Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:57 AM

26,721 posts, read 22,292,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
No, here on the Europe forum. Most of it got deleted, because I reported it.
Sorry I don't remember which ones of my posts exactly were deleted and in connection with what they were posted here in THIS section to begin with. If I could see them now, it would have been easier to talk about them.

Quote:
So, yeah. You are usually rather quick to point out that Austrians are Germans.
You know what's ironic? That you take it almost as an offense, but I see it as a rather positive thing. A compliment sort of))) Because I see many artistic things in Austria - music, architecture, as a continuity of Germany in this respect.

Quote:
And you usually mention Hitler at some point.
I wish you could point me more at that "usually at some point."
Because I bring Hitler in conversation from time to time here ( in this section, not in History - there it's a different matter) because he and his theories are a very interesting subject for me, put in a biblical context. It's more of a "theoretical thing," so I am sorry if it keeps on coming across to you as some kind of a personal attack against Germans. It's really not.
In fact, even in History section the main reason why I spent quite some time on a subject of the WWII there, was not "Germans" but Americans - well some of them, that have a very skewed point of view on WWII, which is pissing me off sometimes to be honest.
Now regarding that excerpt that you quoted - it sounds awfully interesting; I mean the subject in connection to which I posted it all, and I wish I could remember what it was all about exactly. But my guess would be, that it was about the intricate connections between the European nations and who supports whom/under what circumstances ( and WHY.) I see now however what you are pointing at, and how it might COME ACROSS to someone that can't follow all the theoretical schemes in my head, or read my thoughts on gazillion of matters, because obviously my jokes or brisk statements can't always reflect them in a proper way.
No Viribusunitis, now when you called me on it - I can make myself clear; I see Austrian connection to Germany as a very positive thing ( I already explained why.) Overall I regard Germans very highly, because they possess a number of *features,* that I value big time.
The war is a totally different matter - sorry again that my posts were coming across as offensive to you; they really were not meant to.
AFP got upset with me lately too - I guess it's not always easy to *read* people that you don't know in person, to figure out what to take seriously and what's not.

Good night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 03:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,318,865 times
I think the cultural and dialect differences between Southern Germans and Austrians are smaller than between Southern Germans and Northern Germans, you have different dialects in Austria too.

Germany and Austria are different countries for historical reasons, there is little ethnic difference between both countries, you could compare it to the US and Canada. Two countries for historical reasons but little ethnic difference between them (I suppose).

Old 08-07-2016, 12:44 PM

8,848 posts, read 8,356,988 times
I guess it's quite common for people from big countries to assume small countries are part of them solely based on a shared/similar language or ethinicity, which is very annoying, and basically means that you are a bunch of ****ing as$holes.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:40 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,577,624 times
One of my sons married a German girl and has lived there for a long time.
I was visiting them once, and went into the lounge where they were watching TV.
There was a movie on, and it had German subtitles, but to my ear, they were talking German in the movie.
I asked why the subtitles if the actors were speaking German, and was told that it was an Austrian movie, and there were enough subtle differences in the way Austrians spoke German to necessitate the subtitles.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
One of my sons married a German girl and has lived there for a long time.
I was visiting them once, and went into the lounge where they were watching TV.
There was a movie on, and it had German subtitles, but to my ear, they were talking German in the movie.
I asked why the subtitles if the actors were speaking German, and was told that it was an Austrian movie, and there were enough subtle differences in the way Austrians spoke German to necessitate the subtitles.
I suspect that some of Southern German dialects need the subtitles in "proper German" as well)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZG8Nz4FxwI

This explains a thing or two I guess...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_CbYxaYPJw

Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I think the cultural and dialect differences between Southern Germans and Austrians are smaller than between Southern Germans and Northern Germans, you have different dialects in Austria too.

Germany and Austria are different countries for historical reasons, there is little ethnic difference between both countries, you could compare it to the US and Canada. Two countries for historical reasons but little ethnic difference between them (I suppose).
That was my impression overall.
In fact now when I think about it, I probably could live in Austria.
In Germany - not so much.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:52 PM

36,931 posts, read 38,901,290 times
Is there a standard German taught throughout primary schools in Germany or does that shift based on what the most popular local dialect is? Is there one for Austria as well? If both Austria and Germany have a "standard" German taught in primary schools, are these standards the same or do they change quite a bit? Also, does "standard" German in Germany strongly influence "standard" German in Austria given how much larger the entertainment and media industry of Germany is than it is in Austria?

Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM

1,529 posts, read 909,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Education is the key to success. A European history class or classes might help you. I don't have the time to break it down to you.
Jawohl Herr Lehrer! Just realized I forgot to add one of these

Old 08-11-2016, 08:51 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,312,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is there a standard German taught throughout primary schools in Germany or does that shift based on what the most popular local dialect is? Is there one for Austria as well? If both Austria and Germany have a "standard" German taught in primary schools, are these standards the same or do they change quite a bit? Also, does "standard" German in Germany strongly influence "standard" German in Austria given how much larger the entertainment and media industry of Germany is than it is in Austria?
There is German, Swiss and Austrian Standard German. There are differences in vocabulary, grammar, spelling and pronunciation. Changes of the language are usually decided on by a joint commission of Austria, Germany and Switzerland. That's mostly done to keep the language interchangeable. They try to keep regional variations alive, though.

In terms of vocabulary, we use different culinary terms, our administrative/legal language is quite different and then there are some other random words that are different from German Standard German.

Examples:
Faschiertes, Kren and Marille instead of Hackfleisch, Meerrettich and Aprikose.
Legat, Jänner and bedingte Haft instead of Vermächtnis, Januar and (Haft auf) Bewährung.
Heuer, Polster, Sackerl and Gewand instead of dieses Jahr, Kissen, Tüte and Kleidung.

As for Grammar, there are also some quirks unique to Austrian German.

Examples:
The Fugen-S: We use Schweinsbraten, Adventkalender and Schadenersatz instead of Schweinebraten, Adventskalender and Schadensersatz.
Past simple: We don't really use preterite, but prefer perfect when speaking in past tense. "Ich bin gegangen" instead of "ich ging".
Konjunktiv 1: Expresses mistrust. "Er sagte, dass er in der Stadt gewesen ist." instead of "Er sagte, dass er in der Stadt gewesen sei."
Articles: We sometimes use different articles.

That said, the differences aren't that big. Germans might have troubles to understand some details of a menu at a restaurant, but that's about it. I guess that Austrians are more aware of the German variant than vice versa because of TV. We still prefer to use our variant in everyday life.

That said, Austrian Standard German is a fiction and varies a lot from spoken dialect.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:35 PM

66 posts, read 62,312 times
Austrians are austrians, not germans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe