Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Well, I was responding to the question: Are Russians Europeans or Asians. It all depends on how you translate "russians". Русский народ -- European. Asians are not Русские, they're Россияне. Do they live in a nation that's European or Asian?

In a word, "yes". They live in a nation that's both. Doesn't Turkey belong to the EU? So it's E. If there were an Asian union of nations, it could belong there, as well. So could Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 04:09 PM

As for whether Valdivostok is Asian or European, just because Putin is trying to turn it into a center for trade with Asia doesn't make it an Asian city. It sort of reminds me of St. Petersburg, in that St. Pete's was Peter's "window on the West". Well, Vladivostok is Russia's "window on the East".

Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I was responding to the question: Are Russians Europeans or Asians. It all depends on how you translate "russians". Русский народ -- European. Asians are not Русские, they're Россияне. Do they live in a nation that's European or Asian?
Well yeah, those definitions came in place to substitute for difference between "Russian" and "Soviet" - before that "Russians" meant Russian ethnicity only.

Quote:
In a word, "yes". They live in a nation that's both. Doesn't Turkey belong to the EU?
No it doesn't. That's where the US would love to see it, but Europeans - not so much.

Accession of Turkey to the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( I'm sure they are not thrilled with current Polish attempts to push there Azerbaijan, Ukraine and what's not)

Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
( I'm sure they are not thrilled with current Polish attempts to push there Azerbaijan, Ukraine and what's not)
Thx for link. I thought I read recently that Georgia and Azerbaijan were going to join. Is this a Polish initiative? You'd think the US would be for it as well...all those oil reserves, you know. Kind of stretching the definition of "Europe".

Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Heh.

Europe has mixed feelings about Eastern Partnership - YouTube

Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,206 times
Azerbaijan in the EU? I doubt it, is not even a candidate.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Azerbaijan in the EU? I doubt it, is not even a candidate.
At this point - of course not, it's only a matter of "partnership" for now, but I'm pretty sure that would be Azerbaijan's further aspirations...

Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
It seems that the users on here have decided to generate their own set of Terms of Service. I assure you that this is not needed, we already have a very good set and it is there for people to follow. This thread is closed while I clean it up. In the mean time, do not DM me and say, "I didn't mean to say that", because it will not do any good. You had 90 minutes to retract that post and chose not to, so what is written, is written.

The thread will be reopened after it is cleaned up.... Maybe, if it is worth salvaging.

ElkHunter

Ok, the thread is open again. It has taken me about 3 hours to clean up what 5 people have destroyed. I suggest those 5 people take note at the number of posts of theirs that got deleted for being off topic. I know I have taken note.

If anybody has any heartburn with what I have done here, dm me. Do not discuss it on the forum, that will be frowned upon as it is a violation of the TOS and right now, I'm a little tired of looking at Violations.

STAY ON TOPIC, BE CIVIL!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 11-05-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 6,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
We gave enough territory to China, China was not exit in the Sea of ​​Japan, and now it is. Dalian is also a former Russian port which is called Far.The Japanese also want the Kuril Islands, but have always been Russian. This shows many historical documents. that Russia could provide what Japan can not do, because the Japanese were not there, and even lived Hakaydo not Japanese, there lived other people who had assimilated with the Japanese.should look to America! America does not give even an inch or anyone within its territory, on the contrary. But Russia is a generous soul gives to the right and left its territory. For which our forefathers died.
It's interesting that you brought up Dalian and claimed that "Russian gave territory to China". I'm surprised some Russian like you could be so ignorant and of course your claims are pathetically false.

The north eastern China and southern Serbia has long been the homeland of north-eastern Asian nomadic people, including Manchu and early Korean people. The Russian were not exist in the entire far east area until mid-16th century. When the Manchu (Qing) army drove out the invading Cossacks and settled the Treaty of Nerchinsk with Russia on 1689, the outer Manchuria officially became the territory of Qing, hence inherited by modern China. In fact, the Manchu people already established the city of Hǎishēnwǎi (海參崴) in modern day Vladivostok when the Russian were still under the ruling of Mongols.

China lost lots of land during 19th century and Hǎishēnwǎi was taken by Russian under the treaty of Aigun at that time. However that doesn't guarantee the legitimacy of Russian control of the land since China has never acknowledged the treaty officially and the treaty was unequal by any measure. Let's do the simple math here, the outer Manchuria has been in control of Russian for about 150 years, but it had been in control of Manchu for nearly 1000 years. The shift of territorial sovereignty happens all the time in human history and I won't be surprised that one day the outer Manchuria were reseized by Chinese again due to whatever economical or military reason, especially when the Manchu-Chinese have legitimate claim on their homeland.

Dalian was leased to Russian for only seven years or so and nowadays Dalian doesn't show a single clue of past Russian presence. So please read and educate yourself before releasing blatant nonsense in public.

Last edited by jkmac; 01-04-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times
What is the percentage of Caucasians living in Vladivostok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe