U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM

253 posts, read 497,296 times

Advertisements

It's somewhat popular in Europe but good Mexican food is very hard to find. Most larger towns/cities in Germany have one or more "Mexican" restaurants but they usually disappoint. Guess I am spoiled having lived in Phoenix :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,333,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Mexican taquerias are very popular in the USA

do they have Taco Bell or any Taquerias in europe?
Taco Bell is an overprocessed and cheap imitation of Tex-Mex food, how can you ask about Mexican food and mention that chain?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
The Mission is a Mexican restaurant in Reading, just outside the Greater London Area that specializes in making Burritos and make a rather nice hot sauce with Habanero. It's possibly my favorite place to get quick food. There certainly aren't as many Mexican places in England as there are in the US, and Taco Bell doesn't exist in England, but what we do have is usually pretty good.

I have yet to find a place in the UK that makes Migas, however.
There are 2 or 3 of them in the UK, this guy on youtube does a video review on them every-time they open one in mall food courts. However, in one of his videos he says they are terrible if compared to authentic Mexican food and that they are still quite bad if compared to the American Taco Bells.

Here's one of the videos I found:

Taco Bell UK (Manchester Arndale Centre) Review - YouTube

Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't WAIT to move out of a state where EVERYTHING is Mexicanized! There are chili peppers and tomato in nearly ALL the food! Enough already! Whatever happened to variety being the spice of life? Where I live, food won't sell if it doesn't have beans and chili in it. Even our local Russian restaurant had to morph their recipes into some ghastly concoction that looked Russian on the outside, but was mostly Mexican on the inside.

If you're planning a trip to Europe, try to enjoy the local traditions. Don't expect Europe to be some kind of reflection of the US. The local cuisines are great. Europe is fine the way it is, it doesn't need to be Americanized, Disneyfied, or taco-ized.
So, in a nutshell:

Paragraph 1: Variety is the spice of life!

Paragraph 2: Enough with the variety already!

Just kidding with you, I get your point, both of them.

That said, Taco Bell does not need a presence in Europe. However, Old El Paso brand Tex-Mex products have been in Britain and Norway for a fairly long time now. My Norwegian cousins have the occasional crunchy taco dinner with Senor Garcia brand Jalapenos (grown in India according to the jar!) every now and then. But they still eat like Norwegians most of the time.

I don't think they are becoming Americanized any faster than the Americans. By which I mean Tex-mex were considered exotic and hard to find in New York in the 1970s and I remember being excited to eat at Taco Bell on a trip to Florida in the late 80s.

For the most part Americans still mainly eat American food, i.e. Anglo-Germanic dishes, unless they live in an area with a strong ethnic alternative such as Italian-American or Mexican. I mean, I live in New Mexico which has its own cuisine that falls under the rubric of 'Mexican', but I eat a definedly Mexican dish or dish with chile (not chili) maybe twice a week. The rest of the time I am eating more like a Norwegian than anything else since that's how I learned to eat.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,673,530 times
Well, there's two Mexican restaurants here in Ghent (Cantina Mexicana and Rumpa Cabeza) in a city of a quarter million. No Taco Bell's here in Belgium. According to Wikipedia, the only European countries that have Taco Bells are the UK, Spain and Greece.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
They have Chipotle "Mexican" Grill in the UK... Its a fast casual restaurant based out of Colorado so i guess you can call it Mexican-American food? anyways, it is amazing and i highly recommend it

Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
For the most part Americans still mainly eat American food, i.e. Anglo-Germanic dishes, unless they live in an area with a strong ethnic alternative such as Italian-American or Mexican. I mean, I live in New Mexico which has its own cuisine that falls under the rubric of 'Mexican', but I eat a definedly Mexican dish or dish with chile (not chili) maybe twice a week. The rest of the time I am eating more like a Norwegian than anything else since that's how I learned to eat.
It's interesting to think that I living on the West Coast, I probably have eaten Mexican, Japanese, and Thai food as much if not more often for a good chunk of my life than a lot of European food styles. So much so that at my work cafeteria we get pad thai being served much more than spaghetti. And at this point Thai food seems far more ubiquitous than any kind of German or French cooking where I live. I mean I had pork schnitzel at a restaurant last week and that seemed like something rare to go out to eat--as opposed to something normal like sushi or tacos. Considering as well that I used to eat Indian buffets every day for lunch.

At the same time at home, the food we cook will often be a lot of simpler dishes involving sausage or potatoes or whatever vegetables are fresh or Italian recipes because the ingredients required are relatively simple, though I'll often try Asian food styles or Latin American cuisines. But then my girlfriend's Syrian father cooks dinner for us once a week as well.

Also because tacos are so cheap and delicious, I'll usually eat them over hamburgers by a huge margin.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,752,990 times
Default Buen Apetito...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I'm a Mexican-American from Los Angeles, which qualifies me as an arbiter of what the real deal is and ain't. You'll find Mexican-style restaurants here and there, usually in larger cities where there are students. I have yet to find anything that approximates the real deal. Every time I try a place, I go "shoulda known better."

Maybe good Mexican food can be found in Spain?

In America, it used to be that real deal Mexican food could not be found anywhere east of Denver or north of Reno, with the exception of Chicago. Maybe it's different now, seeing as how us Mess'kins have been turning up in some unlikely places in recent years.
That's exactly right, Chicago has a great variety of truly Mexcian food emporiums and not only in the city of Chicago proper but the fringe suburbs as well. But then again, there is a great variety of wonderful and authentic ethnic restaurants from just about everywhere!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,604,934 times
Not in Italy, and the further south you go, fat chance. I wouldn't go to Italy to eat Mexican food. Get real. Only once did I go to a Greek restaurant, and the 3 people in my party thought it was marginal, though the Greek waitress was probably the nicest ever encountered in Europe, and we asked her to get into our pictures.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I'm a Mexican-American from Los Angeles, which qualifies me as an arbiter of what the real deal is and ain't. You'll find Mexican-style restaurants here and there, usually in larger cities where there are students. I have yet to find anything that approximates the real deal. Every time I try a place, I go "shoulda known better."

Maybe good Mexican food can be found in Spain?

In America, it used to be that real deal Mexican food could not be found anywhere east of Denver or north of Reno, with the exception of Chicago. Maybe it's different now, seeing as how us Mess'kins have been turning up in some unlikely places in recent years.
How many of them are truly authentic though, I have been to many Mexicans restaurants in Houston and Chicago that claim to be authentic, but they're usually Tex-Mex, which isn't bad but I wouldn't call that authentic Mexican. Let's use enchiladas as an example, in all the Texas restaurants I have been to they always serve them drenched in melted cheese, in Mexico they don't do that. In Mexico they tend to top it with shredded lettuce, chopped & cooked carrots and potatoes (that's how my family makes them in Mexico).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or