Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 85,845 times

Advertisements

But are you a white Australian or...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
The question is how are people IN East Asia treated by creepy tourists from all parts of the world? Not very good, imo. A much more important question.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlake View Post
But are you a white Australian or...?
No I'm Asian Australian

Old 03-25-2013, 02:51 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
You mean just like almost everyone on this forum thinks that Europe is a block of uniform countries and things are the same everywhere? There is no answer to your question because it depends on where in Europe you are and whether you are in a big city or a small town.

I don't think that people are particularly racist towards Asians. Most think of them as hardworking people who try to integrate into society. So they are definitely perceived better than other immigrant groups. That is my experience in the United States, that was my experience in Germany. Can't comment on other countries which I have just visited but not lived in.

No idea about the dating issue. I like to believe that you'll find someone when the time is ready. I was never desperately looking for somebody because that would've been very bad for my self-esteem. Things happen when they are supposed to happen. I am sure there are enough Swiss guys who are willing to appreciate you for your personality and not just for your race. No one should date someone just because of some weirdo race-fetish IMO and think most don't.

PS: How well do you speak the local language? I think that is one of the most important things if you really want to leave your expat bubble.
Do you think Germany tends to be less racist to asians compared to other European countries?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
It might also be a factor of your age. There aren't that many single people in their mid 30s and I don't mean that as an insult. Also, people might be intimidated to speak with you in fear of embarrassing themselves because their English isn't that great. I used to always be paranoid about people being racist, but I've learned you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Asians have a pretty good reputation around the world so they don't have a real reason to hate you or be fearful of you unless they're a bit crazy in which case you should avoid them anyway.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've not been to Europe yet but i've met many Europeans while travelling, and have never experienced any racism. If anything they seem a lot more PC than a lot of Australians. Of course maybe I'm just meeting a certain segment of the population so it might not be representative. I also feel that Europeans are more open to dating other ethnicities than here, where a lot of women still seem closed to the idea. I have an Australian accent and they've all recognised it as such. They've even said my accent was easier to understand than English peoples.'
I've never been to Europe. But in the U.S, you hardly experience racism when you are a tourist, and everyone seems to be very friendly. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, tourists just have no chance to experience a lot of racism.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
In the Czech Republic they are treated somewhat second class, Cambodians and Vietnamese, because they run a lot of the flea markets where they sell cheap quality stuff.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,054 times
Japanese 5,000 people are staying in Düsseldorf.

日本デー Japantag Düsseldorf 2012 - YouTube

Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Asians have respect and are usually viewed well in plenty of areas in Europe. This is especially true in France, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Spain, and Czech Republic. If I was of Asian heritage, I see myself being able to live in those countries and enjoying being there.

Some European countries even have a large amount of immigrants and people originally from Asia integrating and assimilating well into European society. Asians freely travel and experience those areas of Europe well and having pleasant, good times in Europe too.

There is even emerging popularity and familiarity with some areas of Asia for Europeans. Asian themed restaurants are already becoming popular in certain areas of Europe for the countries I said earlier.

Europe continues to have a very European cultural image that is always going to exist and is easily able to also be worldly, cosmopolitan, diverse, and having successful activity for this while always maintaining the European personality, continental identity, and life.

There was a similar topic earlier in the Europe forum having further similar information: http://www.city-data.com/forum/europe/1791686-how-immigration-europe-asians-more-successful.html

Old 05-26-2013, 03:25 AM

370 posts, read 950,557 times
"Chinos" are admired and well treated in Spain. They manage many Chinese, Japanese and a growing number of Spanish bars and restaurants. Chinese have problems with Morrocans, Morrocans attack them and try to steal from them because they know some are illegal, but now they are protected and they know how to defend themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe