Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Are you trying to say that America plays a negative role in the world now????
But, I thought if we elected Obama the whole world would love us now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 04:29 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If the world really respected and wanted a minority presidents thay could have a Jewish president of Germany or Basque president of Spain... Is that happening? No. Bu they sure like it when we do it.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Are you trying to say that America plays a negative role in the world now????
Fact of the matter is, America sometimes plays a positive role and sometimes a negative role. Other countries sort of resented America having unchallenged hegemony over the earth as sole superpower with almost unlimited ability to promote their national agenda. But there was and is no other alternative to America in international relations at this time, things only happen when America gets on board. What the world really wants from America is leadership, but not domination. It's been 50/50 so far in international relations, but with the rise of China and the relative decline of US power I think we'll see the US looking at a new strategy and opinions about the USA will gradually become more positive as a result. You just can't govern like emperor in that environment and you have to be more of a leader who works with other governments, and I think other governments are quite willing to work with the US given how the status quo social order really is benefiting everyone (including China, a country that's obviously a fan of most aspects of the world order the US has established).

Old 10-20-2012, 06:29 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Not really.
The change of presidents won't do much, because America has lost her cutting edge in spirit and ideals overall. The blond and beautiful young girl with promising future is turning into middle-aged woman, who doesn't care much about anything else but her money and corporations, because that's what supposedly can keep her in power.
The key to her success was the existence of someone like Russia in the S.U capacity - that's what shaped and defined America's appeal, but that train is gone, and not without America's fault.
It takes more than big cars and money to be loved by world - sorry.

Last edited by erasure; 10-20-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Not really.
The change of presidents won't do much, because America has lost her cutting edge in spirit and ideals overall. The blond and beautiful young girl with promising future is turning into middle-aged woman, who doesn't care much about anything else but her money and corporations, because that's what supposedly can keep her in power.
The key to her success was the existence of someone like Russia in the S.U capacity - that's what shaped and defined America's appeal, but that train is gone, and not without America's fault.
But but...Obama. But, he's black! Surely that's good enough reason to love us again? After all look how the people fell on their faces worshipping him when he toured Germany

Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
No my Russian friend. America never needed Soviet Union to be succesful or appealing. American industrial power was built well before Soviet Union entered the scene. Quite the opposite: Soviet Union was a retardand keeping America unnecesary involved in European and Asian politics.
Its time for America to do what it does best: focus on itself.

Last edited by rebel12; 10-20-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
But but...Obama. But, he's black! Surely that's good enough reason to love us again?
Apparently not, although it doesn't hurt to try...

Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
No my Russian friend. American never needed Soviet Union to be succesful or appealing. American industrial power was built well before Soviet Union entered the scene.
What it has got to do with industrial power?
The world must love America because it's the "industrial power?"
What happened to England or Germany that were industrial powers as well?
Were they not supposed to be loved by the world?

Quote:
Soviet Union was a retardand keeping America unncecesary involved in European and Asian politics.
In Russian politics as well by the way - think American invasion in Russia in 1918; was it Russian initiative to "unnecessary keep America involved" in her affairs?

Quote:
Its time for America to do what it does best: focus on itself.
As in...untangling her dependency on China or Saudi oil?
How that "focusing on oneself" exactly is going to work in the "age of globalization," that America initiated herself?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
What it has got to do with industrial power?
The world must love America because it's the "industrial power?"
What happened to England or Germany that were industrial powers as well?
Were they not supposed to be loved by the world?
Which country in the world has ever been loved by any other country???
Do you think that the objective? LOL
We dont need anybody to love us. Respect is enough and this is where industrial power comes into play.

Quote:
In Russian politics as well by the way - think American invasion in Russia in 1918; was it Russian initiative to "unnecessary keep America involved" in her affairs?
There was no American invasion. Not just the US but about 14 countries were trying to help Russia's armed forces fight the Red Plague. Unfortunately they did not succeed and that's why for over 60 years civil liberties, freedom or democracy was something that Russians could only read about in smuggled from the West books.

Quote:
As in...untangling her dependency on China or Saudi oil?
How that "focusing on oneself" exactly is going to work in the "age of globalization," that America initiated herself?
No country in the world is 100% selfsufficient. We need resources from around the world. It does not mean that our concern should be development of democracy in Iraq or Russia.

Last edited by rebel12; 10-20-2012 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
America is really invested in being politically correct, right down to the "person on the street" level. (I can understand why a public person needs to be more restrained in this area). This is equated with being open and liberal, yet most liberal Americans really aren't. They tend to just hang around other liberals in their same socioeconomic/demographic niche and have a NIMBY (not in my back yard) attitude.

My observation from many trips to Europe, interacting with them, and hearing their opinions is that they are nowhere near as "politically correct." They stereotype effortlessly. They can size up what country others are from based on a quick study. I was on a high-speed train and someone from another country was arguing with the conductor about a fare evasion issue, and the lady seated in front of me makes a smart-ass, but probably accurate, assessment of how this "situation" is common with people hailing from that "other" area Yet, they have this world weary, seen it all, "live and let live" outlook on what is going on around them. Lately, there have been flare-ups of anger, particularly in places like Greece which is besieged by problems.

Do you agree with this observation about Europe and Europeans, that of being LESS "politically correct" and MORE tolerant at the same time, than the average American/Canadian, for example?
No. I do not believe that Europeans in general are more tolerant. My gosh, look at the brouhaha over Muslim attire in France and minarets in Switzerland. Banning Muslim attire in a US public school, or banning the building of a minaret would not be mainstream in the US at all. Not to say it wouldn't happen, but it would be an exception rather than the rule.

I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong, just stating a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe