Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
OK, what Grey Karast is trying to present here apparently, is a number of Russian traditions that were preserved from pagan ( pre-Christian) times.
However I suspect it's not all that unique, and pagan traditions are probably alive and well in Scandinavian countries too.
(Correct me if I am wrong.)
I thought so, what is the same in Russia, with Asian countries, as Nahum, not what comes.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Kvass, I think in Europe it is not. it is the drink of the bread. You can say something like beer but not bitter and without alcohol

Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Complicated question, but answer, say Bath, Samovar, Russian bread da salt
Yes, good start. "Bath" means: "sauna" or sweat bath, readers. Samovar, very true. There are many subtleties about Russian culture that show Asian influence, but I can't think of any right now. But those pagan traditions come mostly from ancient Indo-European tradition. I never heard of the pancake ritual, that's fascinating. So the pancake is a sun symbol?

Is tea and extended tea-time rituals Asian? It's popular in England, too, so that's a little confusing. But Central Asia is all about tea, and teahouses.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, good start. "Bath" means: "sauna" or sweat bath, readers. Samovar, very true. There are many subtleties about Russian culture that show Asian influence, but I can't think of any right now. But those pagan traditions come mostly from ancient Indo-European tradition. I never heard of the pancake ritual, that's fascinating. So the pancake is a sun symbol?

Is tea and extended tea-time rituals Asian? It's popular in England, too, so that's a little confusing. But Central Asia is all about tea, and teahouses.
Yes, a Pancake - the symbol of the Sun. Red days, good harvests, handsome marriage and healthy children» In Russia tea from the East penetrated earlier than in Europe. In Russia tea for the first time was in the 16th century, and in England in the 17th . the tea in Russia has got accustomed not immediately. As to all foreign диковинам, the Russian people initially reacted to the tea very cautiously. Its role was played by the fact that the drink was brought from the East, which since ancient times associated with danger and disaster. Before that in Russia traditionally drank broths from strawberry, cowberry, oregano, hips, currant, St. John's wort, thyme and other local herbs. Particularly popular in Russia enjoyed a hot herbal sbiten .

The British and Russians differently understand the value of the tea party. So, in Russia tea party is first of all a form of human communication, tea table brings together all those present. While drinking tea in Russia does not keep silent, people need to communicate, exchange views, share news, relax and enjoy. Important is the atmosphere of cordiality and courtesy. In England the first of all is important style: how the table, as filed tea, people were talking, important and layout of the house as a whole. The main thing in English tea party is to make a good impression, to show that the house is a respected and decent.

Differently passes in Russia and England the tea party. So, varies serving tea-table. For example, an indispensable attribute of the Russian tea unlike English has always been the samovar. Without him it is difficult to imagine the present tea-party in Russian. Varies and the traditional form of the tea service: in England prefer elongated form, and in Russia more like to drink tea from «the pot-bellied» cups. In Russia often drink tea from a Cup in the advisable, while in England the subject of the tea-table no.

There are differences in varieties of tea, served in the Russian and English tea-table. So, in Russia traditionally drink black tea, and in England, according to the tea etiquette, be sure to offer the guest a few varieties of tea to choose from.

Traditional tea is also different. In England it is accepted to drink so-called «white tea, i.e. tea with milk (and the first in a Cup, it is necessary to pour the milk and only then - tea), in Russia, the milk is not added, preferring to put in the tea a slice of lemon.

Has its unique features and refreshments, served for tea in Russia and England. In General, English tea table very reserved for a snack in comparison with the Russian tea table, which, as a rule, is overloaded with all kinds of treats, that indicates the broad Russian soul.

Thus, despite the fact that tea is the drink of tea, traditions of tea drinking in Russia and England have their own history and its unique features.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Fascinating, Grey, thank you. I would say, though, in parts of Asian Russia, milk is essential to tea. And yes, the whole point of tea-time in Russia is the conversation, visiting with people. The best conversations I've ever had in my life were in Russian kitchens, over tea. In England, in my experience, tea-time is a small meal. It's not so important, the social aspect. But my experience in England is limited.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Had watched an American movie and laughed so, when he is portrayed Russians . One guy took off his Shoe and put it upon himself the samovar . Lol

Boots served the function of furs - blowing decaying coals. Indeed, he was dressed in a hole, which were in no way associated with the tea.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Fascinating, Grey, thank you. I would say, though, in parts of Asian Russia, milk is essential to tea. And yes, the whole point of tea-time in Russia is the conversation, visiting with people. The best conversations I've ever had in my life were in Russian kitchens, over tea. In England, in my experience, tea-time is a small meal. It's not so important, the social aspect. But my experience in England is limited.
Always happy! Yes you are right tea drinking in Russia and with milk,but traditionally ,although traditionally lemon appeared in Russia not so and long. In Any movie about the 2 world Stalin with a glass of tea with lemon , maybe he is the legislator of a fashion lol

Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM

That's interesting to me , Russia is an American Tim ,he many have described the difference between America and Russia .Example - ASPIC ( I know that there is in Germany, too), He said that Americans don't understand . They compare it with Jelly . Better in the photo that clearly was.Is it true?And I wonder is kvass where else?( I know that today Europe began to appreciate the drink and started to produce a ) Okroshka also traditionally Russian food. ( the basis of the same kvass)
Attached Thumbnails
How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-.gif   How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-gelatin1.jpg   How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-52471392_8dd11.jpg   How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-7127422ba0df.jpg   How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-2039800.jpg  

How does Russian culture differ from the rest of Europe?-.jpg  

Last edited by GreyKarast; 10-07-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Things that are ordinary in Russia tend to be for the upper classes in the West, certainly in America. Like the above, in your photos, caviar, паштет (I forget what it's called in English). Things that are luxuries in the West (fur coats) are ordinary in Russia, and visa versa.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM

I think in Alaska , for example red caviar is not a Luxury. The same as and in Kamchatka. Or am I mistaken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.