U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 03:55 PM

451 posts, read 1,071,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Are you and your cousins female?
I am male. One of my cousins in Germany is female and the other is male. The female cousin is married to an ethnically German man who is fluent in Mandarin Chinese, as he studied East Asian languages and even spent time briefly in Taiwan studying languages. They have 2 biological daughters. My other cousin in Germany is male (I have to correct something from earlier- he is not married, but has a long time girlfriend and they live together- this is very common in Europe among younger people these days). His girlfriend is a blonde hair, blue-eyed ethnically German female and they have 2 biological sons together. Both of my cousins have many friends. So, just to show even East-Asian males in Europe can be accepted.

Last edited by twnxn; 01-22-2016 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 04:13 PM

6,742 posts, read 5,066,086 times
Much better than how Europeans would be treated in East Asia - let's just put it that way.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:20 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,449,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Much better than how Europeans would be treated in East Asia - let's just put it that way.
Can you explain better?
I'm curious since you are a Taiwanese person and therefore you certainly know Asian much better than 99% of people here (me included).

Old 01-23-2016, 03:41 AM

25,060 posts, read 23,039,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I am male. One of my cousins in Germany is female and the other is male. The female cousin is married to an ethnically German man who is fluent in Mandarin Chinese, as he studied East Asian languages and even spent time briefly in Taiwan studying languages. They have 2 biological daughters. My other cousin in Germany is male (I have to correct something from earlier- he is not married, but has a long time girlfriend and they live together- this is very common in Europe among younger people these days). His girlfriend is a blonde hair, blue-eyed ethnically German female and they have 2 biological sons together. Both of my cousins have many friends. So, just to show even East-Asian males in Europe can be accepted.
I always had a feeling that us minorities and biracials have it easier in a non-English speaking country socially speaking than the English speaking countries. My Chinese stepbrother wasn't so lucky, and I had a lot of hurdles to pass through as a boy even though I'm white passing (which is still not white in America)

Old 01-23-2016, 03:45 AM

309 posts, read 132,158 times
here in Slovakia are no problems with people from east Asia. I´ve heard some rumors about vietnamese meth dealers but who knows. In my eyes they are hard working people, assimilated, but a bit isolated from majority population.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:02 AM

6,742 posts, read 5,066,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Can you explain better?
I'm curious since you are a Taiwanese person and therefore you certainly know Asian much better than 99% of people here (me included).
In terms of hate crime, probably not so much; but in terms of fitting in, it's basically impossible for people with a different skin colour to succeed in East Asian societies, even if you speak the languages fluently.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,187 times
Hi I know this topic is way 3 years ago. I stumbled to this while I'm researching about, well in the same line of topic as yours. You see, I'm a mix Asian- quarter European, I've lived in different parts of the world. In the 90's I used to live in Brisbane. Never I felt they were racist to Asian looking people maybe, because there were plenty of middle class to upper class Asians living in Brisbane, mix marriage Australian-South East Asian, most specially there were lots of Japanese and Indian students in the Sunshine Coast that seems well chummies with the Aussies who loves surfing. I have had lots of white friends in Australia, and (white expats in) Singapore, HK, and Thailand. I've lived in South, and Central America, also in the Caribbean I have felt really welcomed, for them probably I'm exotic, and it's nice that I added new color in their community. Then, I fell in love and moved to Germany 16 years ago, I speak deutsch their language, but to my dismay I didn't really manage to make German friends, the friends I found were immigrants like me from Italy, Spain, Indonesia, and South Africa who are married to a German national, but believe me, we all felt the same strange feeling that we are not welcome, in Krabelstube (where moms with babies meet-up) the German moms would only inter-act, sit with, and chat with the German moms, one time it was just the five of us (me, Indonesian, Italian, and an Ugandan) then a mom came with her baby, she saw that there was no German mom around, she immediately left, and so were the next German mom fifteen minutes after her. During my first 4 years in Germany I suffered depression, I guess the weather and of feeling lonely and friendless. That was when one by one my immigrant friends moved to another town. My hubby encouraged me to try harder to make friends in our neighborhood. I did try my best, but they are obviously keeping me at arms length. I invited them for coffee, dinner, BBQ, but they all turned me down softly with nice excuses. So with my German neighbours of 5 years my only conversation and contact to them is just hello and goodbye.
We moved back to South East Asia, Singapore, my kid went to German-European(British) international school. I noticed the same thing, most German moms make friends only to German moms, they inter act also with other none German moms if it's necessary but it's still very obvious how cold they are. Only very few German feels comfortable with Asian women, that's when, the German moms have been living since her young years outside Europe, who has relatives living outside Europe, familiar with inter racial marriage, or have worked with many Asians before. After Singapore we moved to Thailand not to my surprised when I joined an expatriate club that always raising money for charity tru dinner meet ups. I've noticed, that most German expatriate are only sitting in/joining a table that are mostly German speaking people, while other nationals like French, Italians, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Indians etc. we're jumping from one to the next table cordially exchanging hello's and introducing themselves, the German table never badge, they do keep to only themselves, and whenever I open a bulletin board of our expat community in Thailand, there are always a pin board messages in deutsch/German language of another German new comers in town looking for another German to make friends with, while compare to other new in town expats who's messages goes directly to all expats in the community regardless of their nationality.
Last year we moved back to Germany. New town. New neighborhood. A new hotel and restaurant had an opening night, the whole little town was invited, it was a week before Christmas, we moved to Bodensee November. My husband thought it might be a good idea to get to know some neighbors around. Cocktail food, Glühwein, nice Christmas music, we greeted people around but they don't seem to hear us, the chef and owner seems polite and nice, but the town people? We found a table next to a group of middle age people in their 60+. When they looked at us I said hello and introduced my self and my family. They seems cordial at first, when I told them we are new in town and just moved in recently one of them had an anti Auslander tone, if we are Fluchtlinge. Obviously we are not looking like that, so is my husband who is a pure German. My 15 years old felt insulted and had ever since question being halfGerman-halfAsian. My child never feels happy anymore living here.
To sum up my experience and observation, may seems negative, but I'm still hoping in a few months, next year things could change positively living here in Germany. We've invested a lot moving here so I'd like to at least hold on and wait and see, if not...

Altho, Germany talks about integration and immigrants are welcome, seems it's all in TV. Because I've noticed too, I never see any South East Asian representation in Germany. Blacks yes, Arabs yes, Asian none. None in any background. In TV, movies, sports, as a host? Much worse I've noticed, most simple German folks here thinks, because in most movies produced for German TV they always portray Asians as prostitutes, house maids, very poor and desperate they would do anything to get hooked up with any German, ugly or old man in order to stay and live in Germany, that's probably what they all think of South East Asian mix marriages are... Am I wrong?

I asked then, where's the product of much earlier mix marriages? I just would like to know how was their life inside Germany afterwards, their struggles, success, their parents. I'd like to hear from them. It's important for me to make a decision next year, but I'd like to hear from other mix marriages about their lives here, raising kids, and how they are now. Your stories shared here will help me in a way to my decision. Just an insight what to expect.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
You don't have a talent for spelling evidently, though.
It's not like a person doesn't let you in his inner circles it is because of racism, it's a choice of the person and whatever it is it is none of your concern (and you shouldn't bother about someone who doesn't want you, as we say 'He who doesn't look for you doesn't want you').
Most Chinese immigrants or Arab people form their ghettos stubbornly refusing most contacts with locals, it's not like we whine about Chinese racism or Arab xenophobia, if that's what they want, then we don't care, as we don't need them.
I was referring to my pronunciation and proficiency of languages which could never be a problem of doing documents, though not in a quite local way. And you'd better not to generalize all Chinese or Arabs. People from Emirates are rich with courtesy out of all Muslims. People from Ethiopia are humble and well educated better than most of other African countries. Part of Chinese in Europe are familiar with all these civilizations,and current affairs, local philosophies . And also have plenty of frds with different backgrounds.it just depends on the need,whenever Chinese speak up to locals in a friendly way as they always do no exceptions, what they got in response are usually just Butt faces impatiently . even they do stay close,all of them do, How do people who are trying to stay alone peacefully even bother locals to the degree of refusing to offer the same standard of public service which they deserve regarding their contributions? It's just a problem without even an intention to solve it. If you don't need all different people around,why issued visa endlessly.Europe has filled up with nationalism and zonism tendency,even isis could be a conspiracy manipulated by Europe for having a better excuse to send all Muslims away. Just saying...this is bad, and Europe isn't attractive to stay in all senses. Yet me be like stuck here for personal reasons, not meaning I love to stay.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:41 PM

6,059 posts, read 6,268,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPATZ View Post
Hi I know this topic is way 3 years ago. I stumbled to this while I'm researching about, well in the same line of topic as yours. You see, I'm a mix Asian- quarter European, I've lived in different parts of the world. In the 90's I used to live in Brisbane. Never I felt they were racist to Asian looking people maybe, because there were plenty of middle class to upper class Asians living in Brisbane, mix marriage Australian-South East Asian, most specially there were lots of Japanese and Indian students in the Sunshine Coast that seems well chummies with the Aussies who loves surfing. I have had lots of white friends in Australia, and (white expats in) Singapore, HK, and Thailand. I've lived in South, and Central America, also in the Caribbean I have felt really welcomed, for them probably I'm exotic, and it's nice that I added new color in their community. Then, I fell in love and moved to Germany 16 years ago, I speak deutsch their language, but to my dismay I didn't really manage to make German friends, the friends I found were immigrants like me from Italy, Spain, Indonesia, and South Africa who are married to a German national, but believe me, we all felt the same strange feeling that we are not welcome, in Krabelstube (where moms with babies meet-up) the German moms would only inter-act, sit with, and chat with the German moms, one time it was just the five of us (me, Indonesian, Italian, and an Ugandan) then a mom came with her baby, she saw that there was no German mom around, she immediately left, and so were the next German mom fifteen minutes after her. During my first 4 years in Germany I suffered depression, I guess the weather and of feeling lonely and friendless. That was when one by one my immigrant friends moved to another town. My hubby encouraged me to try harder to make friends in our neighborhood. I did try my best, but they are obviously keeping me at arms length. I invited them for coffee, dinner, BBQ, but they all turned me down softly with nice excuses. So with my German neighbours of 5 years my only conversation and contact to them is just hello and goodbye.
We moved back to South East Asia, Singapore, my kid went to German-European(British) international school. I noticed the same thing, most German moms make friends only to German moms, they inter act also with other none German moms if it's necessary but it's still very obvious how cold they are. Only very few German feels comfortable with Asian women, that's when, the German moms have been living since her young years outside Europe, who has relatives living outside Europe, familiar with inter racial marriage, or have worked with many Asians before. After Singapore we moved to Thailand not to my surprised when I joined an expatriate club that always raising money for charity tru dinner meet ups. I've noticed, that most German expatriate are only sitting in/joining a table that are mostly German speaking people, while other nationals like French, Italians, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Indians etc. we're jumping from one to the next table cordially exchanging hello's and introducing themselves, the German table never badge, they do keep to only themselves, and whenever I open a bulletin board of our expat community in Thailand, there are always a pin board messages in deutsch/German language of another German new comers in town looking for another German to make friends with, while compare to other new in town expats who's messages goes directly to all expats in the community regardless of their nationality.
Last year we moved back to Germany. New town. New neighborhood. A new hotel and restaurant had an opening night, the whole little town was invited, it was a week before Christmas, we moved to Bodensee November. My husband thought it might be a good idea to get to know some neighbors around. Cocktail food, Glühwein, nice Christmas music, we greeted people around but they don't seem to hear us, the chef and owner seems polite and nice, but the town people? We found a table next to a group of middle age people in their 60+. When they looked at us I said hello and introduced my self and my family. They seems cordial at first, when I told them we are new in town and just moved in recently one of them had an anti Auslander tone, if we are Fluchtlinge. Obviously we are not looking like that, so is my husband who is a pure German. My 15 years old felt insulted and had ever since question being halfGerman-halfAsian. My child never feels happy anymore living here.
To sum up my experience and observation, may seems negative, but I'm still hoping in a few months, next year things could change positively living here in Germany. We've invested a lot moving here so I'd like to at least hold on and wait and see, if not...

Altho, Germany talks about integration and immigrants are welcome, seems it's all in TV. Because I've noticed too, I never see any South East Asian representation in Germany. Blacks yes, Arabs yes, Asian none. None in any background. In TV, movies, sports, as a host? Much worse I've noticed, most simple German folks here thinks, because in most movies produced for German TV they always portray Asians as prostitutes, house maids, very poor and desperate they would do anything to get hooked up with any German, ugly or old man in order to stay and live in Germany, that's probably what they all think of South East Asian mix marriages are... Am I wrong?

I asked then, where's the product of much earlier mix marriages? I just would like to know how was their life inside Germany afterwards, their struggles, success, their parents. I'd like to hear from them. It's important for me to make a decision next year, but I'd like to hear from other mix marriages about their lives here, raising kids, and how they are now. Your stories shared here will help me in a way to my decision. Just an insight what to expect.
Needs more paragraphs.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,187 times
Greysholic and Xander.XVII
Caucasians are easily accepted in South East Asia in fact it's sort of a status quo to have white friends joining you in many social activities, if you have blacks and other international friends is somewhat awesome to SEA. South East Asia today are melting pots than ever before compare to Europe. In Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia, even in China mix marriage is very common, mix children are considered fortunate and pride of the family and relatives. Whites easily adjust in South East Asian countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or