U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,699,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You live in Finland?
Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM

21,938 posts, read 23,506,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Absolutely, but why not accept that the best model is Finnish (or whatever it is), and not US?

Such position can only do good, isn't it? But geniuses in Russian government seem to try to follow US model...
Well, the US model would then be multiple models because the US has a huge amount of variation. Do you mean that the Russian government is also trying to go for large amounts of variation as well?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM

8,583 posts, read 8,499,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, the US model would then be multiple models because the US has a huge amount of variation. Do you mean that the Russian government is also trying to go for large amounts of variation as well?

Yes, What exactly is the US model???I live here and I don't know what the real model is in the US. There are many many ways of doing things......(not that I'm the brighest crayon in the box)

Old 10-24-2012, 09:33 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,699,123 times
Quote:
Well, the US model would then be multiple models because the US has a huge amount of variation.
That is US education system.

Quote:
Do you mean that the Russian government is also trying to go for large amounts of variation as well?
To less fundamental education. At least that's what many people are afraid of.

Last edited by russiaonline; 10-24-2012 at 09:43 AM..

Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 AM

78,025 posts, read 69,950,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
To less fundamental education. At least that's what many people are afraid of.
"Fundamental" in the context of education means different things to different people. In the US, this has been reduced to reading and arithmetic, and the system doesn't even accomplish those goals well. Russia excels in art education. The US has never had art education. Art classes for kids were nothing more than babysitting, no instruction at all.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
There is a US model, that contrasts sharply with the European model. The US model is to teach an entire subject in one semester, or one year. For example: biology, or trigonometry. Students focus only on about 4 core subjects per semester. The European model, which tends to be used world-wide, is to spread all subjects out over years (and cover more ground), so students have 7 or 8 subjects per semester, but they're not covered every day, they're integrated more gradually into a weekly schedule. Instead of blitzing biology in one year and then going on to a year of chemistry, they get it spread out over several years, along with chemistry, for example. World history is a required subject, whereas US generally don't offer it, or not as a requirement, but as an elective. The European model provides a more well-rounded education.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM

14,972 posts, read 13,551,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There is a US model, that contrasts sharply with the European model. The US model is to teach an entire subject in one semester, or one year. For example: biology, or trigonometry. Students focus only on about 4 core subjects per semester. The European model, which tends to be used world-wide, is to spread all subjects out over years (and cover more ground), so students have 7 or 8 subjects per semester, but they're not covered every day, they're integrated more gradually into a weekly schedule. Instead of blitzing biology in one year and then going on to a year of chemistry, they get it spread out over several years, along with chemistry, for example. World history is a required subject, whereas US generally don't offer it, or not as a requirement, but as an elective. The European model provides a more well-rounded education.
Not to add "and develops the abstract thinking in children much better."

Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Not to add "and develops the abstract thinking in children much better."
Who, Europe? I don't know, but Russian educators who have sent kids to the US on exchanges have told me that the US does do this well. Analytical thinking. I suppose it depends on the quality of the school.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 AM

3,101 posts, read 4,539,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who, Europe? I don't know, but Russian educators who have sent kids to the US on exchanges have told me that the US does do this well. Analytical thinking. I suppose it depends on the quality of the school.
Maybe, but my 2 friends went to America in Montana and New York, on an exchange program. At my school, it was just average students in America, it is believed that they child genius they have identified in the special classes. But as far as I know in America there is no common program that works all over the country, in contrast to Russia. Widely be able to think - let knowledge of different subjects (science), which is the Soviet system of education. European and American is a highly specialized, as well as the profession, both in the ground.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 AM

3,101 posts, read 4,539,161 times
As for the education, I think any educated person should know at least some basic sciences, such as history, sociology, political science, geography, physics. Otherwise people are narrow - thoughts and these people can very easily manage to please governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or