U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 03:10 AM

1,800 posts, read 804,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuin View Post
Vladivostok is a European city located in Asia. The population is predominantly Russian and Ukrainian, they speak Russian and the predominant religion is Eastern Orthodox Christianity, that makes it European regardless of it being in Asia. As previously stated, it is the legacy of colonialism. I'm Asian and never would I consider Vladivostok an "Asian" city other than by geography, nevertheless I think Vladivostok should be developed into an Asian economic hub and open-up to more Asian connectivity because it is literally the gateway to Europe for many Asians. It's less than a 2 hour flight from Tokyo, a major economic hub. The closest South-east Asian city is Manila which is a 5 hour flight. They had chartered flights (special plane routes) for the APEC 2012 Summit and I was honestly surprised to learn how close Vladivostok was to many Asian cities.

Most Asians are completely unaware of Vladivostok and just how close Russia really is for many Asian countries. They should start teaching more about Russia in Asian countries, especially Vladivostok. Asians often forget about Russia.
There are plenty of nonstop flights to western Europe from Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, among many others.

Geographically, Vladivostok isn't much closer to western Europe than Tokyo.

Politically, Russia is ostracized by the free world.

Economically, Vladivostok isn't Hong Kong/Singapore. It doesn't have the potential to be the gateway to Europe.

In fact, Russia is practically a flyover country between Western Europe and East Asia. Had not for the low cost of Aeroflot, everyone would opt for a nonstop flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,211,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
There are plenty of nonstop flights to western Europe from Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, among many others.

Geographically, Vladivostok isn't much closer to western Europe than Tokyo.

Politically, Russia is ostracized by the free world.

Economically, Vladivostok isn't Hong Kong/Singapore. It doesn't have the potential to be the gateway to Europe.

In fact, Russia is practically a flyover country between Western Europe and East Asia. Had not for the low cost of Aeroflot, everyone would opt for a nonstop flight.
What does economics and politics have to do with categorizing a place as European or not? Is Moldova not European because it's a poor country or is Belarus not European because it's only had one president for the past 28 years?

Anyway Vladivostok architecturally and demographically looks very European

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1176...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1166...thumbfov%3D100

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1168...thumbfov%3D100

but then I suppose the same can be said about new world cities such as Quebec.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8132...thumbfov%3D100

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8145...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8106...thumbfov%3D100

Also Vladivostok is very close to east Asia, which is why it's considered as a gateway, if an Asian person wants to experience a bit of Europe, but doesn't have the money or time to go and fly to Europe they can spend a weekend in Vladivostok. Just like many Americans considered Quebec to be a cheaper alternative to Europe.

Last edited by grega94; 07-30-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 AM

78,541 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
is Belarus not European because it's only had one president for the past 28 years?
lol

Are you implying, that anyplace with a "strongman"-type President who clings to power is disqualified from being "European"? What are they, then--extensions of Mongolia?

ROFL!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I always enjoy your posts, grega.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:32 AM

15,029 posts, read 13,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I"m not sure what the architecture style has to do with whether an eastern city is "European" or "Asian".

Does the fact that Khabarovsk has a high percentage of Asiatic residents from the Amur nationalities qualify it as an Asian city, while Vladivostok's lower percentage of local Indigenous residents makes it a "European" city?

How are we defining "Asian" when it comes to cities?
The architecture reflects the style of people who build the city and are in control of it.

This is what Asian cities look like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=asia...iw=820&bih=484

And that's what Khabarovsk looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyKOJq_nTw

I'd say not much different from the rest of Russian cities.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,211,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The architecture reflects the style of people who build the city and are in control of it.

This is what Asian cities look like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=asia...iw=820&bih=484

And that's what Khabarovsk looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyKOJq_nTw

I'd say not much different from the rest of Russian cities.
so what about colonial cities in the new world with European architecture and city layout such as Quebec city, would those be also considered European?

Old 07-30-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Well, somebody had better tell Beijing that some of China's cities are "European", then. Shanghai, and others, have so much modern architecture, no one would take them to be Asian. Your own examples that you posted (in the link) demonstrate that.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
so what about colonial cities in the new world with European architecture and city layout such as Quebec city, would those be also considered European?
Technically speaking - yes.
If they were built by European settlers.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Well, somebody had better tell Beijing that some of China's cities are "European", then. Shanghai, and others, have so much modern architecture, no one would take them to be Asian. Your own examples that you posted (in the link) demonstrate that.
No, it only means that Asians BORROWED the idea of European architecture in order to accommodate their ever-growing population, and the difference of course is easy to spot in this case.
Europeans intended sky-scrapers first of all for business districts, the Asians use them for residential quarters, with much higher density than Europeans do. ( That's one of the distinct features of Asian cities.)
And of course away from business districts European cities are still full of buildings with European architecture, whereas Asian cities have either slams along with skyscrapers, or something like that; ( which is typical Asian architecture.)

Old 07-30-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
No, it only means that Asians BORROWED the idea of European architecture in order to accommodate their ever-growing population, and the difference of course is easy to spot in this case.
Europeans intended sky-scrapers first of all for business districts, the Asians use them for residential quarters, with much higher density than Europeans do. ( That's one of the distinct features of Asian cities.)
And of course away from business districts European cities are still full of buildings with European architecture, whereas Asian cities have either slams along with skyscrapers, or something like that; ( which is typical Asian architecture.)
China's been tearing down all their old districts and traditional architecture, though.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
China's been tearing down all their old districts and traditional architecture, though.
Prolly.
But still, the density of their sky-scrapers is a dead give-away of a non-European city. ( Not to mention the absence of old European architecture, even if the Chinese destroy their own old one.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe