U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM

252 posts, read 494,711 times

Advertisements

I personally know a young black man who started out as an apprentice mechanic at a local BMW dealership in Germany and is now a design engineer at BMW HQ in Munich. Sure, that's anecdotal evidence rather than statistical but maybe it encourages you to come here and see for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 02:51 PM

541 posts, read 1,234,404 times
In regard to the racism issue here (offtopic):
It seems that there is more casual and violent racism in Germany against anyone who isnt Middle Eastern or Muslim than vice versa. At least thats the case in Berlin and the urban areas. Two weeks ago a young German of Asian origin died after a Turkish youth gang beat him up for no reason. The news and discussions on that case spread like wildfire. Assaults by neo-Nazi thugs are rare outside of bleak and desolate areas in Eastern Germany.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,915,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
No. That is false. Nationality does not matter. You are talking about the states who generally charge those 500 Euros. I said foreigners pay the same as locals. So, yes, they would be paying the 500.
My bad, that seems to only have been the case in the state I am from originally (Hessen) which has since abolished tuition fees. When I went to college there it was 500 (plus 200 administrative fees) Euros for EU citizens and 1500 (again plus 200) for those from outside the EU.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,695,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
My bad, that seems to only have been the case in the state I am from originally (Hessen) which has since abolished tuition fees. When I went to college there it was 500 (plus 200 administrative fees) Euros for EU citizens and 1500 (again plus 200) for those from outside the EU.
I just asked a friend (American) who studied in Giessen. He did pay the same as the locals. And that's how I know it.
Well, for the 200 you get a ticket (public transportation). I think it's valid throughout the semester. So that's a great deal.
It's about the same as you'd pay in France.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,915,661 times
Quote:
I just asked a friend (American) who studied in Giessen. He did pay the same as the locals. And that's how I know it.
Well, for the 200 you get a ticket (public transportation). I think it's valid throughout the semester. So that's a great deal.
It's about the same as you'd pay in France.
Not sure if your German is good enough: www.akbp.de/AKBp_Nicht-EU-BuergerInnen.pdf

Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM

437 posts, read 517,430 times
Quote:
You watched to many Hitler speeches.

That's what has kept me from visiting Germany every time I go to Europe. I love WW2 history and visiting the memorial sites and war museums. But every time I think about going to Germany the Nazi documentaries begin to play in my head. The ones with Hitler giving those angry, racist speeches and the HUGE crowds cheering him on with "Heil...Heil...Heil..." and "Sieg Heil". Yeah, I know this is silly since its been so many years since the Nazis and most Germans have put all that behind them. But what a time that was!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM

668 posts, read 820,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post

Also I'm black. The only schools I was interested in were in Berlin. But I heard East Germany including Berlin was real racist. Is it so bad that I shouldn't go there?
Forget East Germany, mate, it is a no-go area for people of color. Move to the West Germany, at best to the countries like Hessen, Hamburg or NRW.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM

668 posts, read 820,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
The economy in Germany is very good compared to rest of Europe and parts of the U.S.
However, Germans are not that friendly to immigrants, but they still have large Middle Eastern population (Especially Turkish). Sorry, but since you're black, you will have hard time in Germany, and basically anywhere in Europe due to racism and intolerance towards immigrants (especially if you look different from them), but not to say there are no blacks in Germany.

Move to Canada (Not Quebec unless you speak French) and you will live and love it better!
No doubt that the quality of life in the West Germany is more higher as in Canada or the US.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,695,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not sure if your German is good enough: www.akbp.de/AKBp_Nicht-EU-BuergerInnen.pdf
There's always google translate But it says they "koennen".

Lol, that source is a little biased, don't you think? The tone is getting somewhat harsh at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
Forget East Germany, mate, it is a no-go area for people of color. Move to the West Germany, at best to the countries like Hessen, Hamburg or NRW.
Maybe you shouldn't be talking about something you're clueless about. So it's time to butt out. Take a hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
That's what has kept me from visiting Germany every time I go to Europe. I love WW2 history and visiting the memorial sites and war museums. But every time I think about going to Germany the Nazi documentaries begin to play in my head. The ones with Hitler giving those angry, racist speeches and the HUGE crowds cheering him on with "Heil...Heil...Heil..." and "Sieg Heil". Yeah, I know this is silly since its been so many years since the Nazis and most Germans have put all that behind them. But what a time that was!
Somebody should fix your head. Looks like there's a big mess in there.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,956,573 times
Quote:
Somebody should fix your head. Looks like there's a big mess in there.
...this is not uncommon from Americans. WWII & The Nazis are a popular topic here. Becuase they were so EEeeevil.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe