U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,507,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I'm afraid the current stereotype about Valencia among people under 35 is Jersey Shore types, gym junkies who listen to hardcore techno music, love MMA and may have far-right sympathies.

This, basically:
Why do Europeans copy America's crap? Or is America copying Europe's crap?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM

5,183 posts, read 5,836,702 times
Norway:
  • Oslo: Arrogant, cold, snobbish
  • Southern Norway: Pleasant, religious, moralistic
  • Bergen: Extremely patriotic, loud, talkative
  • Ålesund/Sunnmøre: Greedy or (frugal), innovative/entrepreneurial spirit
  • Trondheim region: "Hillbillies", men with mustaches, drink moonshine, naive, weird people (outside Trondheim)
  • Tromsø/Northern Norway: Generous, warm, use profanity/obscene language, promiscuous, simple humour

Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 AM

857 posts, read 1,415,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post

Swabians&Baden (e.g. Stuttgart, Lake Constance region, Black Forest): good weather (for German conditions), great landscape (the Lake Constance/Bodensee ) ,conservative, annoying accent, "stuffy", "stingy/mean"-money, humourless etc.
Sorry, the stinginess cliché only applies to the Swabians, not to Baden. And our accent/dialect is not annnoying !!!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 AM

857 posts, read 1,415,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Why do Europeans copy America's crap? Or is America copying Europe's crap?

Europeans have copied American things and also its crap for at least 60 years. If America would be less self-centred and more open to the outside world it would also copy some European things, including our crap.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Europeans have copied American things and also its crap for at least 60 years. If America would be less self-centred and more open to the outside world it would also copy some European things, including our crap.
My God, my German friend, we agree. My father always said that American mass media polluted Italy and turned it into a country of libertines. The reality is that, beyond being family oriented, I think they've always been libertines. But the Germans win the libertine sweepstakes when it comes to nudism, flocking to Spain and Greece to bare it all on the beaches.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,771,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
What about Valencians??
Nothing special to be honest, the paella, but it is a typical gastronomy not a stereotype

Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Nothing special to be honest, the paella, but it is a typical gastronomy not a stereotype
Agree, Catbelle, what a HUGE disappointment. What a schizophrenically laid-out city. The beaches are in one place, the port district is in another, there is a redevelopment zone with the fancy museum (the one that looks like a big insect), the business area with the metro underneath lies more northeasterly than that, and the historic center is somewhere else. Never again. And I'm not even crazy about paella.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 PM

567 posts, read 905,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Norway:[*]Bergen: Extremely patriotic, loud, talkative
I seriously LOLed. When I went to Norway, the very first stop was Bergen, and one of the first things I noticed was how quiet it was. Walk through an Italian neighborhood, even in the north where I live, and people are shouting and hollering and jabbering and arguing all the live-long day. And then when I got to Bergen it felt like I was at the library. People were practically whispering. I was like "wow, it's so quiet and subdued here!"

If that's considered loud and talkative by Norweigan standards... oh man!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 AM

5,183 posts, read 5,836,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I seriously LOLed. When I went to Norway, the very first stop was Bergen, and one of the first things I noticed was how quiet it was. Walk through an Italian neighborhood, even in the north where I live, and people are shouting and hollering and jabbering and arguing all the live-long day. And then when I got to Bergen it felt like I was at the library. People were practically whispering. I was like "wow, it's so quiet and subdued here!"

If that's considered loud and talkative by Norweigan standards... oh man!
I think it mostly applies to soccer supporters and certain media personalities. It does not help that their dialect is so awful All places in Norway are quiet. Bergen is just of regional importance, so there is very little going on there (compared to Oslo).

Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,700,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Interesting thread this!

In Belgium:

Wallonians are (negative) lazy, corrupt, arrogant, but also (positive) warm, tolerant, bon-vivants
You forgot slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or