U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:44 AM

15,536 posts, read 13,528,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Almaty is another Russian colonial city founded in 1854, however unlike Vladivostok, only 33% of the population is Russian and 51% is Kazakh. So I would say that Almaty is more Asian than European.
Sitting in Almaty, I feel way more connected to Europe than Asia. Kazakhs ere greatly influenced by Russians, their demeanor, dress, actions are a lot closer to Europe than a stereotypical Asian. I would say it is much closer to being a European city than an Asian one. Tokyo feels Asian, Bangkok feels Asian, Almaty feels European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Is Vladivostok underdeveloped in terms of infrastructure compared to other European cities?
I think it is similar. It has clean water, toilets that flush normally, roads, electricity, Internet, cell service. Maybe compare it to Athens or something more so than London, but that is on par with many Russian cities. I say the only thing lacking, which is endemic to Russia, is quality medical service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 01:49 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,579,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
The city is geographically Asian as it is located in east of Asia. However, culturally it is European as it is Russian.
I agree here! I find it interesting how the Russian Far East from the Amur southwards has a monsoon-influenced climate, and a biosphere (which ecologists call "Ussuriland") that blends both the Siberian Taiga and the monsoon-fed forests of East Asia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe