U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,569,342 times

Advertisements

A mis hijos tambien les encantan las palabras sucias. When they were begging me to tell them swear words in English, I taught them to curse in other languages instead.

I spent a few years in Europe (Spain, Italy, France), several months in Brazil, and a year in Montreal (hate the accent). I have to make an effort to keep up with everything except Spanish since a lot of people speak Spanish where I live. Romanian is a cool language though - I think worth the effort if one is interested and will be travelling there. I would love to be able to go back. It's hard to find a lot of people who speak Romanian in the states though.

Last edited by yodel; 10-05-2012 at 10:35 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM

47,524 posts, read 45,212,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycmike View Post
Hi.everyone, im an amercian who has taken a very strong intrest in romania, have researched extensively, have had several pen pals from there, quite a few native romanian people in my facebook page. Ive discovered romamia is a very unknown country to the rest of the world, what are your thoughts, oponions of romania, would you visit, consider living there ????
I've never been to Romania, but this is what I know of. Romania's capital is Bucuresti. It is about the size of Oregon, but has about 23 million people. I know of other cities Romania, such as Timisoara(where the 1989 Romanian Revolution started), Arad,Bran, Deva(where Nadia Comaneci once trained), Baia Mare, Galati, Constanta, Ploiesti(world's first oil refinery is here), Brasov, Bistrita, Sighisoara(home of Vlad Tepes, or Dracula as most people know him as). The highest point in Romania is Mt. Moldoveanu, over 9,000 ft above sea level, around the Fagaras Mountains. I know that the Danube Delta is here, and there are many aquatic species here, including a type of dolphin.

Bucuresti was known as Micul Paris(Little Paris) of Eastern Europe. It was known for bohemian lifestyle and alot of its buildings had French influence in its architecture. Arcul de Triumf is here. In the 1960s, Nicolae Ceausescu messed it up and built Communist-style buildings, and he build the People's Palace, which is basically a giant building that dwarfs you, and Ceausescu tore down 1/8 of the city to build it.

I've tried some of the food, such as sarmale and mici.

Romania, as far as I know, is a place I would consider visiting, mainly because of the fact that I've read about these places, but I've never been. Reading about a place and traveling there are two different things.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 PM

77,857 posts, read 69,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Latin? Not really. If you speak Italian Romanian should be easy.
Arrivedere.
Nope. Yodel and the others are right. Romanian has preserved Latin grammatical structures that the other Romance languages haven't. It's actually more like Spanish, but with Italian pronunciation, ha, and Latin grammar. And btw: wrong again. It's "La revedere".

Yeah, Romanian is of no practical value unless you want to hang out in Romania! LOL! But it makes a fascinating linguistic study, too.

The thing about the word endings, like you said, yodel, is of course they're complicated, but part of the complexity is due to the fact that some of the articles ("the", singular, plural, masculine, feminine) are tacked onto the end of nouns, instead of in front. So I think that's the Turkish influence, because that's the way Turkish is structured. It's an agglutinative language, and a little of that rubbed off on Romanian.

Where is our OP? Not showing much interest in Romania, lol.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 AM

2,924 posts, read 2,350,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Nope. Yodel and the others are right. Romanian has preserved Latin grammatical structures that the other Romance languages haven't. It's actually more like Spanish, but with Italian pronunciation, ha, and Latin grammar. And btw: wrong again. It's "La revedere".
But of course. And you know that many people who SPEAK fluent latin?

My neighbors are Romanian they say Romanian and Italian are similar, Spanish not as much. After all Romania and Italy are right next door to each other.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:09 AM

47,524 posts, read 45,212,893 times
Quote:

My neighbors are Romanian they say Romanian and Italian are similar, Spanish not as much. After all Romania and Italy are right next door to each other.
Romania and Italy are not right next door to each other. In fact, Romania is an anomaly in Eastern Europe. It is the one of only 2 nations in Eastern Europe with a Latin-based language(the other,Moldova, was once part of Romania). Italy is much further away.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Romania and Italy are not right next door to each other. In fact, Romania is an anomaly in Eastern Europe. It is the one of only 2 nations in Eastern Europe with a Latin-based language(the other,Moldova, was once part of Romania). Italy is much further away.
You are right, I skiped former Yugoslavia, nevertheless Italy is the closest Romance language country to Romania.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:55 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,749,547 times
Quote:
I've been to Romania several times, for 4-6 weeks each time. It's a beautiful country, the people are friendly and love Americans, the food is good, old traditions are still very much alive, the traditional music is enchanting. What's not to like? It's Europe's undiscovered gem. And yes, I was very seriously considering living there, had been offered a job, but politics got in the way, back in the day. Do you speak Romanian? I'd recommend learning some before you go.
Writing about Romania while sitting in Florence...
I was so surprised at the language!
I like to listen to local language and it sounded so familiar, then I realized it was latin based.

Cluj is lovely. So was Transylvania.
I am an old white woman traveling alone and had no issues, except that I was vegetarian.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 PM

77,857 posts, read 69,816,764 times
Quote:

What does speaking Latin have to do with anything? Someone early in the thread said Romanian was more difficult than the other languages. It is. It's the Latin grammatical features that make it so. End of story.

Your Romanian neighbors aren't linguists. The vocab (that of it that's Latin-based) has many words identical or almost so with Spanish. The pronunciation is Italian. It also has vocab that comes straight from Latin, unadulterated. It's fascinating.)

Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
What does speaking Latin have to do with anything? Someone early in the thread said Romanian was more difficult than the other languages. It is. It's the Latin grammatical features that make it so. End of story.

Your Romanian neighbors aren't linguists. The vocab (that of it that's Latin-based) has many words identical or almost so with Spanish. The pronunciation is Italian. It also has vocab that comes straight from Latin, unadulterated. It's fascinating.)
They are not linquists but they have been to Italy and according to them Italian is similar and Spanish not so much.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:48 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,569,342 times
Ruth, you're saying the vocabulary has more in common with Spanish? I've never noticed that, but who knows. Pronounciation has more in common with Italian - more crisp than Spanish. Romanian has 3 genders, which none of the other living Latin-based languages do - it makes things a bit more complicated since if you make a mistake with a noun gender, you potentially mess up other endings (adjectives, cases, whatever). Whereas making plurals in Spanish/French/Port. just involves adding an s, Romanian has so many ways to make plurals. This basic aspect of the language is so much more complicated in my opinion. Italian also changes the last letter to make a plural, but it's way simpler than in Romanian.

If you learn Spanish, Portuguese is relatively easy to learn - they are quite alike. I wouldn't say that Romanian is easy to learn to speak correctly even if you know all the other Latin-based languages. In my opinion, it's the most different of all the other living romance languages. I think Romanians really appreciate people making the effort though. It doesn't seem at all common for foreigners to speak Romanian.

Ruth - are you going to Romania for leisure or for some kind of work? It's great that you're able to go so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or