U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM

44 posts, read 104,057 times

Advertisements

hello everyone. I am living in the US right now but I have the chance live in europe. Someone suggested Munich for germany. How is it? What are everyones thoughts? Please post thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 PM

5,312 posts, read 10,970,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller123 View Post
I am living in the US right now but I have the chance live in europe.
To do what ???

Are you a *big city* person ?
Do you speak German now ?
Will you have a job lined up ? (You speak of *live* there)

Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 PM

I am able to go to Munich Because of my job. The company has offered to post me there. I am a fan of large, world class cosmopolitan cities with diversity, and proximity to the mountains for skiing

How is...
the architecture
the food
the nightlife
the diversity
the transportation (public)
the recreational activites
the culture

I know a little German but language isn't an issue. I am a fast learner. I know french, english, russian, spanish, and hindi
(This is traveller123, (started the thread) I couldn't edit my message.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 PM

5,312 posts, read 10,970,483 times
Comments inserted

Quote:
I am able to go to Munich Because of my job. The company has offered to post me there. I am a fan of large, world class cosmopolitan cities with diversity, and proximity to the mountains for skiing

How is...

the architecture
There is old and new. Most of it interesting for those who are into that kind of stuff.
Keep in mind that you will not be living *just in Muenchen*. Lots of *old* stuff all around.

the food
Plenty of excellent *local* stuff, which is if you have an open mind, rather good. Lots of ethnic food except for Mexican. Not even Tex-Mex.

the nightlife
It is a University town, and many young people live there so depending on what you are looking for, plenty to do. If you are looking for more Classical cultural stuff, like concerts and plays, plenty to find there also.

the diversity
If you mean People, lots of immigrants and many of them form the southern Europe area and the Middle East, but not so that you will be run over by them.

Local City type, they have the underground and a very good bus system. Germans do not mind walking for 15-20 minutes to get somewhere ...
Intercity, there are trains, Muenchen also has an International airport.

Outdoors type - lots of hiking not too far away. In winter lots of skiing within 30 minutes.

the culture
A good mix of old *set in their ways* and a lot of modern trends. Muenchen is a center of Technology.

I know a little German but language isn't an issue. I am a fast learner. I know french, english, russian, spanish, and hindi
In that case, you will pick up German really fast !!

Last edited by irman; 10-25-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 AM

634 posts, read 1,489,589 times
Munich is the most expensivest city in germany. Hard to find an apartment. If you find one, the average rent is 13,35 Euro per squaremeter. You will need a very good paid job. But Munich is a very nice city! (btw. 13,35Euro per square meter does not include the side costs)

Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,051,826 times
Quote:

How is...
the architecture
the food
the nightlife
the diversity
the culture

You will find Munich a great city to live in. I envy you!

Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 AM

38,690 posts, read 88,875,297 times
Never been but I thought James May's description was pretty funny: "You go to Munich, you get a fantastic hotel, the place looks great, it's clean and tidy, the services are good, the food's great, the lot of it. You come home and you never think, 'I wish I was still in Munich.'"

Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,693,478 times
I was just in Munich again, like 3 weeks ago. It's the nicest city in Europe, imo. You can tell the city is wealthy. It shows. But, it's also very expensive. Public transportation is great. You can get anywhere by Ubahn or Sbahn.
30% of the people living there don't have German citizenship (I think that was the number), but most come from Europe or the Balkan. So if you're talking about "racial diversity", then it's not that diverse - compared to U.S. cities.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:47 AM

541 posts, read 1,233,662 times
How is...
the architecture
Mixed between Bavarian-, post-war- and modern architecture
the food
Bavarian and German cuisine (Schnitzel, Bear, Eisbein) and also international food options like in any other larger European city.
the nightlife
there is a decent amount of bars, clubs and concerts. However, the nightlife scene seems more "posh" and "consevative" compared to other cities. There are less "hipster" and "underground" clubs. More "upper-class".
the diversity
Munich has a high percentage of foreign residents and people of migrant background, however, in Germany it doesn't have the reputation for being multicultural or "diverse". Feels more "German" to me than the other larger cities like Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg etc.
Excellent public transportation system with bus, underground/subway and commuter train services
Alps, lakes, nature or urban activities. Depends on the season
the culture
Hard to describe. Not as Bavarian as the one might think; (its not all about Oktoberfest, Lederhosen or beer gardens) nevertheless it has its own unique vibe.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 PM

thank you everyone! Does anyone else have any input. Thanks Very Much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe