U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 PM

44,370 posts, read 35,864,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy666 View Post
American franchises are exactly the same here, except that usually far more expensive. Probably Damn Yankees is a British franchise, but there are many American ones serving supposedly American food. Those places are packed with American tourists, and really, travelling to Europe to eat at those joints..!!!
I agree. We just ate there so we could take pictures of ourselves with the signs inside. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 AM

7,756 posts, read 6,583,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I just got back from England, where we ate one meal at a place called "Damn Yankees." Supposedly it was "American food." It was a pitiful attempt at American food. The nachos (I hate to even call them that) were HORRID. No flavor whatsoever. The hamburgers were also pathetic. I had a club sandwich. It seemed a safe bet. It was OK at best. Never again!

However, I will say that I was very pleasantly surprised at the tastiness of traditional English food. They should stick with that - and curries.
This sounds like an horrendous place!! TGI Fridays is also a terrible franchise, I would advise to avoid at all costs (unless you have children with you), the portions are HUGE though! Did you find the portions small Kathryn? One of my work colleagues has recently come back from the US, she told me she couldn't eat the food she was being served because there was too much, she ended up buying one meal with her 'other half' and sharing, or ordering from the kids menus. I think I would struggle because I find the portions I get in the UK are already too big and I'm a 6 foot plus 15 stone man! :-)

Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,090,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This sounds like an horrendous place!! TGI Fridays is also a terrible franchise, I would advise to avoid at all costs (unless you have children with you), the portions are HUGE though! Did you find the portions small Kathryn? One of my work colleagues has recently come back from the US, she told me she couldn't eat the food she was being served because there was too much, she ended up buying one meal with her 'other half' and sharing, or ordering from the kids menus. I think I would struggle because I find the portions I get in the UK are already too big and I'm a 6 foot plus 15 stone man! :-)
My OH said thr same thing. She can never finish restaurant meals here because they're too big for her. It took me about a month to adjust to food portions over there. Now I don't eat as much, and lost 3 stone since last year as a result. By the way, Kathryn, horrid? Turned British on us already and you just stayed a week or 2 over there?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No, the portions weren't small at all. In fact, I didn't see much, if any, difference between portion sizes in the UK and the US anyplace we went. And we ate out every meal for 8 days, in both London, and the rural areas of Yorkshire.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My OH said thr same thing. She can never finish restaurant meals here because they're too big for her. It took me about a month to adjust to food portions over there. Now I don't eat as much, and lost 3 stone since last year as a result. By the way, Kathryn, horrid? Turned British on us already and you just stayed a week or 2 over there?
LOL I cut my teeth on CS Lewis, Jane Austen, and the Bronte sisters - I've been saying "horrid" for at least 45 years!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,090,543 times
Quote:
LOL I cut my teeth on CS Lewis, Jane Austen, and the Bronte sisters - I've been saying "horrid" for at least 45 years!
Lol, at least you're not like my OH. Few weeks here and I already had her using American words lol. Last time she came here, when she went back home her family said her speech was slightly Americanized lol. For me, the only thing that happened to me was when I ordered something at Wendy's on the way to St. Louis with my OH, I asked for my sandwich and coke, but no chips lol. Cashier looked at me confused

Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, at least you're not like my OH. Few weeks here and I already had her using American words lol. Last time she came here, when she went back home her family said her speech was slightly Americanized lol. For me, the only thing that happened to me was when I ordered something at Wendy's on the way to St. Louis with my OH, I asked for my sandwich and coke, but no chips lol. Cashier looked at me confused
That chips thing takes some getting used to! And then it's hard to get rid of! I caught myself calling french fries "chips" a couple of times when we got back.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,438,881 times
Quote:
No, the portions weren't small at all. In fact, I didn't see much, if any, difference between portion sizes in the UK and the US anyplace we went. And we ate out every meal for 8 days, in both London, and the rural areas of Yorkshire.
I think american portions are slightly bigger the difference is that you don't get refills here.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 PM

7,756 posts, read 6,583,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I think american portions are slightly bigger the difference is that you don't get refills here.
You get refills were I live? Do they not have refills in N Ireland too?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 4043 N
3,024 posts, read 2,561,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Maybe good Mexican food can be found in Spain?
We Spaniards diskike spicy food, for instance I've never tried chili or something like that. I don't have any family or friends who like spicy food.
However, there are some Mexican restaurants in big cities, but not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or