Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Things that are ordinary in Russia tend to be for the upper classes in the West, certainly in America. Like the above, in your photos, caviar, паштет (I forget what it's called in English). Things that are luxuries in the West (fur coats) are ordinary in Russia, and visa versa.
Yeah like cars, microwaves, plasma TVs and anything that's related to technology. After all average salary in Russia is few times below Europe.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,202 times
How can you going to define the classes ? She has one class, called dlyu people. I know that for instance the heart or liver and not the white meat of chicken in America is for the lower Loew society . So this is ridiculous. Each has its advantages and benefits . As they say in China there is not edible products ,there are bad cook. And I agree with them. It's weird to have stereotype when they are used to eating.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Yeah like cars, microwaves, plasma TVs and anything that's related to technology. After all average salary in Russia is few times below Europe.
microwave ovens, TVs plasma or LCD and a car is not a luxury , computers in Russia ,it is the most common technique.For example the far East . The salary of 1-2 thousand dollars ,but many people buy expensive cars . As far as technique it is not expensive ,don't forget to Japan and China , Korea with us neighbors.For example many of the 2 car or by 2-3 TV or computer that you are talking about a luxury . The technique is cheap . computers are falling in price every 3 months,as well as phones and everything else. For example I have 2 TV one LCD ,other plasma with 3D ,but I they don't even use , I like to look films at the cinema projector they are not expensive . Here are the musical instruments is always a price,especially professional.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 10-07-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, good start. "Bath" means: "sauna" or sweat bath, readers. Samovar, very true. There are many subtleties about Russian culture that show Asian influence, but I can't think of any right now. But those pagan traditions come mostly from ancient Indo-European tradition. I never heard of the pancake ritual, that's fascinating. So the pancake is a sun symbol?

Is tea and extended tea-time rituals Asian? It's popular in England, too, so that's a little confusing. But Central Asia is all about tea, and teahouses.
Tea originated in Asia, China and India, and was exported to Europe during the colonial era. That's how the English got a taste for tea. The English word for 'tea' is actually a Hokkien word from Fujian Province, China, which is a well-known tea growing area.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Tea originated in Asia, China and India, and was exported to Europe during the colonial era. That's how the English got a taste for tea. The English word for 'tea' is actually a Hokkien word from Fujian Province, China, which is a well-known tea growing area.
England about tea learned through the travel records of the Dutch traveler - Van Lin - Shuтеn . Russia from the ambassadors . He Naturally went from China.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Trimac20 ,You're from Australia ? There was a time in the shop you can buy the meat of a kangaroo ,is very good. Now this is rare.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Kvass-drink on bread
Attached Thumbnails
How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-1280866204_9.jpg  

Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Okroshka-Dish on kvass
Attached Thumbnails
How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-89159761_okroshka.jpg   How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-okroshka3.jpg  

Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
microwave ovens, TVs plasma or LCD and a car is not a luxury , computers in Russia ,it is the most common technique.For example the far East . The salary of 1-2 thousand dollars ,but many people buy expensive cars . As far as technique it is not expensive ,don't forget to Japan and China , Korea with us neighbors.For example many of the 2 car or by 2-3 TV or computer that you are talking about a luxury . The technique is cheap . computers are falling in price every 3 months,as well as phones and everything else. For example I have 2 TV one LCD ,other plasma with 3D ,but I they don't even use , I like to look films at the cinema projector they are not expensive . Here are the musical instruments is always a price,especially professional.
Based on the official statistics average salary in Russia was about $622 so things like plasma TV or cars were well beyond the reach of an average Russian worker. Of course this is the average so many make more but also many make less.
For comparison the average salary in Germany was $2900 a month.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...y_average_wage

Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Very interesting comment. Plasma TV's were common in Russia long before we'd ever heard of them in the US, and when they did hit the US, they were unaffordable at first. My guests from Russia would ask me why I had a big, bulky old-fashioned picture-tube TV, and I never knew what they were talking about, "flat screen TV", until they became available in the US. But when they first became available, the cost thousands of dollars. Microwaves have been in use in Russia since the 90's, but you have to bear in mind that Russia had laws limiting the amount of microwaves in the environment. Excess microwaves were considered a health hazard.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-07-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe