U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,973 posts, read 41,765,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
We love to laugh at the hapless American tourist who cannot pronounce "Leicester Square", or tips the barman when his drink has been poured for him(!)
That was me 15 years ago. I've visited the town of Leciester in Massachusetts a year or two ago. Correct prounciation is "lester" like the british one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,507,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
You should start a new thread in the UK forum, Robert, you'll get plenty of heated replies for shouty Brits on there!
My comments are valid from my perspective and life experiences:

1) I don't recommend that someone who comes from a country where you drive on one side of the road then embarks on renting a car where they drive on the other side of the road. Driving in Europe is stressful enough, paying heed to local language signs and having to constantly mentally convert kilometers to miles.

2) I've been to London once. Fine and dandy. Not as grand as Paris in my mind. It was on a July 27 and 28, and it was drizziling both days.

3) LA wannabees and Brit wannabees love each other. They make great bedfellows.

Back to Spain on Latin America:

This Colombian woman in Spain might be part of the problem. There are 4 sisters in that family, and each of them is a supreme pain in the ass to their husband, and two of them were dumped by their husbands because it became excessive.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:56 PM

274 posts, read 736,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That was me 15 years ago. I've visited the town of Leciester in Massachusetts a year or two ago. Correct prounciation is "lester" like the british one.

Brits say "lister" square (Spanish phonetics). I always remembered because Lister was a murderous general in Spain.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I think he was asking how regular Spanish citizens view Latin America, not how the government and corporations think; the three don't always go hand and hand.

Since Spanish people are becoming increasingly Eurosceptics and the tide is turning, the view is changing. Before, when Franco croaked in 1975, people dispised Latin America and adored Europe (except some Francoists, nostalgics, etc)....now the tide is turning and people are rejecting Europe and embracing the traditional areas of interests and the cultural sphere represented by Latin America, North Africa, Philipines and even the Hispanic community inside the US.

Some 40 years ago, Spanish people (except fascists) had a great inferiority complex because French and Europeans used to say that Spain was Africa. When Spain entered into the Nato and the EEC, there was a great European enthusiasm and Latin America was perceived as a backwards place.....now things have changed tremendously since people realize that Europe is a crap only good for tourists and exports and that the only places that offer future are well away from Europe. People have also realized that Europe does not count in defense, since the US were the ones that solved the problems we had with Morrocco.

So the europe thing is kind of waning.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
My comments are valid from my perspective and life experiences:

This Colombian woman in Spain might be part of the problem. There are 4 sisters in that family, and each of them is a supreme pain in the ass to their husband, and two of them were dumped by their husbands because it became excessive.

According to Quechua Indians from Ecuador and other Andean amerindians living by the millions in Spain, and doing a great service to the country tending the elders, as nurses, waithers, restaurant owners, doctors, construction workers and a large etcetera, they are treated 10 times better in Spain than by their oligarchies in Ecuador and Bolivia.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,771,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I think he was asking how regular Spanish citizens view Latin America, not how the government and corporations think; the three don't always go hand and hand.
Yeah, some people don't notice, thanks lol

Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 AM

2,924 posts, read 2,351,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wait you are saying this, but I heard the Spanish have a questionable view about people from Latin America, particularly if they are from South America. I've heard you call them (or us) "Sudacas". What's all that about?
My Spaniard friends refer to south Americans as Indians.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 AM

7,144 posts, read 7,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
Since Spanish people are becoming increasingly Eurosceptics and the tide is turning, the view is changing. Before, when Franco croaked in 1975, people dispised Latin America and adored Europe (except some Francoists, nostalgics, etc)....now the tide is turning and people are rejecting Europe and embracing the traditional areas of interests and the cultural sphere represented by Latin America, North Africa, Philipines and even the Hispanic community inside the US.

Some 40 years ago, Spanish people (except fascists) had a great inferiority complex because French and Europeans used to say that Spain was Africa. When Spain entered into the Nato and the EEC, there was a great European enthusiasm and Latin America was perceived as a backwards place.....now things have changed tremendously since people realize that Europe is a crap only good for tourists and exports and that the only places that offer future are well away from Europe. People have also realized that Europe does not count in defense, since the US were the ones that solved the problems we had with Morrocco.

So the europe thing is kind of waning.

i would have thought that their are tremendous opportunities for spain in the increasingly important economys of south america , south america should be to spain what the usa is ( or at least was many years ago ) to england

Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 AM

327 posts, read 859,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
Brits say "lister" square (Spanish phonetics). I always remembered because Lister was a murderous general in Spain.
No we don't, it's pronouced "Lesster"

Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 AM

327 posts, read 859,413 times
[quote=robertpolyglot;26472240]My comments are valid from my perspective and life experiences:

1) I don't recommend that someone who comes from a country where you drive on one side of the road then embarks on renting a car where they drive on the other side of the road. Driving in Europe is stressful enough, paying heed to local language signs and having to constantly mentally convert kilometers to miles.

2) I've been to London once. Fine and dandy. Not as grand as Paris in my mind. It was on a July 27 and 28, and it was drizziling both days.

3) LA wannabees and Brit wannabees love each other. They make great bedfellows.

quote]

1) I agree, I think someone who was used to the smooth straight highways of the US would find the twisty turny roads and complicated junctions a nightmare - particularly in a manual transmission. I used to work in a car hire shop when I was a student and I lost count of the number of times Americans/Canadians got into accidents. However, you'd be surprised at how quickly your brain gets used to the "other side" issue. First time I got behind the wheel on the continent (in Italy) I was terrified - after 30 minutes it seems totally natural. And actually, distance signage in the UK (though not in Ireland) is still in miles.

2) Sounds pretty typical of the British weather, but people have got to stop stressing about it. The climate is changeable and can be wet year round. You could be there another year in May and have a week of unbroken sunshine and 24C heat.

3) All the most vacuous Brits seem to end up in LA - but there's really no equivalent of it in Europe. They probably think everyone will instantly love them because of their accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or