Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You don't but that's not the point. The point is that these "evil corporations" are public meaning they are being owned by people like you and me.
I'm still not sure what the point is here, unless Vic (etc.) is saying that the shareholders have some responsibility. But that's not true. When shareholders have tried to influence the policies of some of these oil corporations, and such, the shareholders' meetings are either suddenly drawn to a close, or they're tightly orchestrated so as not to allow dissent. The shareholders really don't have much, if any, power. Only the illusion of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Interestingly, first patented as a treatment for nervous disorders, "Coca-Cola" has removed from stores and pharmacies gained worldwide popularity. But in the real world of coca cola, you become irritable or lethargic.
Coca-cola was popular in the beginning because it had real cocaine in it.
oops. Needless to say, that didn't work out. They changed the formula.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Besides small arms and ammunition?
Yes. Like cars, foodstuffs, according to Grey Karast, it exports some electronics, handicrafts traditional to various nationalities (gift items), contemporary art, there's a lot of potential. Oh well.

Different thread.

So, you were saying, Jeff? Minnesota does seem to have remarkably nice schools. I've never seen schools like that anywhere else. Good for MN. It must have a strong tax base.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. Like cars, foodstuffs, according to Grey Karast, it exports some electronics, handicrafts traditional to various nationalities (gift items), contemporary art, there's a lot of potential. Oh well.

Different thread.

So, you were saying, Jeff? Minnesota does seem to have remarkably nice schools. I've never seen schools like that anywhere else. Good for MN. It must have a strong tax base.
Now there is something I do know about! Our school district ( in MN) has @1800 property tax paying households. We are shareing (depending on property values) a recent 19 million dollar rennovation to our school. Unforunantly the more ag land you own the more taxes you pay.....

Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Now there is something I do know about! Our school district ( in MN) has @1800 property tax paying households. We are shareing (depending on property values) a recent 19 million dollar rennovation to our school. Unforunantly the more ag land you own the more taxes you pay.....
Both CA and WA had a taxpayer revolt that rolled back prop'ty taxes, so the schools there are nothing to write home about, except the few in wealthy districts. Actually, the schools weren't that great even before the revolts. NM is poverty-stricken, so no fancy schools here, either. But the Finns say it's not the buildings that are important, it's the quality of teachers. Is MN fairly homogeneous, except for the Native communities and the Tibetans?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Both CA and WA had a taxpayer revolt that rolled back prop'ty taxes, so the schools there are nothing to write home about, except the few in wealthy districts. Actually, the schools weren't that great even before the revolts. NM is poverty-stricken, so no fancy schools here, either. But the Finns say it's not the buildings that are important, it's the quality of teachers. Is MN fairly homogeneous, except for the Native communities and the Tibetans?
Trust me! the nice new building isn't doing anything to help my Daughters education

Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Finns are doing a good job and are an exemplar model, but it's weird to measure it up to the US because the US has huge internal variations from county to county and state to state. The US also has a huge amount of new immigrant populations which for various reasons such as being new to the English language affects graduation rates and test scores.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Finns are doing a good job and are an exemplar model, but it's weird to measure it up to the US because the US has huge internal variations from county to county and state to state. The US also has a huge amount of new immigrant populations which for various reasons such as being new to the English language affects graduation rates and test scores.
Absolutely, but why not accept that the best model is Finnish (or whatever it is), and not US?

Such position can only do good, isn't it? But geniuses in Russian government seem to try to follow US model...

Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Only as an act of a suicide... I don't see that as acceptable, let alone good. Even parents can't beat their kids.

Russian criminal law also prohibits kids' "moral suffering" - that's controversial, but it's not used in practice to limit parents freedom.

But it's also not good, when a teacher can't force a misbehaving kid out of the classroom. Though, in Russia kids comply, when asked to leave.
You can't spank your kids? what about time out, stand in the corner, go to room without supper? no x-box for a week etc.etc.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Quote:
You can't spank your kids? what about time out, stand in the corner, go to room without supper? no x-box for a week etc.etc.
No xbox is fine - spanking, corner, and denying food are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe