U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,201,777 times

Advertisements

Mexican taquerias are very popular in the USA

do they have Taco Bell or any Taquerias in europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM

78,509 posts, read 70,430,585 times
I can't WAIT to move out of a state where EVERYTHING is Mexicanized! There are chili peppers and tomato in nearly ALL the food! Enough already! Whatever happened to variety being the spice of life? Where I live, food won't sell if it doesn't have beans and chili in it. Even our local Russian restaurant had to morph their recipes into some ghastly concoction that looked Russian on the outside, but was mostly Mexican on the inside.

If you're planning a trip to Europe, try to enjoy the local traditions. Don't expect Europe to be some kind of reflection of the US. The local cuisines are great. Europe is fine the way it is, it doesn't need to be Americanized, Disneyfied, or taco-ized.

Just my 20 cents-worth...

Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,464,366 times
It would be nice to be able to get a proper fish taco.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,161,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't WAIT to move out of a state where EVERYTHING is Mexicanized! There are chili peppers and tomato in nearly ALL the food! Enough already! Whatever happened to variety being the spice of life? Where I live, food won't sell if it doesn't have beans and chili in it. Even our local Russian restaurant had to morph their recipes into some ghastly concoction that looked Russian on the outside, but was mostly Mexican on the inside.

If you're planning a trip to Europe, try to enjoy the local traditions. Don't expect Europe to be some kind of reflection of the US. The local cuisines are great. Europe is fine the way it is, it doesn't need to be Americanized, Disneyfied, or taco-ized.

So uh, is that a "yes" or a "no"?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Mexican taquerias are very popular in the USA

do they have Taco Bell or any Taquerias in europe?
As Europe is a continent and not a country I will only answer for Germany. You can check Wikipedia on Taco Bell yourself.

There are currently no Taco Bells in Germany apart from in American barracks. Apparently there used to be one in Munich.

What we have, in larger cities, is Mexican restaurants, and sometimes Italian take-aways also offer Mexican food.

What Ruth said is of course right. Sadly too many people go on holidays abroad and expect the food they are used to.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,464,366 times
Taco Bell is not Mexican food - It is barely food for that matter.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 AM

684 posts, read 694,610 times
The Mission is a Mexican restaurant in Reading, just outside the Greater London Area that specializes in making Burritos and make a rather nice hot sauce with Habanero. It's possibly my favorite place to get quick food. There certainly aren't as many Mexican places in England as there are in the US, and Taco Bell doesn't exist in England, but what we do have is usually pretty good.

I have yet to find a place in the UK that makes Migas, however.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 AM

567 posts, read 909,837 times
I'm a Mexican-American from Los Angeles, which qualifies me as an arbiter of what the real deal is and ain't. You'll find Mexican-style restaurants here and there, usually in larger cities where there are students. I have yet to find anything that approximates the real deal. Every time I try a place, I go "shoulda known better."

Maybe good Mexican food can be found in Spain?

In America, it used to be that real deal Mexican food could not be found anywhere east of Denver or north of Reno, with the exception of Chicago. Maybe it's different now, seeing as how us Mess'kins have been turning up in some unlikely places in recent years.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 AM

5,325 posts, read 11,039,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I'm a Mexican-American from Los Angeles, which qualifies me as an arbiter of what the real deal is and ain't. You'll find Mexican-style restaurants here and there, usually in larger cities where there are students. I have yet to find anything that approximates the real deal. Every time I try a place, I go "shoulda known better."
OK, you're from a place I happen to know.
You may have heard about Titos Tacos ? About the only place where *I* think, you can get a good all beef burrito !

I think, due to the business decisions often made, *Mexican food* tends to get *Americanised* ?
Or one can say, *localised* ? (Akin to *Chinese American* food ?)

On the other hand, the smaller the place and the *worse* the accent (when the owner(s) talk to you), the better the food, any ethnic food !
Since I am *not* from Mexico, I can not say it was the real deal, but it fit my taste.
Growing up in the LA area in my 20's, and living closely to Mexican Americans, I learned what it should taste like from the mothers of my friends. If you do not know what I am talking about, then your *friend* was not a Mexican American, but an American Mexican !!

BTW, you will never see me in a chain type *Mexican Style* restaurant.

About Mexican food in Europe, I (as an American *expat*) never had any there (Europe) in the 80's and 90's.
But then, I never looked for any. I had my share of bad *Mexican food* in the USA.
Now if you are a real European, living in Europe, you might like to have some good Mexican food in the country where you live. Nothing wrong with a person *from* Mexico, opening up a real Mexican Food restaurant somewhere in Europe. Today, I am sure there are some, but probably few and far in between.

To mention Taco Bell as a *Mexican Food* place is really wrong !
To mention *Taco Bell* and *Taquerias* in one sentence ????
You are lucky, in the USA, there is *freedom of the press*
If chains like that open up in Europe, I presume *real Mexican food* will never become popular, but who knows ...

What we did ...
Around Christmas, one of our yearly presents from the mother of one of our Mexican friends, was a *care package* that contained, taco shells, and spices we could absolutely not find in Europe.
Everything else, we could cook in our own kitchen.
The other thing was (when I was home visiting the *home office*) was to buy a dozen all beef burritos from Titos Tacos, tell the Lady they were to take away on a travel trip, so she packed each one separately in foil AND Saran wrap, freeze them in the hotel freezer, and fly them back to Europe ...
Keep in mind this happened in the 80's and 90's. You do that now, TSA will probably confiscate/(aka steal) them and eat them !!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,949,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

i don't think the original poster was asking for planning a trip to europe and chowing down on mexican...i think he was just wondering if it's as popular there as everywhere her in the usa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or