U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 AM

2,924 posts, read 2,358,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's interesting to think that I living on the West Coast, I probably have eaten Mexican, Japanese, and Thai food as much if not more often for a good chunk of my life than a lot of European food styles. So much so that at my work cafeteria we get pad thai being served much more than spaghetti. And at this point Thai food seems far more ubiquitous than any kind of German or French cooking where I live. I mean I had pork schnitzel at a restaurant last week and that seemed like something rare to go out to eat--as opposed to something normal like sushi or tacos. Considering as well that I used to eat Indian buffets every day for lunch.

At the same time at home, the food we cook will often be a lot of simpler dishes involving sausage or potatoes or whatever vegetables are fresh or Italian recipes because the ingredients required are relatively simple, though I'll often try Asian food styles or Latin American cuisines. But then my girlfriend's Syrian father cooks dinner for us once a week as well.

Also because tacos are so cheap and delicious, I'll usually eat them over hamburgers by a huge margin.
Really? Do you think most Americans eat more tacos than burgers, hotdogs, pork chops, steaks, ribss, scrambled eggs and hundreads of other American dishes?
I mean, you must be Mexican cause where I live Mexican food is just one of many and in no way close to being the most popular...
There are two things I cant stand: Mexican food and Mexican music. Brrr.

What is funny is that my neighbors are from Colombia and when I asked them once about tasting "real burritos" they looked at me like I am crazy and said they don't eat that, that's Mexican food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 AM

567 posts, read 910,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Really? Do you think most Americans eat more tacos than burgers, hotdogs, pork chops, steaks, ribss, scrambled eggs and hundreads of other American dishes?
I mean, you must be Mexican cause where I live Mexican food is just one of many and in no way close to being the most popular...
In California, Mexican food is as everyday a thing as spaghetti and meatballs in Brooklyn. Seriously, it's not considered "ethnic" or "exotic" or "unusual" at all.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,784,758 times
Yes I think it is, people like tacos, fajitas, etc... you can find Mexican restaurants easily, there is one quite famous called La cantina Mariachi. :d It's a big company.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
In California, Mexican food is as everyday a thing as spaghetti and meatballs in Brooklyn. Seriously, it's not considered "ethnic" or "exotic" or "unusual" at all.
Yuck. Is California still an American state?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,333,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post

What is funny is that my neighbors are from Colombia and when I asked them once about tasting "real burritos" they looked at me like I am crazy and said they don't eat that, that's Mexican food
Burritos are more Tex-Mex than authentic Mexican food. They're more popular in some Nothern states of Mexico, but they don't contain all the ingredients you find in American versions. What type of Mexican food have you tasted that makes you hate it so much?

As for the music, Mexico has the same variety as the U.S., they have pop and rock; you must be thinking of the Banda music which is more like their version of country music. I apologize for going a bit off topic below, but I don't like to see how some people stereotype Mexico and part of it's culture.

Here are examples: Pop

Paulina Rubio - Ni Una Sola Palabra - YouTube

Pop Rock:

Mana - Labios Compartidos (Video Oficial) - YouTube

Mexican Rock

El Tri - Cuando tu no estás (Concierto Sinfonico 30 años) - YouTube

Ranchera (has mariachi)

Alejandro Fernández - Tantita Pena - YouTube

Last edited by Canaan-84; 10-06-2012 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

What we did ...
Around Christmas, one of our yearly presents from the mother of one of our Mexican friends, was a *care package* that contained, taco shells, and spices we could absolutely not find in Europe.
I've done something similar for my kid, who lives in Paris. But Mexican food has become more popular there.
Some shops have little 'ethnic' sections where he can purchase certain items.
A Chipotle opened near his workplace.
It opened awhile ago, I assume the Parisians are enjoying it. Yes, it's Tex-Mex (I *like* Tex-Mex), yes, it's a chain, but my kids used to go to the very first Chipotle in Denver, Colorado. The original Chipotle folks did make an effort to use quality ingredients. (I only went a couple times, it was always way more than I could eat.) I don't think my son has tried it yet. He has tried other Mexican restaurants in Paris and been disappointed.
Quote:
Every time I visit relatives in SoCal, they take me out for Mexican, and it is always delicious.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,515,200 times
Yes very popular in the UK. We have the el paso fajitas mix and other things- we even have tesco value fajita mixes. I think Taco Bell have actually opened up a few restaurants over in England.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,357,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
It would be nice to be able to get a proper fish taco.
I have lived in S. California, Arizona, Texas and Colorado, and until the past 5 or 6 years I never heard of a fish taco. This is some new trendy thing that somebody made up. It's not any kind of Mexican food I have ever heard of.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-06-2012, 07:01 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
I think most people are more used to/prefer 'Tex Mex' Mexican to 'real Mexican', which is what the vast majority of Mexican you get is. I feel Mexican is too based on the variation of the burrito/taco/enchilada, there's a lot more to real Mexican cuisine than that.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
How is spghetti and meatballsand everyday thing in Brooklyn? There are many different cuisines in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or