U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM

14,974 posts, read 13,551,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Why? There is more Russia in Asia than in Europe.
We are not talking about geography here.
If we were, you must be a Cherokee Indian or Bigfoot for all I know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 09:05 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,725,460 times
Suggesting Vladivostok is a part of Europe would be the same as suggesting the Falkland Islands is part of Europe. They are not geographically in Europe. The people in Vladivostok consider themselves as Russian and the people of the Falkland Islands consider themselves as British citizens.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, I get it. THOSE Asians. From the former USSR. I wasn't sure if you were talking about Chinese, or about Siberians, or what. I forgot there are a lot of Central Asians working in Moscow.
Yes, those Asians.
I don't want them to be in Moscow ( but then again I don't want Moscow to be overblown megalopolis, period) and unlike New Russians I consider abandonment of Central Asia and leaving people there in economic desperation unacceptable.
They were NEVER flooding Moscow when their economy was staying afloat and they were NEVER causing any problems being muslims, unlike North Caucasians.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM

2,032 posts, read 2,407,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is the racism in Russia still bad? Are there skinheads in Vladivostok?
Skinheads exist, sure. But I can't say that they're a real problem there. I know they have been a problem in the west of the country (particularly St Petersburg), but either the authorities have cracked down or you don't hear as much of them as you used to in the past. Therefore I would have to say that the situation is improving on this front.
There is some racism, no doubt. But I think it has more to do with the fact that there are many young, unemployed, underemployed (or unemployable) men who are living in tough conditions. It's the whole blame game. Does your life suck? No problem, blame (insert race here). Basically, they are like the skinheads and neo-nazis here in the States in that respect. As the Russian economy improves, I suppose there will be less and less overt signs of racism/neo-nationalism/skinheads and the like.
I also think that some Russians can be seen as racists due to the fact that they are more likely to say something "un-PC" than in the US. I am sure there are plenty of racists in the US who hide it because they know they will create problems for themselves if they don't. In Russia, this external social pressure to suppress such opinions publicly is noticeably lessened. I heard a great many racist comments (mostly towards the Chinese, but a few towards me, generally by drunken idiots) while I was there, but I only remember another Russian taking umbrage to such opinions once or twice (I remember being impressed and hopeful).
There is also much anti-semitism in Russia, but that's nothing new.
I can say for certain that I faced much more racism in Ukraine than I did in Russia. I was actually jumped by a bunch of drunks (who used the "N" word; probably the only English they knew) and still have the scar on my face as a quaint memorial

Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Suggesting Vladivostok is a part of Europe would be the same as suggesting the Falkland Islands is part of Europe. They are not geographically in Europe. The people in Vladivostok consider themselves as Russian and the people of the Falkland Islands consider themselves as British citizens.
Russians are of European origin, and since it's their city, it would be incorrect to label Vladivostok as "Asian" city.
No one is trying to include Vladivostok in Europe geographically speaking, Vladivostok is European city in cultural sense of it.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 PM

78,025 posts, read 69,950,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, those Asians.
I don't want them to be in Moscow ( but then again I don't want Moscow to be overblown megalopolis, period) and unlike New Russians I consider abandonment of Central Asia and leaving people there in economic desperation unacceptable.
They were NEVER flooding Moscow when their economy was staying afloat and they were NEVER causing any problems being muslims, unlike North Caucasians.
True. But they wanted independence. Economic collapse is the price they paid for it. Doesn't say much for independence, does it? This is why Yakutia voted against independence in 1990. They decided instead to pursue economic development full speed ahead, and wait until they had a strong economy before peeling off from Russia. As you can see, it didn't work out as planned.

Political independence without economic independence isn't much of an independence. Tends to lead to neo-colonialism.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Russians are of European origin, and since it's their city, it would be incorrect to label Vladivostok as "Asian" city.
No one is trying to include Vladivostok in Europe geographically speaking, Vladivostok is European city in cultural sense of it.
Well most people of Vladivostok would be of ethnic Russian European origin yet it is not a European city. Sure it has the cultural influences with Western Russia and the political links with it. It is culturally Russian but it still is a Asian city.

In addition with Israel most of the people have families that were originally from Europe and there is nearly a million people from Russia that immigrated there. However Israel is not a European country.

In my country Australia most of the people of the cities are of European origin still yet I have not heard of Australian regarding their cities as European cities.

Last edited by other99; 10-12-2012 at 11:29 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 11:19 PM

78,025 posts, read 69,950,573 times
Quote:
Well most people of Vladivostok would be of ethnic Russian European origin yet it is not a European city. Sure it has the cultural influences with Western Russia and the political links with it. It may be culturally Russian but it still is a Asian city.
The OP has never returned to define his terms, and explain the classification criteria for "Asian" or "European" city. It's like he tossed us this bone to fight over, and walked away. Maybe he's watching from behind a window in a safe room. Maybe it's all a diabolical psychological experiment he's doing on us. lol!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP has never returned to define his terms, and explain the classification criteria for "Asian" or "European" city. It's like he tossed us this bone to fight over, and walked away. Maybe he's watching from behind a window in a safe room. Maybe it's all a diabolical psychological experiment he's doing on us. lol!
I guess you are right there. There was not been a accurate description on what makes a city a Asian or European city by the OP.

Anyway for all I know even Singapore, Penang, Tel Aviv, Mumbai, Chenani, Jakarta, Manila, Hong Kong and Harbin were founded by people from European countries such as UK, Poland, Spain, Netherlands and former Russian Empire. They could be European in the cultural sense. In addition English is one of the official languages of Manila, Singapore, Tel Aviv, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Chenai and Penang. So they could be even considered having certain European cultures.

Last edited by other99; 10-12-2012 at 11:48 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Well most people of Vladivostok would be of ethnic Russian European origin yet it is not a European city. Sure it has the cultural influences with Western Russia and the political links with it. It is culturally Russian but it still is a Asian city.

In addition with Israel most of the people have families that were originally from Europe and there is nearly a million people from Russia that immigrated there. However Israel is not a European country.

In my country Australia most of the people of the cities are of European origin still yet I have not heard of Australian regarding their cities as European cities.
Very well.
Then Australian cities are Asian.
I hope you feel better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe