guess most people would assume anyone with black hair/brown eyes must be from southern europe or have any sort of foreign admixture. The only place where black hair is common (in Northern/Northwest europe) is Ireland, and the UK, although Its usually paired with light eyes rather than brown.

It's not what you define as black hair, it's what is universally known as black hair. Both black hair and brown eyes are not in the majority of Northern and Western European populations as a whole. Dark brown or deep brown hair seem to be the most common colour for very dark hair in those regions, but not black. The British Isles are no exception to the rule, just that traditionally in the western parts of the U.K. and Ireland, there are more folks with dark brown hair than in the eastern parts. What is surprising is that red-haired people like myself are also more common in those same areas than in the eastern parts. [/quote]

A french published study on hair color in May 2005 done by Veronique Battaille and Collins shows the ratio of black hair(Cheveux Noirs) in the following European Union member nations. These obviously do not include non-indigenous Europeans:

Belgique (Belgium) : 5.5%
France :4.7%
Suede (Sweden) : 3.1%
Pays Bas (Netherlands) : 2.3%
Royaume-Uni (U.K.) : 3.1%

Thus there seem to be an exaggeration on your part as well as your twin "Don". The difference is that there would be more dark brown shades in the U.K. than in Sweden for example, but that doesn't put them on a Southern European level. Most people in the U.K. as in the rest of Northern Europe have blonde to brown hair anyway.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
For me Roy keane has black hair, and there are tons and tons of people like that in Ireland and the UK.
The Scottish and Irish are the palest Europeans, due to the fact that they have as a whole the highest ratio of redhead genes which are responsible for lowering tanning ability and increase skin cancer risks . The V60L allele responsible for red hair, also played a major role in the mutation of skin lightening of humans when they came out of Africa to settle in Europe according to very recent study done in Spain. This allele found throughout Europe is most frequent in the British Isles populations whether they have dark hair as Roy keane and red hair as this Irish man, they may as well be carriers of it.

http://www.beingginger.co.uk/wp-cont...60379864_n.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-13-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 12:48 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Quote:

That's quite a nice picture of Roy.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:20 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Ditto.

This American actress, who is on 90210, has the most amazing eye colour I've ever seen, especially combined with her dark hair colour.
The Danish Model Helena Christensen with her dark hair and blue eyes are a bonus for her looks:

Chris Isaak Wicked Game - YouTube

Old 10-13-2013, 05:46 AM

104 posts, read 263,960 times
Quote:
Black hair is quite common in southern and western shores of europe. Its the most common in greece, portugal, spain, italy, deep south france. France, Ireland and Britain are also packed with many natives with either very dark brown or black hair. So its pretty common in all the balkan nations. Its not very extremely common but neither a rarity in places such as southern germany, most of belgium, austria, poland, czech.specially hungary(many black haired hungarians).

Primitive Europeans, before the arrival of Indoeuropeans, had black and wavy hair, just like Otzi, they are the so-called "Alpines". Hitler himself was Alpine. They can be found in large numbers all around Western Europe. I'd say that black and brown hair are predominant in Western Europe.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 AM

The universal hair color of Europeans is brown from very light to very dark brown hair, not black. Northern Europe(especially Scandinavia and Finland) has the lowest ratio of pure black hair statistically, while other regions Central and Eastern Europe have even slightly more. Southern Europe which is much darker, would naturally have higher ratios. For example when comparing four European countries Ireland, Poland, Portugal and Italy, black hair as a whole was commonest among the Portuguese, then Italians, then Poles and finally the Irish. On the other hand a person who's black-haired, with a pale white/freckled-skin and blue/green eyes were found to be more common among the Irish, then Poles than among the Portuguese/Italians. [/quote]

Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 AM

85 posts, read 154,189 times
Quote:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...PbdSwz7Mk6z9Oh
Strange then that Australia would have so few that have hair as dark as that if it's so common.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM

603 posts, read 1,630,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The universal hair color of Europeans is brown from very light to very dark brown hair, not black. Northern Europe(especially Scandinavia and Finland) has the lowest ratio of pure black hair statistically, while other regions Central and Eastern Europe have even slightly more. Southern Europe which is much darker, would naturally have higher ratios. For example when comparing four European countries Ireland, Poland, Portugal and Italy, black hair as a whole was commonest among the Portuguese, then Italians, then Poles and finally the Irish. On the other hand a person who's black-haired, with a pale white/freckled-skin and blue/green eyes were found to be more common among the Irish, then Poles than among the Portuguese/Italians.
[/quote]

I agree with most of this.

But I would say for sure that Iberians have the highest amount of black haired people along with Greeks out of Europe.

Not only that but also the darkest skin tones from what I have seen.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 AM

603 posts, read 1,630,929 times
To add also I seen more exotic/extra European Meds in Iberia and most of Greece than I have seen even in most of Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe