U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 AM

253 posts, read 497,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Since some posters think that some other posters who also commented, do not live in Europe, or maybe never have been there, I ask Melanie, who I think may live there and might be German,
"Have you eaten at any of these *Mexican* Restaurants ?"

1 - If you have, what was the taste like ?
2 - Who was running the Restaurant ?

As I mentioned before, I have lived and worked there (in Europe) for many years, but I never looked for any Mexican Restaurants. I am NOT a fan of Mexican food (I can not stand the refried beans !!), unless it is an all beef burrito made by Titos Tacos, in Santa Monica, California.

I asked the second question, because in the USA, many *Chinese* Restaurants have Mexican cooks working for them ...

I do remember a few years ago, a poster wondered what it would be like if he would open up a Mexican Restaurant somewhere in Europe. Can not remember who he was, but I never heard from him again.
I am not Melanie but I do live in Germany. I have eaten at "Mexican" restaurants here a few times and it was never great. OK at best. Usually they can't even get the chips and salsa right. The rest was fairly tasteless food that didn't seem to have be made from fresh ingredients etc.

I don't think any of these places were run by Mexicans or had Mexican cooks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 03:31 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Mexican food may be popular, but the food called "Mexican" is a really poor imitation here.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,735,072 times
Tacos in London

R Dub!'s Taco Review - London, England / El Camino Fresh Mexican Grill - YouTube

Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,118,811 times
Mexican food in Austria tends to suck... The funny thing is, that they rarely serve tacos or burritos, but rather stuff like fajitas, enchiladas, grilled meats and deep fried stuff, that was previously frozen. At least that's true for my hometown in the west. Franchises like Taco Bell don't exist here.

In Vienna, the place where I study, there are at least two really good places, that serve Mexican food.

One is called Fresco Grill and is run by some Mexican guy. They serve only Tacos and Burritos, which are really good, but a bit overpriced at €7,50 for a burrito. Ingredients are all organic, you can either choose pork, beef, chicken or a version with tofu for the vegetarians.

The other one is called Los Mexikas, the owners are also Mexican, they can hardly speak German. Their food is a bit more sophisticated. They have things like alambre, gringas, huaraches and of course tacos. That place is actually pretty awesome, probably the best Mexican place in the country.

Anyway, one should really try to avoid Mexican restaurants in Austria. There is a 99% chance that it will suck. But those places mentioned above are save to eat

Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 AM

327 posts, read 861,958 times
Not really.

In the UK, there are some for sure, but it's not a common foreign cuisine to eat. French, Italian, Spanish, Indian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese and even probably Greek, Korean, Lebanese or Caribbean is more common than Mexican. London of course has maybe half a dozen * very good * and extremely authentic Mexican places - most notably this place : La Bodega Negra - New Mexican Restaurant in Soho | Bon Vivant: Concierge Service

But generally full proper Mexican restaurants are pretty rare. The Mexican community in the UK - even London - is tiny, so what Mexican food there is tends to be cooked by other nationalities, and is therefore pretty inauthentic. Some dishes like burritos, tacos and fajitas have found their way on to menus in some pubs and various non ethnically specific cafes, and it's fairly common for people to buy ready meal versions of such dishes from supermarkets - but this is largely because of US influence rather than direct from Mexico. I'd say appreciation and knowledge of the cuisine of Mexico is very low. Chains like Taco Bell etc don't exist... yet.

In France it's even less to be honest. The Parisians at least do eat a lot of foreign food nowadays - Italian, Arabic, Chinese, Thai, Japanese... even gourmet British seem to have caught on to some extent, but not Mexican. There are some (pretty bad looking) Mexican restaurants in Paris - but judging by their English language menus and garish advertisements in travel guides and leaflets - they are aimed at American tourists rather than locals or any Mexican community. Again, there aren't many Mexicans living in France - probably one of the main reasons why the cuisine hasn't caught on.

I have never seen a Mexican restaurant in Spain or Italy. I doubt very much Spaniards/Italians would be impressed by Mexican food - they tend to stick very resolutely to their own cuisine in my experience - and the recent immigration boom has not actually translated into a plethora of ethnic restaurants all over the place, as it did in the UK and France.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,333,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post

I have never seen a Mexican restaurant in Spain or Italy. I doubt very much Spaniards/Italians would be impressed by Mexican food - they tend to stick very resolutely to their own cuisine in my experience - and the recent immigration boom has not actually translated into a plethora of ethnic restaurants all over the place, as it did in the UK and France.
There are a few YouTube videos showing Spaniards eating at Mexican restaurants; not sure if they're any good though. In the video that shows a mexican restaurant in Italy the people (Americans I believe) clearly state that the food is awful. As you said many European countries might have a few Mexican restaurants, but most might be pale imitations of the real thing?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
Just video chatted with my son (he is in Madrid) yesterday and he said he found a really good Mexican restaurant.
I'll have to ask him what the name of it was.

He invited a bunch of his friends over for hamburgers the other night and they were very impressed with his culinary skills. (I know hamburgers are easily found in Madrid, but not all burgers are equal.)
He hasn't been there yet, but there is a place in Madrid called The American Store.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM

2,524 posts, read 5,059,217 times
As someone from Texas, who has traveled to Mexico & parts of Europe & had "fajitas" in Germany, I'd answer w/ a big, fat "Hail no y'all."

Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,324,131 times
San Antonian here, imagine my surprise, when across from our hotel in Rome there was a Tex-Mex restaurant "La Cucaracha". :0

Being from the Tex-Mex capital of the world, I wouldn't trust a Roman Mexican restaurant named "The Cockroach" ROFL.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
The word fajita does not appear in print until 1971 though dishes resembling it appeared in Texas as early as the 1930s. In Mexico, most would see fajitas and consider them closest to something called tacos asadas, or 'grilled-meat' tacos.

Fajitas have become a distinct dish due to its use of skirt steak and pairing with grilled bell peppers and onions. However, most of what I know of fajitas comes from my experience in New Mexico which is hardly fertile ground for Tex-Mex specialties (ground beef hardshell tacos, fajitas, and Nachos are about it. We don't even do chili.)

Given that, I would hardly consider fajitas the litmus for authenticity of Mexican cuisine, in general. It is clearly a fairly recent Mexican-American development.

Not that that is a bad thing. Good fajitas are... really, really, good. Just don't expect many Mexicans who actually grew up in Mexico eating Mexican food to know what they are. Just like the other classic 'Mexican' dish, Nachos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or