Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The Spaniards also say that the Portuguese are a depressing people But then again, the Spaniards are probably the most lively and loudest people in Europe, it's hard to compete with them
I haven't heard that. What I have heard is a few Spanish speakers refer to the Portuguese language as "Espanol mal hablado," or "Spanish badly spoken." The Spaniards are livelier and louder than the Italians? That would be an interesting comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Well, being a quiet person myself, both Spaniards and Italians get on my nerves

Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 PM

22 posts, read 41,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I haven't heard that. What I have heard is a few Spanish speakers refer to the Portuguese language as "Espanol mal hablado," or "Spanish badly spoken." The Spaniards are livelier and louder than the Italians? That would be an interesting comparison.

The Italians are livelier than the Spaniards and the Portuguese combined in my experience. Northern Italians being an exception.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer80 View Post
The Italians are livelier than the Spaniards and the Portuguese combined in my experience. Northern Italians being an exception.
Exactly what I was thinking, and I like it that way!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM

26 posts, read 78,955 times
I've never lived there, only visited a few times. My dad is from there. I definitely agree with the somber mentality of the Portuguese, and their friendliness. When I was there last, I got terribly sick and had quite a few problems with car and cabin rental--I was a mess, with two little boys in tow. There was a girl at the car shop who looked me in the eyes, put her hand on my shoulder and said it was going to be alright. I have never experienced this from a stranger before, but then I've only lived in places like the Midwest and Sweden.

I did not like the Algarve coastal strip at all. But just up the mountains, it's real nice. I stayed in Silves and I found the people there quite agreeable and the town itself beautiful and cozy.

Yeah, the people are poor and many are jobless, but there's also a significant portion who have never belonged to the regular job market. It's still a little old world there, outside of the large cities and towns.

I've definitely met some lively Portuguese, but I don't know how they compare to the Spaniards as I've never been to Spain.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,771 times
I would say that most of the information here is accurate, except the part of the food being bland. I completely disagree with this as I believe that people who eat this "bland" food are probably in better health conditions (cholesterol etc.) than many British or Americans precisely because they do not over condiment food to the point where it is irrelevant if you're having meat or fish and the only thing that may differ them is their texture. However, if you're used to eating microaved heated curry every other night, I understand how a fresh grilled fish might not seem like actual food. Portugal has a gastronomy that goes beyond grilled fish and vegetables. Not only does it boast of plenty of variety but the Portuguese have been cooking for a lot longer than the American's began flipping their burgers and probably a lot better than the British. There must be a reason why the UK has adopted Indian curry as their new national dish.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
True. I mean, one should only eat when one is hungry. And when hungry, you will enjoy simple staple foods such as rice, beans, potatoes, bread, etc.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:02 PM

Portuguese dishes, and their presentation, in a typical mid-line Portuguese restaurant are not inspiring. However, the ingredients are good and fresh. You can't argue with fresh fish, vegetables, and rice/potatoes. It's a little bland, but if you have a bland taste palette, like I do, it's just fine. The only thing that makes it less healthy is that the dessert options in these restaurants almost always include mousse.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I have never been to Portugal, but I would like to know what it's like to live there. I know a little bit of Portuguese(and planning to learn more). I know of some of the culture in Portugal, and I know it differs considerably from Brazil. However, I have never lived there.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:13 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Gastronomy is actually one of the best points about Portugal, you can eat very well for a cheap price, also people are wellcoming and it's easy to use the transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe