Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,673,906 times

Advertisements

All,
I'm going to Germany next week for work , Kiel, Lubeck and Rostock. I have some time offf as well so can anyone advise if Peenemunde is worth the time to visit? I also plan on seeing the Naval memorial in Laboe. Are there any other historical sites worth seeing in Northern Germany?
Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,567,553 times
Not an expert on Northern Germany, but Schwerin has a nice castle and other attractions.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Insel_See.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._orangerie.jpg

Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,783,110 times
Peenemuende, is like visiting some rock with a plaque on it (aka *Historical Marker*) when you drive across the USA. Just my opinion.
There is Technical Museum as I recall, and if you like fish, some darn good restaurants !!!

The Naval Thing is OK, if you're into History. There are some things to look at, like U-boots etc.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM

990 posts, read 1,841,757 times
Neither am I an expert on Northern or Eastern Germany.

I associate Peenemünde with WW2, the V bombs and KZ. No attractions for me there. If I were in that area I would want to see the Rügen island Rügen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM

23,863 posts, read 71,206,225 times
Lübeck is history and so are Kiel and Rostock.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Lübeck is history and so are Kiel and Rostock.
Lubeck for sure! Looking forward to that!...For all practical purpose Kiel was built in the 50's. Over 45 air raids in 1945 alone bombed it into nothing......Not so sure about Rostock..

Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM

What do you even mean by historical sites and by Northern Germany? If you are willing to travel for hours to the southern and western parts of Northern Germany (like to the Harz region or the Teutoburg Forest), the number of interesting sites increases a lot.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What do you even mean by historical sites and by Northern Germany? If you are willing to travel for hours to the southern and western parts of Northern Germany (like to the Harz region or the Teutoburg Forest), the number of interesting sites increases a lot.
I am somewhat restricted schedule wise. This is ostensibly a work trip interspersed with free time so Hamburg and points North are about it I think . I will be at the Cat/MAK facilities in Kiel and Rostock for most of the time......About 2 weeks total time in country with maybe only 2 days consecutivly of free time. Back in December but going to ABB facilities in Finland and Estonia...

Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Well, Hamburg is a major train node, so you might go to Bremen, Lüneburg/Hannover, or even Berlin on high speed trains.
But I think you will be quite tired from work and listening to German, anyway So you will eventually end up not doing very much in your spare time Frankly, if I had so little time I would probably just go for a walk and explore the city I am in, maybe drop in at a local museum, eat at a good restaurant, rent a bike, etc. But I would refrain from trying to see as much as possible, tourist stress is not much fun.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,799,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, Hamburg is a major train node, so you might go to Bremen, Lüneburg/Hannover, or even Berlin on high speed trains.
But I think you will be quite tired from work and listening to German, anyway So you will eventually end up not doing very much in your spare time Frankly, if I had so little time I would probably just go for a walk and explore the city I am in, maybe drop in at a local museum, eat at a good restaurant, rent a bike, etc. But I would refrain from trying to see as much as possible, tourist stress is not much fun.
True, when you rush to see as many places as possible. you also don't enjoy what you see as much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe