Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I dunno...
By the same token, would you consider Vancouver with its China town and sizable Oriental population a mixed Asian/European city?
I think you can absolutely say San Francisco is mixed Asian/"European" (let's all agree "European" means Euro-American/Canadian for this bit of the discussion, and not get into a fight about it) city. As for Khabarovsk and Vladivostok, I generally don't notice this sort of thing, but when I took a small group to Khabarovsk, they immediately noticed that there were a lot of Asians. Does that mean the city is Asian? I don't know. Is Ulan Ude Russian, just because Russians built it? There are a couple of Asian-style buildings there, but even the Buryats don't know what Americans are talking about when we enthuse about these architectural gems, and suggest the city build on the Asian theme. Sometimes it takes an outsider to point out the obvious.

I think what Jeff is saying is that he finds Vlad to have a more Asian feel than cities in Western Russia. This is a reasonable statement. Does that mean it's an "Asian city"? We haven't defined the criteria for what qualifies as an "Asian city". Maybe the OP should do that for us, that might be helpful. But I'm intrigued by what Jeff describes as the remnants of a Chinatown there. I'd like to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,689 times
Quote:
I dunno...
By the same token, would you consider Vancouver with its China town and sizable Oriental population a mixed Asian/European city?
The question is whether or not Asians have influenced Vladivostok. I say they have.
I would also say that, yes, Asians have influenced Vancouver, San Francisco, and most every large metro area in the US. The difference is: I'm not afraid to recognize this influence.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Sigh.
I said near Sukhanova, not on it.
I'll find you the addresses, give me some time.
LOL!! Thanks for the first comic relief of my day. I believe you, Jeff. ^_^ Suddenly, I want to go back to Vladivostok to take a tour of the old Chinese quarter.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
ROL, do you actually think Jeff can't tell the difference between an ordinary apartment block, and Asian-influenced architecture? The fact that you're somehow offended by his observation says a lot.
I'm puzzled, not offended. I know perfectly well that all architecture in Vladivostok, where I've spent 30 years, is Russian. He is probably confused by "Imperial" architecture looking very different from "Soviet".

I wouldn't mind at all, if, say, Sportivnaya, where a lot of temporary Chinese immigrants live, looked like a China town. But it's not. And downtown looks even less Chinese.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Interesting, relevant, read:
The Chinese in Russia's Far East

I can't find the photos of the buildings I was looking for on Yandex or Google. Next time I'm in Vladivostok I'll be sure to take some and post them here :-)
Russiaonline surely could find them if he wanted to and asked around. They are not far from the center. We did have to look a bit, but they're there.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
I'm puzzled, not offended. I know perfectly well that all architecture in Vladivostok, where I've spent 30 years, is Russian. He is probably confused by "Imperial" architecture looking very different from "Soviet".

I wouldn't mind at all, if, say, Sportivnaya, where a lot of temporary Chinese immigrants live, looked like a China town. But it's not. And downtown looks even less Chinese.
It's nestled back, russiaonline, you can't see it from, say, Svetlanskaya. Like I said, I'll keep searching for pics!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
It's nestled back, russiaonline, you can't see it from, say, Svetlanskaya. Like I said, I'll keep searching for pics!
By the description, it sounds like it's a small neighborhood of the sort that are being destroyed in Beijing, to make room for new development. The maze of old alleyways with private homes, and so forth. That should be saved, in Vladivostok, as an historic and architectural landmark.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:04 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
The question is whether or not Asians have influenced Vladivostok. I say they have.
I would also say that, yes, Asians have influenced Vancouver, San Francisco, and most every large metro area in the US. The difference is: I'm not afraid to recognize this influence.
I thought that the name of this thread was "Is Vladivostok a European or Asian cities?"
By your approach (based on influence,) San-Francisco is Asian city, and so is Vancouver.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I thought that the name of this thread was "Is Vladivostok a European or Asian cities?"
By your approach (based on influence,) San-Francisco is Asian city, and so is Vancouver.
Well, it melded into "how much influence has Asian culture had on Vladivostok", so I went with it.
I would say it's neither wholly Asian nor wholly European, to get back on track

Old 10-12-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Still waiting to hear from the OP on this one. Maybe, in the meantime, we can agree that Vladivostok is "semi-Asian"?

It seems a little absurd to say that a city in N America is "asian", even though I think there are people who would argue that San Francisco could fit the bill. (Vancouver's Asian influence is more recent, and is largely a result of the transfer of Hong Kong to the PRC, as I understand.) But Vladivostok actually IS in Asia. Though the Asian influence there is probably less than the Asian influence in San Francisco.

How much economic influence does Asia have in Vladivostok? The economic and political influence of local Asians in San Francisco is fairly strong, I'm told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe