U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:41 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,978,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have lived in S. California, Arizona, Texas and Colorado, and until the past 5 or 6 years I never heard of a fish taco. This is some new trendy thing that somebody made up. It's not any kind of Mexican food I have ever heard of.

20yrsinBranson
Uhm... no it is not "some new trendy thing that somebody made up." Fish tacos are common in Baja California and made their way up the U.S. coast from there and then eventually to other cities as the Mexican population migrated further into the mainland. If you never saw "tacos de pescado" on a tacqueria menu in SoCal you must not have been paying much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 AM

567 posts, read 905,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Yuck. Is California still an American state?
Really?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
How is spghetti and meatballsand everyday thing in Brooklyn? There are many different cuisines in Brooklyn.
Yeah, same with California. And?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM

2,924 posts, read 2,350,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Really?
Really. California seems to be drifting away from the US of A toward being a state in Mexico. We have American food in America.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,722,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't WAIT to move out of a state where EVERYTHING is Mexicanized! There are chili peppers and tomato in nearly ALL the food! Enough already! Whatever happened to variety being the spice of life? Where I live, food won't sell if it doesn't have beans and chili in it. Even our local Russian restaurant had to morph their recipes into some ghastly concoction that looked Russian on the outside, but was mostly Mexican on the inside.

If you're planning a trip to Europe, try to enjoy the local traditions. Don't expect Europe to be some kind of reflection of the US. The local cuisines are great. Europe is fine the way it is, it doesn't need to be Americanized, Disneyfied, or taco-ized.

Just my 20 cents-worth...
I have to agree with Ruth. Hey, going to another country to enjoy a different culture and eating etc., is what makes it special (aside from the fact I am over here in Europe scouring for some gingerale)! Their food over here is wonderful, I don't miss any of the mexican junk like we have back home.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,722,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I have to agree with Ruth. Hey, going to another country to enjoy a different culture and eating etc., is what makes it special (aside from the fact I am over here in Europe scouring for some gingerale)! Their food over here is wonderful, I don't miss any of the mexican junk like we have back home.
I don't miss the McDonalds or Burger Kings either. I do miss a regular homemade all beef hamburger though if we go out for our picky eating son!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,157,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uhm... no it is not "some new trendy thing that somebody made up." Fish tacos are common in Baja California and made their way up the U.S. coast from there and then eventually to other cities as the Mexican population migrated further into the mainland. If you never saw "tacos de pescado" on a tacqueria menu in SoCal you must not have been paying much attention.
Fish tacos are da bomb! i heard they were a Californian thing, but not surprised if they originated in the Baja part of California.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Really. California seems to be drifting away from the US of A toward being a state in Mexico. We have American food in America.
California tri-tip beats the pants off of Texas brisket any day. How do you like them apples, Mr. Real 'Murrican? And like it or not, burritos are every bit as American as Chicago pizza, spaghetti and meatballs, and Polish sausages. You can take that to the bank, buddy.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 AM

2,924 posts, read 2,350,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
California tri-tip beats the pants off of Texas brisket any day. How do you like them apples, Mr. Real 'Murrican? And like it or not, burritos are every bit as American as Chicago pizza, spaghetti and meatballs, and Polish sausages. You can take that to the bank, buddy.
Nah. Mexican food is what it is: Mexican. We don't need that cr*p in America. Mexicans do.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,329,052 times
Quote:
Nah. Mexican food is what it is: Mexican. We don't need that cr*p in America. Mexicans do.
I see you ignored my previous message so I'll ask again what type of "Mexican" food have you eaten; it's highly likely you've only tried Tex-Mex not authentic Mexican? Also, when you say Mexican food should stay in Mexico does that include chocolate, tomato, and Vanilla? Many of these originated in Mexico; I should probably include patato as well which originated in Peru but since it's not originally American you might also take issue with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or