U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,433,035 times

Advertisements

We don't really have any stereotypes in Northern Ireland. Its more based on Politics/Religion and Dialects.

North Coast: Ulster-Scots country "hae a wee cap a tae"- People here are very Conservative and quite Religious. A few people are like the Southern Conservatives in the Deep South of the USA.
Fermanagh- Not sure.
Derry- "That days while isn't it hi"- Very Nationalist.
Belfast- Not going to go there.
South Down- Talk like southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,433,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Why do Europeans copy America's crap? Or is America copying Europe's crap?
Mainland Europeans don't copy americans as much as we do in the UK.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,503,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I seriously LOLed. When I went to Norway, the very first stop was Bergen, and one of the first things I noticed was how quiet it was. Walk through an Italian neighborhood, even in the north where I live, and people are shouting and hollering and jabbering and arguing all the live-long day. And then when I got to Bergen it felt like I was at the library. People were practically whispering. I was like "wow, it's so quiet and subdued here!"

If that's considered loud and talkative by Norweigan standards... oh man!
Haha.

I know exactly what you're talking about. And Scandinavia would drive me crazy.

I once flew on Scandinavian (good, reliable air carrier) from Seattle to Rome, with a connection in their Copenhagen hub. CPH airport was like a morgue. It is by design "a silent airport," with no announcements made. Even Frankfurt has some noise - announcements, and a smoking area for Turks and Middle Easterners. Arrival in Rome: obnoxious people in the waiting area expecting their relatives to deplane, noise, poseurs, announcements, audible cell phone drama, and cigarettes going outside the terminal building. I thought "God, this is normal."

Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,836,702 times
Sadly, Italian airports are a mess. Just chaos. I prefer the German ones (Ordnung muss sein).

Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,503,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Sadly, Italian airports are a mess. Just chaos. I prefer the German ones (Ordnung muss sein).
Not if you like people watching.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,364,800 times
What about Australia, Trimac?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,165,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
What about Australia, Trimac?
Queensland - The 'Deep North', conservative, right-wing, a bit racist

South Australians and Tasmanians: In-bred hicks

North Territory: Love a drop

Western Australia: The wild west

NSW: Think they're the most important state

Vic: Always trying to one-up NSW. New South Welsh-people refer to them as 'Mexicans'. Bookish and fashionable.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,364,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Queensland - The 'Deep North', conservative, right-wing, a bit racist

South Australians and Tasmanians: In-bred hicks

North Territory: Love a drop

Western Australia: The wild west

NSW: Think they're the most important state

Vic: Always trying to one-up NSW. New South Welsh-people refer to them as 'Mexicans'. Bookish and fashionable.
So it basically boils down to:

NSW and Victoria: Arrogant yuppies
Rest of the country: Inbred racist rednecks

Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,165,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
So it basically boils down to:

NSW and Victoria: Arrogant yuppies
Rest of the country: Inbred racist rednecks

You could say that. Or, more accurately, anyone outside Sydney or Melbourne the second category.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,313 times
If it is not too late to add new stuff, I would like to ennumerate some other interregional or interethnic types from Spain:

Catalonia (north-east coast): not very good sense of humor (not an accurate stereotype), Hispanophobic separatists (maybe a minortity are, but not more than that), affected, polite, hard-working (supposedly), one of the richest regions, good in commerce but not so good in science, technology and in formal intellectual pursuits

Galicia (north-west): indecisive, ambiguous, weird, friendly, closed, Celtic-culture lovers, English-Tolkien's Shire climate

Basque country (north): tough, hard-working, rude, cold character, lovers of black humor, all of them are ETA sympathisers (complete myth), straightforward, closed, good cuisine, noble, English-Tolkien's Shire climate, one of the richest regions, very liked people among Spaniards (despite the terrorist past), difficult to get girls to make sex

Castile (center to north): dry sense of humor, colder character than southerners, conservative, down-to-earth, young countryside smart asses

Valencia (east coast): flashy types, hooligan character, morbidly obssessed with party, sex and drugs

Andalusia (south): easygoing, extra-sociable, lazy (even for the Spanish standards), a lot of gypsies, exotic, flamenco enthusiasts, arabized, funny, leftists, dated courtly love, one of the poorest regions, hot weather, loose concept of seriousness, affectionate

Aragon (north-east): boring, honest, they speak to you at a very close range, romantic sentiment towards the countryside

Madrid city: cocky, cosmopolite vs. conservative liberals with some fascist nostalgia

Barcelona city: cosmopolite, fashion obsessed, party lovers, trendy (both good and bad trends), drug lovers, gay stronghold, squatting stronghold, electronic music stronghold, open minded, friendly, girls not very difficult to achieve, ethnically diverse (pure catalan, catalan of spanish descent, mixed of spanish and catalan descent, recent immigrants from outside Spain), outskirt ghettos (with gypsies, immigrants, and catalans of spanish descent)

Last edited by Raimundo; 06-03-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or