U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sweden is more like
Finland 13 12.87%
Norway 88 87.13%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM

15,474 posts, read 17,637,856 times

Advertisements

Scandinavia was a country. At least they were a united Kingdom for centuries after the Black Death.

Thankfully that's over. Now Norway answers to no one!!!!

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 AM

887 posts, read 1,373,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Almost as false as "Finland is closer to Russia than Sweden". I suggest you leave your small circles. Leave your puukko at home.

Vieraiden kielten osaaminen vuosina 1995, 2000 ja 2006 (18–64-vuotias väestö)

Percentage of Finns speaking foreign languages. Four levels, from basic to excellent knowledge in 2006.
English 82%, Swedish 65%, German 33%, French 11%, Russian 6%, Spanish 6%.

There aren't any signs that Fenno-Swedes are disappearing from Finland. About Åland, I don't even want to say anything. Your ignorance is shocking.
Your graph suggests people on average are becoming better educated in various languages accross the board. I'm so sorry i typed that the % of finlandsvensk would be declining, when i should have clarified that the % of those who speak swedish as their first language has been slowly but steadily declining. I guess i don't really draw a difference between the two, they're all finnish people to me. It's of course up for debate if that declining % equals to the influence of the swedish language declining in Finland overall.

FYI, the puukkojunkkari knifefighters were a part of everyday life here maybe 120-130 years ago. Kind of begs a question, how often do you leave your small circles?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM

317 posts, read 329,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
Your graph suggests people on average are becoming better educated in various languages accross the board. I'm so sorry i typed that the % of finlandsvensk would be declining, when i should have clarified that the % of those who speak swedish as their first language has been slowly but steadily declining. I guess i don't really draw a difference between the two, they're all finnish people to me. It's of course up for debate if that declining % equals to the influence of the swedish language declining in Finland overall.

FYI, the puukkojunkkari knifefighters were a part of everyday life here maybe 120-130 years ago. Kind of begs a question, how often do you leave your small circles?
Vic's right. First-language Swedish speakers have been in steady decline for some time.

Statistics Finland -

That's not to say the influence of the Swedish language has diminished, quite the contrary. They still maintain preferential treatment in university admissions and are, therefore, more highly represented in the respected professions.

Plus the comparative ease of learning Swedish compared to Finnish has also been a point the SFP have been trying to sell to new immigrants. Legitimization can be had in this country if you can manage a level of competence in one of the two "national" languages. Swedish is probably the easier route than climbing the rocky slopes of the Finnish language, notwithstanding the fact that the overwhelming majority of the population either can't or won't speak Swedish to them.

Puukkojunkkarit are so 19th century, Ariete. Now we have the Dudesons.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:32 PM

24,268 posts, read 18,682,043 times
I'll answer to you both in my thread, no need for this kind of off-topic.

On-topic: as BigSwede mentioned, it's quite geographical. A Northern Swede will probably share more with a Northern Finn and Norwegian than with a Scania Swede, who on the other hand will have more in common with a Dane than his/her northern compatriot. Overall, Sweden is closer to Norway than Finland, but the real differences are quite small. The societies, the culture and values of the people in general are similar.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,339,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'll answer to you both in my thread, no need for this kind of off-topic.

On-topic: as BigSwede mentioned, it's quite geographical. A Northern Swede will probably share more with a Northern Finn and Norwegian than with a Scania Swede, who on the other hand will have more in common with a Dane than his/her northern compatriot. Overall, Sweden is closer to Norway than Finland, but the real differences are quite small. The societies, the culture and values of the people in general are similar.
I agree with y'all on this. I didn't even answer the poll, because I can't pick. Like BigSwede said first, in northern Sweden, the Finnish presence is more known, and in southern Sweden it's more similar to (Denmark) Norway.

However, I'd say that the Swedish media is closer to Finland than Norway - there are Finnish newsprograms and as a child I would oftentimes watch Finnish-speaking TV-shows. Of course there are quite a few Norweigan produced shows on TV now, but no special shows made for them. Sweden does have a pretty big population with Finnish cultural/ethnic roots.

But all in all, given our history with both countries, we're equally close to both of them.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,833,443 times
Is the accent/dialect of Swedish different/more Finnish sounding in the North compared to the South?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 AM

23,650 posts, read 65,770,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Is the accent/dialect of Swedish different/more Finnish sounding in the North compared to the South?
In the Norrbotten province lots of people has a finnish or sami accent.
Many people are also more comfortable speaking finnish or meänkieli.
I think the accent closer to the norwegian border is more sami than norwegian.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 AM

1,140 posts, read 901,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
In the Norrbotten province lots of people has a finnish or sami accent.
Many people are also more comfortable speaking finnish or meänkieli.
I think the accent closer to the norwegian border is more sami than norwegian.
My swedish lanquage is now some what "Rusty" (Sure can understand what others others are saying and talk it some how, just after teenage i did better) but exsample when sitting on bar with my friends, lanquage turns sometimes to swedish and then back to finnish and nobody dont give any attentation on this issue....But sometimes when I hear orginal "Skåne" accent, comes to mind that I have lost my skills to understand swedish lanquage

Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 AM

23,650 posts, read 65,770,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
My swedish lanquage is now some what "Rusty" (Sure can understand what others others are saying and talk it some how, just after teenage i did better) but exsample when sitting on bar with my friends, lanquage turns sometimes to swedish and then back to finnish and nobody dont give any attentation on this issue....But sometimes when I hear orginal "Skåne" accent, comes to mind that I have lost my skills to understand swedish lanquage
No one in Sweden understands the scanian accent either.
I regret I didn´t learn finnish when I was younger though, but at least I can order a cup of coffee.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM

607 posts, read 2,063,667 times
Norway and Sweden are much more similar to eachother than they are to finland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or